Trivial desperate minimal MBSID first-timer questions

Flemming

To give you some background here, the reason you cannot supply a regulator the same voltage it outputs is that regulators need 1-2V above what they output in order to function. So if you supply a regulator 5V and it's supposed to output 5V, it will likely output 0V :)

The bridge rectifier also drops your voltage because it is just 4 diodes arranged in a clever way to cut out the oscillations of AC. So instead of having a +/- sine wave, you have a sign way at 0 and + which, with filtering capacitors and regulation, gives you DC. Diodes generally cause a voltage drop of something like .5-1.5V (I could be slightly off there - Wikipedia that if you want to know more :) so if you supply a diode with 5V, you might end up with 4.5V.

Anyways, glad to hear it's working! I second using a C64 case. Wilba's design in the Pac-10 is nothing short of awesome, but I'm wanting mine to have a more vintage character. At least, that's my plan for now. Another idea was using a translucent case or something cool like that. Point is, you have a ton of options!

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Feeling a lot braver after finally experiencing some success I hooked up another SID to the core - now i'm in stereo-land :) I had to shuffle through the presets once more to discover what i've missed out on... i'm baffled :) it sounds even better!!! My SID sound fetish sure gets satisfied this way.... and a bit more ;)

Congrats!

Yea, 2 SIDS's in stereo sure is pretty damn cool.. I even really dig the poly mode in stereo (6 voices) bouncing around..

Regards

Mike

Man, i really want to do that!!! ... but i have no control surface yet :(

Oooh ;) preset 16 in the 'vintage bank' is just fine i see..

I've been playing with my baby SID box for a few days without experiencing any problems. I'm more than happy and somehow ready to go on, so i connected my DINx4 (from Mike) to my core. Using a forcep i can now surf the menus of the synth :) it's pretty hard though, not knowing pin numbers and being totally unfamiliar with the menu layout in general. I try to refer to the sourcecode to guess the pins, but it's not the best way, i know :) But i think i recall seeing a MIOS application that showed the pin number in the display when activated?? i looked around but it's not in the MIOS download section... was i dreaming or did such an app actually exist ??

I had no luck with MIDIO128.. i got a lot of 'note on' and 'note off's with velocity pretty much fixed around 128, 64 and 0 :)

But i think i'm sorta sorted out, hehe.. playing with my forcep and experimenting with the 8580 sourcecode gave me a pretty good feel for the available possibilities. Right now i think i'll go for a simple minimal surface with SID L/R selector instead of core selector (it's only a 1core stereo box) and if i manage to hook up 2 respective LEDs to jp5 of the core i will be pretty satisfied with the result considering it's my first build :)