edrum with sid

syamajala

hi! I am currently in the process of building a 22 channel edrum (www.edrum.info). The edrum is basically a trigger to midi converter module. I was wondering if anyone has used an edrum with a sid or fm module. I am really interested in building my own midibox after I finish the edrum, so I don't need to use a computer with the edrum. I do not know very much about midi hardware, but I have been playing the drums for about 5 years, and have taken electrical engineering in my school. I built an amplifier using vacuum tubes before too.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi syamajala,

I have edrum and mbfm and mbsid both :) see my homepage at http://web.t-online.hu/gyurek

I prefer mbfm for use with edrum, but fm drums sounds very poor for me.

I started to build a drum synthesizer/sampler, based on

- an old 486 mainboard (fanless - noiseless)

- Sound Blaster AWE soundcard - the only card with onboard ram for sample playback, onboard fm sound, reverb/chorus, spdif digital output for noiseless recording, and midi i/o

- 512 MB Compactflash card (for os and drum samples)

- 16x2 lcd connected to lpt port

- 4 buttons and 4 pots connected to game port

- os based on dos with original sb drivers

- will fit on a 2U rack

Still work-in-progess, but sounds much better for drums.

Cheers,

Gyurek

Is it faesible to install an OS on to compact flash like this? I remember reading that they only have a certain amount of read/rights before they start oing corrupt and become unusable. I suppose it wouldn't matter too much when looking at the cost of a card tha size but would mean regukar back-ups. Maybe an old laptop hard-drive would last longer.

Is it faesible to install an OS on to compact flash like this? I remember reading that they only have a certain amount of read/rights before they start oing corrupt and become unusable.

That was a tip given to me in here I believe. I can dig the thread up later if you can't find it. With my setup, the actual speed of the CF being used as an IDE drive was quite horrible for some reason. Transfer speed and (more importantly) CPU usage were both pretty bad, but it was indeed "dead quiet".

Take Care,

George

I've also read that due to mechanisms in the firmware called wear levelling, that the read-writes get spread around the physical blocks of memory and give the memory a much better chance at survival.

That much said, if your data doesn't exist in at least 2-3 places, it might as well not exist.

Back

Up.