MIDIbox SID V2 Release + Feedback

TK.

Consider, that using Oneshot without Sync is an illegal configuration. It could somehow lead to an interesting effect, it could lead to no effect at all, but in general it doesn't make sense to use it this way.

I've the impression, that you don't reflect about my statements completely.

E.g., I wrote why Oneshot without Sync doesn't make sense, but you are still writing about switching on/off Sync while Oneshot is active in a way, that it isn't clear to me if you want to complain about the behaviour or not.

Or another case: I wrote that the right channel bassline is currently flawed, but you continued to report unexpected effects.

A discussion on such a basis is very time consuming and not really constructive.

Video demos: fine!  But please wait until the right channel bassline is working properly again (or use rc17 or earlier).

I'm planning to test the java based editor in the next days, and will have some time to work on the firmware again.

Best Regards, Thorsten.

• Replies 341
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice demo :)

Finally I guess that I understand what you mean - the effect itself is well known to me. I'm doing similar things with lead patches --- here we have the advantage that the LFO reset is part of the trigger matrix, so that the waveform can be controlled from any trigger source, not only by the gate. E.g., another LFO, an envelope, MIDI clock, etc...

The bassline doesn't provide such a flexibility because of the reduced parameter set.

Btw.: you are able to synchronize the LFO rate to the BPM generator (set CSn flag, and use rates >= 245)

RC19 is available for download now; ChangeLog:

o Enhancements for SysEx Editor
    (see also doc/mbsidv2_sysex_implementation.txt)
    - introduced <WOPT> function which allows to change parameters of
      multiple voices with a single SysEx command
    - introduced <sids> selection which allows to access slave SIDs
      via master SID (command 0C 00 <sids>)
    - added SysEx command for all notes/sequences off (command 0C 08)
    - added SysEx command to play the current patch (command 0C 09 [<ins>])
      Note: for proper handling of <ins>, seperate keyboard zones or MIDI channels
      for multi instruments are currently required - this is no bug,
      but just an imperfection (I was too lazy to overwork SID_PATCH_NotesOn yet)
  o parameter assignment/patch/bank selection: "big message" now displayed
    immediately when menu item has been selected
  o The "note off" function of the SHIFT menu now works as "Note On/Off" (called "Ply")
    This function is intended as replacement for the optional Play button
    Patch will be played/stopped on all selected SIDs
  o Removed button combination "SIDx+MENU" (which was previously used for Play function)
    This combination could get a different purpose in future
  o LFOs and ENVs of right channel bassline working properly again
  o AOUT_LC driver now supports 12/12/8 resolution (requires 4 combined 74HC595)
[/code]

Best Regards, Thorsten.

uhm.. may i.. don't hit me tk!

rc19 uploaded, some cut/paste for my code.  :)

with this release switching on the One Shot flag, the LFO it's cut off during him curve and not wait until the end like in rc18 happen.  :-[

i'll go to search what you had change daddy!

Thats correct - if one or more LFO periods have already been processed after the last synchronisation, setting the oneshot flag will cause an immediate stop at phase 255.

Just let the oneshot flag set, and if the LFO waveform should be retriggered, set the sync flag, wait for LFO reset, clear the flag. Thats the intended behaviour, and I'm not planning to change this. The previous - wrong - behaviour was related to the right channel flaws (overrun flags located at wrong bit positions)

Best Regards, Thorsten.

RC20 is available now, it contains some bugfixes:

o Multi Engine: arp handler working properly again

o Lead Engine: ENV encoder section working properly again

o increased startup delay, so that slave cores will be found even if no BankStick connected

Best Regards, Thorsten.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry to post here, I thought it better than to start a thread..

I've searched and read and read, and am not clear if two SID playing different sounds can be set to the same MIDI channel in an Ensemble (and the user edit the two sounds independently via FP and MIDI). The User Manual implies that multiple sounds can be zoned on a keyboard on a single MIDI channel, and that different SIDs/sound can be of course set on different MIDI channels. I'm into using voice pairs to create single sounds of greater complexity...and will the 6582 allow a four-voice mode where two sounds may be layered/edited/played via one keyboard/MIDI channel?

I assume from the MIDI channel selection note in the Bassline manual that it can, but assumption has bitten me on the ass many times. Thanks for an incredible set of projects and initiatives.

This can be done with the Multi Engine.

It gives you individual access to the 6 voices, and when you disable Poly mode and assign the voices to specific oscillators, you can create very complex layer sounds (more complex than with the lead engine, as each voice has it's own LFO/ENV). Or you can assign the voices to different keyboard zones/channels to create C64ish tunes...

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Thank you for your fast reply, but neither of those behaviours are what I am after...I'm looking to hear two SID chips at once, played by the same track or controller, with each producing an entirely different sound, and to edit the two patches into a more interesting whole (two filters at once, for example. Basic "Ah" sounds can be created with two resonant lowpass at once, or a resonant LP plus a BP. Contrary motion in resonant peaks is wonderful as well, much less what can be done with different oscillator tunings per chip, etc. Yamaha FM pianos were often done using two carriers at different pitches, one for the piano body and one for the tine.).

If the engine does not allow for two sounds/chips to respond simultaneously to a single input, it would preclude live playing, but would allow for the user to copy sequencer tracks to adjacent MIDI channels...

Ok - but this is just the lead engine! Left and right channel settings can be edited indidually, you only need to decide by yourself, how to partitionate the available LFOs and ENVs. Merge the two audio channels, and you are done. I assumed, that you are asking for something more advanced - and the answer is: explore the multi engine in conjunction with some clever ensemble settings ;)

Best Regards, Thorsten.

