MIDIbox SID V2 Release + Feedback

TK.

upper byte: [6:0] parameter value

what parameter is this ? accent  value ?

It's the free assignable parameter as described in the User Manual (search for "parameter")

I looking for a solution how to trigger different seq-lines without a keyboard. So my new FR: Trigger Sequences without ext. Keyboard (double-use of buttons ?!?) e.g. i have 10 menue buttons - so with shift pressed there could be a triggermessage for the 1st or 4th or 8th sequence etc.

You can already select the sequences with the 8 row (R channel) and 8 column (L channel) buttons of the LED matrix. Just add them to your CS (w/o LEDs), it's the best solution, it's especially nice if you want to select&play a certain sequence in the edit page (you don't need to change the menu to select a different sequence)

Best Regards, Thorsten.

• Replies 341
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[...]

so, i've make some test with my bassline in MIDI synch and i've notice that reciveing midiclok from Ableton Live 7.02 frezee the Control Surface / LCD if i try to change the speed value of the SEQ. The machine continue to play but i must reboot. This happen in Auto and Slave mode.

[...]

problem solved upgradeing to rc21.

tnx TK.

problem solved upgradeing to rc21.

Do you think that this was an issue in rc19, or could it be related to your private code changes? A typical error is to direct access RAM locations >= 0x60 w/o using BANKED access type (and ensuring, that BSR is set correctly). On such a programming error, you could easily overwrite variables of the CS.

best release ever :) nice experimental Bassline features !  :P

thank you!

Finally it's possible to give a bassline the real SID touch :)

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Do you think that this was an issue in rc19, or could it be related to your private code changes? A typical error is to direct access RAM locations >= 0x60 w/o using BANKED access type (and ensuring, that BSR is set correctly). On such a programming error, you could easily overwrite variables of the CS.

Best Regards, Thorsten.

well, my changes are very few and i have not wrote new functions but i can't assume that i've make some bad error managing the code. i've add nothing to app_defines.h too.

i've just added 2 new pages, redirect the CS_MENU_BUTTON_Osc_Ctrl to that one changing CS_MENU_ENC_TABLE_B, so i've just cut and paste same piece of code from rc19 to rc21.

i will make a compare to the original rc19 and i will tell you if i find any error by my side.

..the O23 page it's the best unexpected feature.  ;D

tnx.

G.

best release ever :) nice experimental Bassline features !  :P

I produce this little Bassline Track only 1 Loop, 1 Ride and 1 Midibox SID 8580R5 V2 Release 21

Great!

I especially like the groaning bass sound!

Blogged :)

Best Regards, Thorsten.

as i'm a lucky owner of a mb6582, i dont like the idea to have an external midi sequencer, it's my new "groovebox" ! ;)

That makes me excited! Ive kept a blind eye to the firmware development, but now im only days off finishing my 6882, I cant wait to try the sequencer features etc.

[tt]

RC22:

o "menu labels" (activated if DEFAULT_LCD_LINES >= 3) now completely implemented

o added keyboard transpose function for bassline sequencer. MIDI channels and

keyboard zones have to be configured for L/R bassline seperately with

ensemble instrument 3 and 4. The transposer uses C-3 as base note.

Example configuration:

Ins1 Chn 1 SpL C-3 SpU B-3 Trn 0     L Bassline sequence selected with key C-3..B-3

Ins2 Chn 1 SpL C-4 SpU G-8 Trn 0     R Bassline sequence selected with key C-4..

Ins3 Chn 1 SpL c-2 SpU B-2 Trn +12   L Bassline sequence transposed with lower keys until B-2

Ins4 Chn 1 SpL c-2 SpU B-2 Trn +12   R same as for L

"Trn +12" is required in this setup to compensate the octave range of the transposer

(base note C-3 is outside the selected keyboard zone c-2..B-2)

o bassline and drum sequences not stopped anymore on patch changes

o random generator for bassline O23 settings

[/tt]

Have fun! :)

Best Regards, Thorsten.

hello

in rc22 when i select an osc i can change transpose but the fine tune down one octave whatever the value ......

