mbSID v2 "live" concept

nILS

Ahh this is looking much better now guys. Keep up the good work.

Well, even the first crappy layout had me drooling :D Thanks!

Have you considered allowing for non-illuminated switches and separate LED's?

Not really. And I doubt we will. That would mean a complete redesign of the panel and the panel PCB.

Also, you should let me re-do the kinda graffiti style text in the logo ;)

All the "art" on the panel is more or less temporary - that goes for the logo as well. I actually just put that on there to fill a gap we had about 25 versions back. Feel free to draw something up - vector-based would be nice (svg if possible). :D

EDIT: I just removed the illumination rings from two of the sections to see what it'll look like. I guess, it would be possible to place the LEDs we use to illuminate the plexi rings in a way that you could just leave one of them out and use the other one as a separate LED. I personally don't like it, but it could be done.

s1_thumb.png

1985_s1_png6a2d98e0dc28bfd16931ceb906935

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Great idea lads, its a pretty funky looking Synth keyboard!

Off topic alert!

somehow the envelope buttons location feels weird

I know what you mean.

Having the  filter control on left hand side of the MB6582 is going to annoy the shit out of me think!

I'd feel more comfortable with it on the right for some reason.

Maybe i'd get over it though.

... Having the  filter control on left hand side of the MB6582 is going to annoy the shit out of me think!

hhehe, albeit a lot late than I should, already asked about that to wilba ;D it looks like it was the only way to make all fit... I say it was just a matter of moving the env section to the left and the filter section to the right, a better handling this way but it brakes the visual flow of the signal as it goes thru the controls ->inherited from the old analog synths, look your old and full of knobs gear :P

Fossi: are the buttons going to be custom made with the illuminated ring and all or are you going to use something already available?

Fossi: are the buttons going to be custom made with the illuminated ring and all or are you going to use something already available?

The buttons are those. They'll have a plexi ring around them glued to the panel with 2 LEDs illuminating them.

Agreed. They were added after the request from you, but we never really liked them either :D

Just to clarify: when you are standing in the middle of the keyboard, and the LED matrix is at the right side, you want to have the buttons at the right side as well.

Same vice versa: LED matrix at the left side -> buttons left side

Otherwise your hand will cover the LEDs while pushing the buttons

CAD software with virtual reality interface would be nice to visualize such usability issues ;)

Best Regards, Thorsten.

CAD software with virtual reality interface would be nice to visualize such usability issues ;)

Actually, I just scale the rendering to real-life size and push the virtual buttons on my screen - it's really nice to have two 21" screens sitting on your desk sometimes ;-)

Nope. This would be a pain since the panel isn't 19" compatible (it's 600x130mm)

But, since the front panel PCB will be stuffed with the SRs it would be fairly easy to create a desktop version using the same panel and panel PCB (+ possibly the mixer PCB).

Poor man's version: print out the panel design, stick to a bit of cardboard and put some knobs on it. You'll get a good idea of the ergonomics that way.

one of this led matrix would make the live Sid even prettier

It's kinda hard to tell from the image - is that a regular 8x8 dot-matrix-display like this? If so - they're kinda tiny :D

EDIT - I just noticed that those are available in 6x6cm ;-) Might be interesting to look into, as it's the same size the matrix is atm. Thx sineSurfer.

Locking your design to a single LED matrix part has some disadvantages, and not many advantages... you're building a custom PCB and panel so discrete LEDs are just as easy to solder on if using the panel holes to align them during soldering, and give you much more options, like any colour, or even dual colour, any spacing between LED rows/columns, etc.. You can even flatten the top of a 3mm or 5mm round LED if that's important to you ;D

But you're building it for yourself, not for everyone to build a clone  ;)  so do what suits you, I'm just giving you an alternate point of view.

Locking your design to a single LED matrix part has some disadvantages, and not many advantages... you're building a custom PCB and panel so discrete LEDs are just as easy to solder on if using the panel holes to align them during soldering, and give you much more options, like any colour, or even dual colour, any spacing between LED rows/columns, etc.. You can even flatten the top of a 3mm or 5mm round LED if that's important to you ;D

But you're building it for yourself, not for everyone to build a clone  ;)  so do what suits you, I'm just giving you an alternate point of view.

I got hold of some cylindrical 3mm LEDS for my matrix, they look good when they are flush with the front panal.  ;D

G

Rapid online. I didn't mention it here as I thought it was quite a common thing (I quite liked the idea of mine being slightly different to everybody elses too). I got two colours, but unfortunately the amber ones look justthe same as the red when lit.... I'm going to desolder some and replace with some yellow ones when I get chance.

Here's the link

http://www.rapidonline.com/productinfo.aspx?tier1=Electronic+Components&tier2=Optoelectronics&tier3=3Mm+Leds&tier4=Cylindrical+3mm+LED&moduleno=29332

I shall be ordering some at the end of the week. If you want me to add some on to the order then we can sort something out.

G

Update ;)

* some layout/alignment improvements

* (re)added the Arpeggiator start/stop button

* switched Oscillator and Envelope sections

* removed second column of matrix buttons

* added matrix mode button

Comments, questions and ideas are still welcome  ;D

iwannahavethat71.png

I'm really loving this. Hi, I'm super new by the way. :)  I'm about to get started on a basic stereo midibox sid from pulled old c64 chips... once I get get more familiar with all the information on here. But I also have 8 chips from Wilba that I'd like to put towards something like this when I've gotten more experience. I'd definitely be down for a group buy if you are planning on one.

Welcome aboard ak!

a bigger photo please  ;D

LOL yeh.. what, don't you have a 36" monitor? I do like the big renders though, makes it a bit easier to picture in real life...

Comments, ...are still welcome

I still reckon a rack mod would be do-able, if the PCB were in two sections....

Rack mod or not, this is hot.

Uhm... seeing as you're going all-out... Have you considered digitally controlling the mixer and feedback? Would be a shame to have full automation of everything but that... You could do it on the cheap and easy with digipots, cause zipper noise (which is only theoretical and may not be that bad in practice anyway) is unlikely to be an issue when it's a static setting like that.

How about moving the shift button over near the modwheel so you can shift+spin with one hand?

Aesthetically speaking it looks great, but some of the grouping of controls seems a little strange to me. Like, the Left and right channel buttons being on the opposite side to the engine and oscillator selectors... or (reading left to right/top to bottom as we do) the filters being before the LFO and the mixer before the oscillators... or the volume and feedback being together (you'd normally set the feedback when you're configuring the oscillator, at the beginning of the signal chain... Think of feedback is an input instead of an output...but you'd set the output volume last) or octave and arp buttons being separated.... Do you know what I mean? It would take a bit of rearranging to get around these things though of course :-\