mbSID v2 "live" concept

nILS

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I would place the "channel" buttons close to the "oscillator" buttons, because they belong together.

A start/stop button for the arps & sequencers could be useful for live situations as well.

Bankstick up/down: wouldn't it be better to replace it by a single button, which a) jumps back to the main page, and b) alternates the datawheel function for incrementing the bank instead of patch.

Currently we have a similar behaviour for ensembles when pressing the menu button within the main page, but you could spent a special button for ensembles as well.

Summary: replace Bank Inc/Dec by Bank/Ensemble button

Usecases: press&hold Bank button: CS jumps to main page, datawheel increments bank

press&hold Ensemble button: CS jumps to main page, datawheel increments ensemble

press&release bank or ensemble button: CS jumps to main page, datawheel increments patch

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Summary: replace Bank Inc/Dec by Bank/Ensemble button

Wilba already brought that up today. ;-) The way it's set up atm is an up down button pair, which flips through ensembles and (with the shift button held down) banksticks.

A start/stop button for the arps & sequencers could be useful for live situations as well.

Good point.

I would place the "channel" buttons close to the "oscillator" buttons, because they belong together.

...which makes sense and once again moves the envelope buttons to some remote locations  :D

Wilba already brought that up today. ;-) The way it's set up atm is an up down button pair, which flips through ensembles and (with the shift button held down) banksticks.

My proposal goes a step further - or do you really want to click through 128 ensembles?

Best Regards, Thorsten.

My proposal goes a step further - or do you really want to click through 128 ensembles?

No, I don't. Adding the functionality to the buttons was just an easy way to have a have way of "fine tuning" rather than having to use an encoder. Adding your idea to the buttons is still possible - but thinking about it made me realise this would lead to two buttons with 3 different functions (press, shift+press, hold+menu encoder), which is probably not really that good an idea.

...this would lead to two buttons with 3 different functions (press, shift+press, hold+menu encoder), which is probably not really that good an idea.

no it wouldn't. you won't need shift and press, cause you have a dedicated button for bank.

increment/decrement buttons are right there already

tk has an elegant solution...

also you could just add the bank button and continue to use the menu button for ensembles

as the buttons should go with the menu controls if you decide to go this way.

You could also call the buttons "Ensemble" and "Patch/Bank".

Bank could be selectable with the datawheel by pressing&Holding the Patch/Bank button.

I don't think that somebody would switch between the 7 banks so often, compared by switching between ensembles and patches. Therefore these functions should get a higher priority.

Best Regards, Thorsten.

no it wouldn't. you won't need shift and press, cause you have a dedicated button for bank.

Yes it would, they way it is set up it now. Again, the way it's set up now is not the way TK suggested.

I don't think that somebody would switch between the 7 banks so often, compared by switching between ensembles and patches. Therefore these functions should get a higher priority.

Exactly - that's why we're still looking into different configurations as we're not completely happy with either one of the ideas yet ;-)

* Ensemble/Bank buttons removed

* Added secondary function to the menu/up/down buttons to go to selection mode for patches, ensembles and banksticks.

* Added Arpeggiator/Sequencer "Start/Stop" button (position temporary)

Some more visuals:

iwannahavethat63.png

also: i wasn't aware you had already done the coding for this...

Yeah, it's just easier to say "The way it's set up now" than "the way it's planned to be and will hopefully be set up after you helped me with the programming after I miserably failed at it" ;-)

The vertical buttons of the modulation matrix are at the wrong side.

It's the same issue as bugfight already pointed out for the LCD menu interface: your right hand covers the matrix when you want to push the buttons - it's especially critical for the matrix, as you need to use your thumb and index finger (hope that this is the right name) accross the LEDs to enable/disable a matrix connection.

Best Regards, Thorsten.

The vertical buttons of the modulation matrix are at the wrong side.

Which would be the case on your SID and the mb6582 as well ;-) Altough you have the matrix on the left side of the panel as well as the labels on the other side of the matrix. I was thinking about adding a second column of buttons on the other side of the matrix.

Which would be the case on your SID and the mb6582 as well ;-) Altough you have the matrix on the left side of the panel as well as the labels on the other side of the matrix. I was thinking about adding a second column of buttons on the other side of the matrix.

I push the matrix buttons with my left hand - it doesn't require so much practice to master this ;-)

Best Regards, Thorsten.

I push the matrix buttons with my left hand - it doesn't require so much practice to master this ;-)

So am I - and so should everyone else and there wouldn't be a problem. Actually, I didn't really see a problem with it in the first place.

So am I - and so should everyone else and there wouldn't be a problem. Actually, I didn't really see a problem with it in the first place.

The problem is, that in live situations you sometimes want to handle control elements with both hands.

E.g., adjusting CutOff before enabling a LFO->CutOff connection, and adjusting CutOff again once you enabled the connection.

Check out my YouTube videos to see what I mean! ;)

Currently you would have to cross your arms to do this.

Best Regards, Thorsten.

The problem is, that in live situations you sometimes want to handle control elements with both hands.

Check out my YouTube videos to see what I mean! ;)

I just checked the youtube videos ;-) I guess this solves the problem:

iwannahavethat64.png

I especially like the new phone pot! :)

Some spontaneous thoughts (you don't need to implement them, just my oppinion):

- remove the buttons at the right side of the matrix, it looks ugly

- add a button for switching between metering and modmatrix view instead

- you will really miss the start/stop button, when you have to press SID1/2/3/4 + the menu button to start all sequencers synchronously

- arrange Envelope selections buttons closer to LFO buttons

- add an encoder for envelope depth - and if you are searching for a second encoder: envelope decay

- add a LED which displays the BPM (should flicker on each beat)

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Some spontaneous thoughts (you don't need to implement them, just my oppinion):

Of course, that's the way we understood your previous comments as well ;-)

- remove the buttons at the right side of the matrix, it looks ugly

Agreed. They were added after the request from you, but we never really liked them either :D

- add a button for switching between metering and modmatrix view instead

Already been done ;-)

We'll (re)consider the rest of your ideas! Thanks,

nILS