....the new interface is so great !!!

it's happen to me too.

i've a feature req. for bassilne but i don't know if would be useful to all. when LR are selected under SQC page, just L Seq number is displayed. So if i change the value both Line jump to that Seq number. (note: i use the Menu Encoder to change it). Some time i need to change both Line, but each one to just 1 step up. (note: i use 1-4 for L and 5-8 for R, so i can have 2 chorded bassline L+R without jumping, 1-5 2-6 3-7 4-8).

The feature permit to change both Line stepping up so 1-5 became 2-6 etc.

I know this is a very personal feature, and there are many way to do that with a seq, or a keyboard, but i don't use. :)

tnx.

G.

in rc22 when i select an osc i can change transpose but the fine tune down one octave whatever the value

Ok, you will already find a fixed version of sid_se.inc in the repository

i've a feature req. for bassilne but i don't know if would be useful to all. when LR are selected under SQC page, just L Seq number is displayed. So if i change the value both Line jump to that Seq number. (note: i use the Menu Encoder to change it). Some time i need to change both Line, but each one to just 1 step up. (note: i use 1-4 for L and 5-8 for R, so i can have 2 chorded bassline L+R without jumping, 1-5 2-6 3-7 4-8).

The feature permit to change both Line stepping up so 1-5 became 2-6 etc.

I can understand, that this is a nice-to-have feature, but it leads to inconsistencies.

The CS functions are not prepared for read-modify-write operations. They always copy CS_MENU_PARAMETER_L (visible value) to the selected value(s), therefore seperate incremental changes are not possible. So, a special handling would be required, this increases the danger for bugs if I don't test this parameter before each release.

Additional inconsistency: In all menus, values are changed this way - using a seperate approach for this particular menu item can be confusing.

It's also unclear, how the sequence number of the second bassline should be handled, if it is currently deselected ("-") - this could be confusing for the user as well.

Therefore I reject this request.

But you should be able to add such a special feature easily by yourself into your customized menu page by determining the incremental change and modifying the value directly (and not via P2R/R2P functions)

Best Regards, Thorsten.

I think I've noticed a bug in rc22:

Drum Engine,

SQC-Menu,

I want to change the Length. The length at the moment is n.

I press the button below "Len", now the Screen shows

"Parameter Assign"

"[n-1]| [Parameter name/Knob number]"

depending on how long the sequence was before pressing the Len-button, the parameter number is n-1.

example:

Len=16 -> push the Len-button -> "15|Knob  KNOB#A"

Len=5 -> Push the Len-button -> "4|CutOff  Filter"

While I'm in the Parameter assign menu, I can change the Length by counting the detents of the menu-encoder

example

Len=16 -> push the Len-button -> "15|Knob  KNOB#A" -> Turn the menu encoder 11 detents anit-clockwise -> push the menu-button to exit

-> Len=5

regards

matthias

How is this ...

In MBSID V1, wavetables were only stored in EEPROM due to limited RAM of PIC18F452. And writing into an EEPROM takes a lot of time - you can calculate ca. 2 mS per byte. For 128 bytes this makes 256 mS!

However, there is a simple solution which has been integrated for this purpose: use CC#12 to change to another Wavetable which is already stored in BankStick.

This CC gives you --> ZERO LATENCY <-- access to up to 128 wavetables per bank! :-)

... solved in the V2-Release ?? This is no FR, i'm just curious about it. Is there a another way to select/ switch wavetables ?

Best regards

Yes, it's solved - the whole patch (+wavetables/sequences/etc) is stored in RAM.

And not only this: it's stored twice! (for non-destructive modulations/knob assignments) :)

Best Regards, Thorsten.

just when i want to start making music with the multi-engine i found out that it isn't possible to edit the WT like in the lead-engine. thats a real shame  :( . Is there any other workaround for that ?  ???

I must say that I don't understand your question. The WT editor is the same, only difference: 6 tracks instead of 4.

So, why is this a shame?

Is this normal behavior ? When i set wt for osc pitch the the tone does not change when i press another key. I'm in multi-engine on rc22.

Which assignment are you using exactly?

