MIDIbox of the Week (MBSID V2 Keyboard Version made by Alkex)

TK.

Alkex did it again: after Octopus, he built another great keyboard version of MBSID V2. :)

He wrote:

Here is a photo of my beloved midibox_sid, built into an m-audio oxygen8 i found cheap on ebay.

I only have one busted sid (dead filter) module connected for the moment, but I plan to go stereo as soon as get hold of some more chips.

The core handles the midi from the oxgene 8 which happily shares the 12v su=pply :)

alkex5.jpg

Hi There,

Thanks for your feedback, Here is a little photo series of the making...

::::::::::::::::::::INSIDE:::::::::::::::::::::

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

The boards etc where all made from breadboards, very ugly and spaghetti like,

but the leds and buttons line up well and feel surprisingly robust. Lots of hot glue involved, again ;)

::::::::::::::::::: Outside, Bodywork :::::::::::::::::::::

1.jpg

Here is an Oxygene8 happily sitting there, not expecting to be mistreated in any way...

2.jpg

Same keyboard after a brutality session!

I used cardboard of make a basic "idea" frame, to the size of th panel. Glued with hot glue .

11.jpg

Now came the hard part, I had to smear the cardboard with car bodyu filler (called mastic here in france) ,

and sand the hell out of it (I spent about 3 hours untill my hands nearly dropped off).

i could have achieved a much nicer finish with a few extra hours sanding/filling/sanding/filling/sanding again

But hey, this is diy, and I kinda like the organic feel of it's imperfections  (thats my excuse for being lazy)::)

So here it is, on a glorious almost spring-like day:

7.jpg

8.jpg

The font panel was made 100% in schaeffer front panel designer

Based on Wilba's design (Massive respect to Wilba by the way!),I had to vectorize the waveform icons

so here they are if anybody wants them:

http://www.gtaband.la/alkex/sid/waveforms.zip

just extract and import as hpgl into frontpanel designer.

9.jpg

10.jpg

12.jpg

Noticed a second oxygen8 in the background?...

... A perfect contender for a midibox FM of coarse!

Thanks for looking,

Best regards to all fellow midiboxers!

Alkex

Here is an Oxygene8 happily sitting there, not expecting to be mistreated in any way...

;D ;D ;D

Thank you for posting more photos. I like the messy internals! :) This Is one of few ugly but same time very beautiful boxes that I`ve seen here!

Thanks for the photo shoot! I love seeing this stuff.

The font panel was made 100% in schaeffer front panel designer

Based on Wilba's design (Massive respect to Wilba by the way!),I had to vectorize the waveform icons

so here they are if anybody wants them:

BTW my latest panels were made by FPE so I also "vectorized" (or rather, "HPGL-ized" the waveform icons)... my latest FPD files are published, and I can supply HPGL files for just the waveforms if people want them. I've also worked out a good workflow to get designs in HPGL format, so anyone interested in this kind of thing can contact me for more info.

I personally don't see that as much of a comprimise. With the full control surface, it's relatively easy to reach over and turn up an LFO, or program a modulation delay into the patch. I rarely if ever use the pitch and mod wheels on any of my synths, but then none of those are an SH09 :(

• 1 month later...