P.S.: for the case that this hint is hidden in the user manual too well enough: press SHIFT+Select button #1 in order to edit sound parameters of both channels, L or R only (3 options are available: LR, L-, -R)

Got a small problem with the V2.0_rc20 and a 2x40 LCD. The display works perfect in 4bit mode, no problems at all displaying the characters and menus. But when I switch back from a submenu, for example the OSC menu where the whole 40 characters are used the right upper part of the LCD is not cleared and displays the characters of the previous selected menu. Any idea?

lcd_error_thumb.gif

2746_lcd_error_gif1e3bb4258656e748db1913

• 3 weeks later...

a lot of time far away from the forum.. uff.

so, i've make some test with my bassline in MIDI synch and i've notice that reciveing midiclok from Ableton Live 7.02 frezee the Control Surface / LCD if i try to change the speed value of the SEQ. The machine continue to play but i must reboot. This happen in Auto and Slave mode.

Later i will make some other tests with different programs.

Configuration:

Midibox Sid 2.0rc19

Ableton Live 7.02

Midi usb Device, ESI ROMIO II (no drivers)

Device send just Synch, not Track or Remote.

:-\

There is a new release candidate RC21 with some new features, especially useful for MB-6582 users and bassline fetishists :)

[tt]

o added "Log" flag to ENS->FIL menu: cutoff frequency converted through log function

to achieve better linearisation of 8580 filter

o Filter Keytracking parameter now also available for Lead Engine, the scaling has been slightly

changed, so that the maximum value 255 leads to 1:1 tracking (e.g. if 8580 Log function activated,

or an external filter is connected)

o added "DOR" flag to the ENS->SID menu: Disable automatic Oscillator Reset during patch change

could also be called DAORDPC flag ;-)

o MB-6582 setup: swapped page up/down button, added Inc/Dec button function

o support for 4x20 LCD has used for MB-6582: DEFAULT_LCD_LINES and DEFAULT_LCD_LINE_Y* can

be configured in the setup_*.asm file

o MB-6582 screen now centered at 2nd and 3rd line

o if DEFAULT_LCD_LINES >= 3, the name of the menu will be print at the upper line

TODO: add more informative messages, e.g. selected oscillators, audio channel, LFO, etc...

o if DEFAULT_LCD_LINES >= 4: the value of the currently edited parameter will be displayed

as horizontal meter bar at the lower LCD line

TODO: display bidirectional parameters like "depth" with a left/right splitted meter

TODO: update when a new OSC/Channel/SID is selected

o the "blinking LCD cursor" which was set to the selected parameter position is

disabled by default now (DEFAULT_LCD_PRINT_CURSOR set to 0), since it clashes with

the horizontal meter output routine

o added experimental features to bassline engine:

- new menu page O23 which allows to use OSC2 and OSC3 as slave oscillators

- waveforms of slave oscillators can be selected seperately

- individual sync and ringmod flags

- individual octavewise transpose

- individual pulsewidth

- optional static note (decoupled from master osc) for nice sync/ringmod effects or chords

- phase offset

- detune

- TODO: Knob assignments and maybe more functions

[/tt]

Some of the new features are work in progress (missing planned functions are marked with TODO)

Best Regards, Thorsten.

thanks for this great release. These are some really nice bassline-features.

:)

FR: Is it possible to get a simple transpose function in the sequencer ? While copying a sequence it would be nice to transpose it. Thats better than touch every note/ step again.

Nice idea, I'm missing this possibility as well!

How about following solution:

controlling the base note of L and R bassline via MIDI channel and keyboard zones defined for Ensemble Instrument #3 and #4

This would cover following use cases:

- pattern selection via INS #1 and #2 settings as today

- no transpose so long no MIDI channels are assigned to these instruments

- if same channels are assigned to INS #1..4, and seperate zones for #1, #2 and #3/#4, you can control transpose from the same keyboard that you are using for pattern selection

- but it would also be possible to play the basslines with different base notes from different zones or channels (-> from a different keyboard, or MIDI sequencer track)

- assigning INS #3 and #4 of all SID cores to the same channel/zones would allow to control the base note of 8 basslines from the same keyboard. This could also be perfectly combined with MBSEQ (as it provides a split point for the transpose function as well)

Best Regards, Thorsten.

There is neither enough RAM, nor free memory in the Patch structure to store sequences of patterns. It's a minor feature anyhow, there are enough alternative possibilities (e.g. sequencing from an external MIDI sequencer)

Best Regards, Thorsten.

yes... i know about the patch structure (as i'm workin on a alternative patch editor, as you know)

of course, it's allready great as is, but as i'm a lucky owner of a mb6582, i dont like the idea to have an external midi sequencer, it's my new "groovebox" ! ;)

then, i have a question :

...  | Sequence Storage - Structure:
 ...  |   2 bytes for each step (selected with address bit #7)
 ...  |   lower byte: [3:0] note, [5:4] octave, [6] glide, [7] gate
 ...  |   upper byte: [6:0] parameter value, [7] accent

upper byte: [6:0] parameter value

what parameter is this ? accent  value ?

thanks !

... i dont like the idea to have an external midi sequencer, it's my new "groovebox" !
Do use an external keyboard to change your sequences ? I looking for a solution how to trigger different seq-lines without a keyboard. So my new FR: Trigger Sequences without ext. Keyboard (double-use of buttons ?!?) e.g. i have 10 menue buttons - so with shift pressed there could be a triggermessage for the 1st or 4th or 8th sequence etc.