MB-6582 CS LEDs- Water Clear Or Tinted

toneburst

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Even I`ve always wanted to use white LEDs, now when I did it I can say using them isn`t best way to go. They looks great to me but they are in most cases blue LEDs with some kind of film to make it looks white. If you shoot it with camera it will disguise it and show they re actually blue. So, as blue LEDs are not pleasant to look at same goes to white LEDs.

I`ve always wondered why the hell people chose water clear package if LEDs wan`t be used for illumination.  ??? You can see it often in a kits like x0xb0x.

Never use water clear LEDs for any midibox project unless you are making MIDI driven light show!

Hmm.. that's a fairly clear 'NO' on the water-clear ultrabright blue LEDs then... lol

I bought them basically because they were cheap on eBay, and I didn't really know what I was doing ;)

Is there a consensus that any kind of blue LED is bad? I'd really like to use blue ones, because I have a blue display (white on blue, actually), a blue-lit fan, and even blue divider lines on the panel!

How about diffuse blue ones, in a blue-tinted casing? I can always put in stronger resistors to choke the brightness a little...

a|x

Man, it is how human eye reacts on blue light. It is already much said about it on MB forum and a lot of other places. Sure, diffused blue LEDs are bit lighter on your eyes, but it is still blue, isn`t it? It is proven that blue light lowers some sleep hormone in your body so sleap disorders can be expected.

Forget about blue if you want to use your gear comfortably. If you are making something commercially, and don`t care about your customers, it is highly advisable to have at least one blue LED. People are just crazy about blue light.  ??? You get a friendly advise. Decide yourself.  ;)

They looks great to me but they are in most cases blue LEDs with some kind of film to make it looks white. If you shoot it with camera it will disguise it and show they re actually blue.

That's probably because the white light has a large UV component, that is invisible to the human eye. The CCDs used in digital cameras are very sensitive to UV though. They have filters to try and reduce this sensitivity, but point light sources that emit lots of UV can still look strange when photographed.

a|x

That is true. But regardless, white light emitted from LED is not same as white light emitted from neon tubes, not for the eyes and not for the camera.

Bit offtopic... I find camera very useful for testing if IR LED is working. It helped me few times to troubleshoot those IR LEDs. :)

Bit offtopic... I find camera very useful for testing if IR LED is working. It helped me few times to troubleshoot those IR LEDs. :)

I've noticed that IR transmitters show up on digital cameras, too :)

Despite your friendly warnings, I think I'm going to go for blue ones, anyway. I'm thinking these ones

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=380067695990&ssPageName=MERC_VI_RSCC_Pr4_PcY_BIN_Stores_IT&refitem=200258902512&itemcount=4&refwidgetloc=active_view_item&usedrule1=StoreCatToStoreCat&refwidgettype=cross_promot_widget&_trksid=p284.m184&_trkparms=algo%3DDR%26its%3DS%252BI%252BSS%26itu%3DISS%252BUCI%252BSI%26otn%3D4

Or even better these

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260351822695&_trksid=p2759.l1259

if the 3mm blue ones actually do come in a blue casing.

I'm honestly probably not going to spend too much time staring at the panel, anyway. I anticipate using the MIDI editor for most sound-editing/creation duties, and just using the panel for the occasional realtime tweak.

a|x

I'm actually wondering if these ones

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=380067695990&ssPageName=MERC_VI_RSCC_Pr4_PcY_BIN_Stores_IT&refitem=200258902512&itemcount=4&refwidgetloc=active_view_item&usedrule1=StoreCatToStoreCat&refwidgettype=cross_promot_widget&_trksid=p284.m184&_trkparms=algo%3DDR%26its%3DS%252BI%252BSS%26itu%3DISS%252BUCI%252BSI%26otn%3D4

could actually be painted blue. If they don't get too hot, maybe they could actually be tinted with some blue transparent ink. I like the idea of them being visibly coloured when not lit, as well as when they're on...

a|x

I've noticed that IR transmitters show up on digital cameras, too :)

Depends on the sensor type. A lot of recent cameras don't pick up IR light.

Despite your friendly warnings, I think I'm going to go for blue ones, anyway. I'm thinking these ones

Ultra-bright blue - stupid stupid stupid.

Not only are you seriously hurting your eyes, you won't be seeing much when more than a couple of the LEDs are on. If you're seriously going through with those LEDs do yourself a favor and at least use huge resistors for them in the 10kish range.

Yeah.

If you're really going to do blue, you might want to get samples of a few and set up some tests before you buy quantity.

If you have a local electronics store they may be able to help you too.  I know those are few and far between these days, though. :(

I was going to try and help you find a non-bright blue LED, but they're damn near impossible to find.  The only thing I can find when searching for dim blue LEDs are people complaining that their super-duper-ultra-bright blue LED is too dim.

If you're really going to do blue, you might want to get samples of a few and set up some tests before you buy quantity.

That's a good idea, actually.

If you have a local electronics store they may be able to help you too.  I know those are few and far between these days, though. :(

I know what you mean. I live in London, and you'd think somewhere in this great metropolis, there'd be an electronics-supply shop... sadly not. All there is really is Maplins, who aren't that great anyway, and most of their smaller branches don't stock much in the way of basic electronic components. It's been mail-order all the way for me on this project. I've ended-up getting a lot of stuff from eBay suppliers.

I was going to try and help you find a non-bright blue LED, but they're damn near impossible to find.  The only thing I can find when searching for dim blue LEDs are people complaining that their super-duper-ultra-bright blue LED is too dim.

Yeah- lots of places selling Ultrabright ones, and cheap, too, but the only non-ultrabright ones I've been able to find have been either out-of-stock, or £1+ EACH (which is ridiculous, considering I need 112 of the little buggers).

Very annoying. And I only decided to go for a blue theme because of the difficulty of getting hold of red 20x4 character displays, without paying a fortune in transatlantic P&P.

a|x