Transpose and Key (Note) assignments are working fine at my side

It's really difficult to reproduce an issue if you don't tell me your exact configuration.

Best Regards, Thorsten.

I must say that I don't understand your question. The WT editor is the same, only difference: 6 tracks instead of 4.

So, why is this a shame?

I just miss the possibility to edit the WT Beginnig-, End- and Looppoints per CC's like in the Lead-Engine.

Which assignment are you using exactly?

Sorry for that. I should have been more specific.

My assignment:

Multi-Engine

WTC - Ins3 - Para:252 (Note I3) - Spd:8 - Beg:20 - End:23 - Lop:20

WTE - Step 0 - 00

Step 1 - 03

Step 2 - 07

This should play a "chord" to my pressed note on my keyboard. But it doesn't. It plays the same three (0-3-7) notes whatever key i press. No transposing. So where is my fault ?

I just miss the possibility to edit the WT Beginnig-, End- and Looppoints per CC's like in the Lead-Engine.

The problem: there are only 256 parameter slots free, and all are allocated, see also:

http://svnmios.midibox.org/filedetails.php?repname=svn.mios&path=%2Ftrunk%2Fapps%2Fsynthesizers%2Fmidibox_sid_v2%2Fdoc%2Fmbsidv2_parameter_chart.txt

So - which parameters could be removed to provide this function?

My assignment:

Multi-Engine

WTC - Ins3 - Para:252 (Note I3) - Spd:8 - Beg:20 - End:23 - Lop:20

WTE - Step 0 - 00

Step 1 - 03

Step 2 - 07

This should play a "chord" to my pressed note on my keyboard. But it doesn't. It plays the same three (0-3-7) notes whatever key i press. No transposing. So where is my fault ?

For chords you have to use "Ky1", "Ky2", "Ky3", "Ky4" (last parameters) - I just noticed, that they don't work in the multi engine. I've to check, if a solution is possible (could be difficult, as note stacks are not handled the same way like in the lead engine)

On the other hand: if you only want to transpose a played Note, just assign the track to the transpose parameter (#41).

Best Regards, Thorsten.

So - which parameters could be removed to provide this function?

Hm ... good question. Counterquestion ... how many users really need/ use all 6 voices in Multi-Engine in a stereo-sid environment? I would half the parameter for the 6 voices and let them controll both audio-channels to get space for Wavetable-Parameters like in LeadEngine.

For chords you have to use "Ky1", "Ky2", "Ky3", "Ky4" (last parameters) - I just noticed, that they don't work in the multi engine. I've to check, if a solution is possible (could be difficult, as note stacks are not handled the same way like in the lead engine)

Ky# - does it mean a pressed note on a keyboard ? Didn't try.

On the other side isn't entering the notes in a 00...03...07 manner the same like as entering the absolute notes ? It's just a comfortable way, isnt it ?

But for real chip-tunes the one-note-transposed way would be better IMO

Best regards

Christian

Christian: I haven't forgotten this issue, and will work on a solution soon (to get Ky1..4 for transposed notes working again).

However, for the parameter assignments there is no hope, especially because the WT sequencer is organized differently compared to the lead engine. While the lead engine provides 4 independent tracks for a single stereo sound, the multi engine only provides a single track for 6 different sounds. Accordingly, controlling parameters of one instrument from another instrument can only work under special circumstances (e.g. same MIDI channel, keyboard zone, legato/mono/poly/WT only setting, etc...)

I don't understand, why you see absolute values instead of the Note. I mean: if a Note parameter is assigned to the track, you should see the Note, e.g. C-1, C#1, D-1, D#1, etc. (and Ky1..4 for value 7C..7F)

Or could it be, that you are trying to send the notes from a track which doesn't belong to the instrument? As mentioned above: this could be possible, but only under special circumstances.

However, RC23 is available now. It's only a service release with precompiled .hex files for the finetune fix, no new (official) features (ok, there is a new upcoming feature, which is disabled by default since it has to be tested by the guy who suggested it - Razmo :) - linear oscillator pitch modulation)

Best Regards, Thorsten.