Best Coding Font Ever

Wilba

I started coding on UNIX systems and always used the fixed6x13 font available on X11.

When I switched to working on Windows platforms, I cursed having to use Courier or worse, and have used various non-TTF versions of fixed6x13 until I found a great TTF version here: http://www.twoevils.org/html/files.html

MiscFixedSC613

MiscFixedBC613

Be sure to use it at 9 point and for pixel-perfect clarity, turn off ClearType.  ;D

best_coding_font_ever_thumb.png

2409_best_coding_font_ever_png506a207e50

I found my favorite one here: http://www.lowing.org/fonts/

Which one though?

I admit "best" is subjective... fixed6x13 is just my favourite, and I've coded with a lot of those other terminal fonts back in the good old days of vi (btw no, I do not have a big bushy beard) and discovered the obvious... small font means more lines per screen, more lines per screen means greater context, less scrolling, easier to edit large chunks, etc.

You need a larger monitor. Or glasses. Or both.  :P

Nope, eyes are good (cuz I'm using bigger fonts ;)) and the monitors are big enough as well ;)

Does anyone else here prefer coding on a black background?

Yes, absolutely - see attached screenshot.

code_thumb.png

2413_code_pnge7af2bdeb733e88b3836bc7ab0b

Which one though?

I admit "best" is subjective... fixed6x13 is just my favourite, and I've coded with a lot of those other terminal fonts back in the good old days of vi

Well it is mostly subjective but I do really like his criteria for a "good" font. His rankings were fairly much as I would have put them, with a few exceptions... He hasn't ranked GwdTE_437 or DPCustomMono2 which are both quite good.

(btw no, I do not have a big bushy beard)

What are you trying to say man? ;D

• 2 weeks later...