Yet another person who can't upload the sid application, Please Help!!!

jaywar

So after an 8 or 9 month break I'm back at the SID (I feel I'm really close!):

Core from Smash Mouth: PIC 18F4620, BSL v. 1.2, MIOS v. 1.9c

Sid: V1

What is working so far:

My LCD is working, backlit and all. It says "Ready"

I setup Miosstudio with the proper connections and I've got Midi successfully coming out of my computer.

I've done all of the voltage/ground checks in the Midi Trouble shooting guide. It all checks out.

I checked the Midi In plug and it's correctly connected (same with the Midi out on the IIC Midi module)

If I send midi I can make an LED blink at the "Midi In" on the core.

My Problem:

If I try to upload the sid program with feedback from the core on, it stops after the first small chunk of code. I've read somewhere on this site, that that's a common problem. Is there a way around it? Can I have SmashTV just send me a PIC with the sid program already on it?

If I turn feedback from the core off, when the upload is finished, it restarts the core as it's supposed to, but the LCD still says "ready."

Some other strange behaviors I've noticed:

Last night after trying to upload a bunch of times, measuring some voltages, playing with LEDs on the Midi connections the IIC Midi module started turning on it's activity light for long periods of time (although I wasn't seeing any Midi coming in in Miosstudio). Then the core would re-start, sometimes hanging up at the copyright/date notice.

Anyone have any thoughts on what to check? Is the PIC messed up? Thanks!

Hi Jaywar,

no, it isn't required to recompile code.

If I try to upload the sid program with feedback from the core on, it stops after the first small chunk of code. I've read somewhere on this site, that that's a common problem.

No, this isn't a common problem. The root cause has to be found.

First question: you wrote that the MIDI In of your PC is connected to the MIDI Out of the IIC Module.

But has the MIOS installation been prepared for communication with the IIC module?

This has to be done by changing the PIC ID header. If this hasn't been done by SmashTV, you need to do this by yourself by using the change_id application (-> upload the iic_midi_10.hex file). So long the IIC module is not accessed from MIOS, use the MIDI Out of your core module.

If you already did this, then check the J3 jumpers of your IIC_MIDI module - the have to be stuffed (closed) to select device ID 10.

Best Regards, Thorsten.

• 2 weeks later...

So, I got the new core from SmashTV (18f452 with BSL v 1.2B and MIOS v1.9F). I put it in, re-wired the core so that the IIC was no longer connected and the midi out was connected to the core midi out instead. I get the "ready" message on the LCD, but when I try to upload the sid program, still no feedback from the core after the first chunk of code is uploaded. But now I have the core spitting this out (endlessly):

midierrorsea7.jpg

and this is the error I get when I try to upload the sid program:

picture2cr0.jpg

Any ideas on what to check/test?

Thanks!!!

???

I ran into this before with mine, but can't remember exactly what I did.  :-[

the endless sysex messages (if I remember right) are upload requests.

try this....

turn off the Core for 5-10 seconds. While off, turn on smart mode and "wait for upload request" in MIOS studio, select the hex file and hit start.

then turn on the Core.

If no success, try it again without the "wait for upload request" and hit start after rebooting the core.

If that doesn't work....

turn off again for another 5-10 seconds. Turn on manual mode and "wait for upload request" and set the delay to about 50-100ms. Hit start, turn on the core.

if that doesn't get it, try the same thing without the "wait for upload request" after rebooting while the core is on.

I had to try it a few times myself to get mine to take the upload.

just keep trying different ways and it should eventually take it.  :-\

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

:) No, I hadn't seen that one, but I have since seen a few with the same general idea (but mine was inspired by the artist Joseph Cornell's "Cornell Boxes"). Great minds think alike! Plus, I think us midiboxers like to show off all of our hard work! If anyone else is interested in a similar mounting scheme, it's a $5.00 shadow box from everyone's favorite Swedish friend (plus some fancy veneer work  ;) ).

Oh, and it is mounted to the wall (the reason I came up with this solution—I wanted to hang it on the wall behind my keyboard!).