C64 Sequencer?

sparx

OK, now I've MIDIfied an old organ I am looking for a way to control it.

For some very strange reason I appear to have a few C64's (minus SIDs) around, I also have a MIDI interface.  After seeing some of the great mods some people have done on C64's, am thinking retro instrument deserves retro controller.

So, question is, can anyone recommend a C64 MIDI sequencer program?

If so, what interface is needed and what are the limitations, things like number of notes, channels etc?

Thanks and regards

Sparx

Thanks for the reply Bill

you mean, a software midi sequencer that run on the original C64 ?

Yes thats EXACTLY what I am after

i'm not sure there are midi output interface for the c64  ???

There sure are!  I have one in front of me, this guy sells a new multi standard one:

http://www.cbm8bit.com/fotios/fbmidi.php

and they come up on ebay often.  Think the C64 was one of the first to be used in music making, may have something to do with the SID.

Question still unanswered though, anyone able to recommend a suitable sequencer?

Thanks

Sparx

Oh yes, I googled it all first before posting here!

Got mainly results about Prophet 64 cart, which I have, but I am just after a MIDI sequencer to load files from disk and am more looking to see if anyone could suggest, from first hand experience, a suitable program. 

Someone here must have used one or did we all get C64s and rip out the SIDs?

Anyone?

Thanks for the replies so far though.

Regards

Sparx

Right you are, DrB. I figured Google would unearth it but maybe not. Google's algo is going downhill.

Yeh sparx I'm still getting around to plugging in my c64 or 128 :) I bought a stack of them and then got the chips from wilba afterwards...seems lame to leave it just sitting there collecting dust!

Edit: Now there's a thought: Email the guy who sells the midi interfaces and ask him what they work with :)

Some blog .... somewhere ... did a roundup

I'm almost certain it was CDM or C64 Music!.  For some reason CDM ain't loading for me today.

Here's some details and links to downloads for one MIDI capable sequencer:  EA's Instant Music

Looks like the Moog Song Producer is a nice package; here's a schematic, and the software's available in a link off this thread, as well as some nice pics of the user interface.

· 1 MIDI in

· 1 MIDI thru

· 4 MIDI outs

· 8 drum trigger outs

· 2 Footswitch ins

· 1 Clock/sync in

· 1 Clock/sync out

However:  (also from that thread)

I've heard not but bad things about the Moog song producer. Stuff about the software not even being complete, even that the manual suggest you finish coding the software yourself! / It just a very crappy MIDI sequencer /

Still, if you could find (or make :) ) other software that was compatible, it would pretty much rock.

moogsongproducer_thumb.jpg

2503_moogsongproducer_jpge1ba5714d24ec43

i'm not sure there are midi output interface for the c64 

I have one !!

I found it again last year.

I bought this in 1985 or so. I also had a midi-sequencer software for the C64.

It rocked! ... But I wouldn't use it for today concepts anymore...

greets

Doc

Dr Bunsen you are a great man - thank you so much for posting that. A friend has a faulty one, and now I can have ago at fixing it. Years ago, he couldn't get a diagram or details, but I threatened him with mayhem if  he got rid of it, (to anyone but me of course). He's a total C64 nut, (he quailed when I told him about ripping SIDs, but forgave me when I told him what for - especially when I did the dual SID thing for his Prophet 64).

Thanks again

Thanks everyone for your comments and help. 

Am still none the wiser though!  :(

Just installed a Catweasel card so will be making some C64 disks up and trying them with the suggested links.

Of course I will report back on my findings.

The Moog SP is available from one of links on DrBunsens posting, scroll down and its there.

Did think about mailing the bloke who makes the new interfaces but I probably won't be using his interface so it seemed a bit unfair.

There are links on his page, but these use some other kind of C64 DOS (I think)and its not a route I really want to go down.  Need to make it as easy as possible using the hardware I have.

More comments are welcomed though.

Thanks again.

Sparx

i know this has nothing to do with the C64 but i have sequencer software as well as a midi interface for my Atari 600XL.  you can buy it from Best-electronics.  it's called the Wizztronics Midimax.  it works really well.  i definitely would recommend it to anyone with an Atari 8 bit.  i just modded my XL with double POKEYs and a composite video/stereo sound output.  i LOVE that comuter.  i'm in the process of learning BASIC so that i can try and turn it into a synth (although, RMT works really well on it along with it's double POKEY compatability!) instead of a controler.  i have yet to find a good MIDI sequencing program for my C64 (aside from maybe MSSIAH) or my Apple //c.

Found the roundup I was thinking of: it only covers drum sequencers though, and not all of them have MIDI.  There's also a review of Dr T's Algorhythmic Composer on this page, and mention of a couple more here.  (Dr T's Keyboard Controlled Sequencer (KCS) and Master Composer).  Also the Kawasaki MIDI Work Station inc download link

From poking around it looks as if the Prophet64 would rock if only it could output MIDI.

I found this download site for non-game C64 software; under the Sound tab there are a good few apps to look at.  Here's some more.

Names I've seen crop up include Passport, Datel, SCI (Sequential Circuits) as well as the previously mentioned Moog.  These are names of companies that made MIDI interfaces - no idea what their respective softwares were called.

this guy sells a new multi standard one:

http://www.cbm8bit.com/fotios/fbmidi.php

/ anyone able to recommend a suitable sequencer?

Yes:  his software compatibility page lists some.

There's also an interface from C-Lab, which apparently works with Supertrack.

And some info on 6502 MIDI programming and some source code:  German bad-English German bad-English