New here

Gregor

Been looking at the midibox sid for a bit now, and I've been lurking on and off. I love the sound for sure, but I can't seem to locate the info with an approximate complete cost for this project. I looked around a bit and seem to have confused myself with exactly what would need to be ordered. Can someone help?

That depends on what you need and which box exactly you want to build.

(modular MB-SID with Step A,B,C CS vs MB6582 vs fnpsid vs ...)

So, if you could detail which box to build, one could surely help you in a way.

e.g., my MB6582 cost me all in all around 400€, including C64s, Wilba SIDs,

parts, case and whatnot.

Approximate costs are all well and good, but you'll find you run into issues similar to:

I wanted a red LCD, so I ended up paying $75USD for one.  You could buy a blue one for as little as $10USD.

Front panels can cost as little as $25USD if you've got a friend who can do it all the way up to a couple hundred, depending on where you have them made.

These sorts of things skews the cost quite a bit.

Yeah, it takes a lot of work to figure it all out -- but all of us have done it, and it's different each time.  Sorry there's not a concrete answer for you, but that's just the nature of the beast.  Just wait until you start trying to source parts....

I´m building one single sid with step A CS and it will cost me around 125-200 euro (have no final price since I haven´t decided on a panel yet). I have also gathered parts to build a MB6582 and it will cost around 450-500 euro with all shipping, custom fees and such. I have cheap lcd´s and such but shipping and every little part you need if you don´t have anything at home adds up real quick! It´s well worth it though :) (I hope I will get a sound out of them also...)

6582 is exactly what I'm looking at I believe. I don't really see anywhere where there is a listing describing the particular projects in numbers save the wiki? This has the lead, bass and drum engines in it, yes?

I know cost won't be exact, but I can't get into a project that's going to run me $1500.00 or something, nor do I want to get into a project where I have no idea what the cost will be in any way. Just looking for an average cost for an average box without mods or specialty items, then I can kind of pick at it from there.

Thanks for the help!

Have you been to Smashtv's website?

http://www.avishowtech.com/mbhp/buy.html

You will still need to get SIDs, best bet look in the group buy section for Wilba's SID sale. If you are just interested in the sound and you have a computer that can send MIDI you can be in biz for less than $100 You can make the case for free if your crafty but for the full blown MB6582 you will spend $500+

Your best bet would be to read much more. After you can answer the question of what modules you will need you will have a better idea of what your going to spend. Also as other have said a million times your case and control surface are going to eat up the most of your money. If you you want it to be pretty its going to cost lots.

6582 is exactly what I'm looking at I believe. I don't really see anywhere where there is a listing describing the particular projects in numbers save the wiki? This has the lead, bass and drum engines in it, yes?

every MBSID "has the lead, bass and drum engines in it" because that's purely a software thing.

I know cost won't be exact, but I can't get into a project that's going to run me $1500.00 or something, nor do I want to get into a project where I have no idea what the cost will be in any way. Just looking for an average cost for an average box without mods or specialty items, then I can kind of pick at it from there.

I guess nobody ever spent $1500 on a MBSID (as long as it's not covered in massive gold). The mb6582 is already kind of the Mercedes version and Lucem just told you he's spent 400 euros on it. There's no such thing as "the average box" because any size or version is suitable for some uses or people. If you wanna have it cheap and quick, you can build only one core, one sid module, a small second hand LCD and a few knobs and buttons inside of an old wood box from your basement and it'll cost maybe 50 bucks and be capable of very nice sounds. Let's say the "average" price range is between 50 and 600 USD.

You'll need to read a lot more on the forum/wiki/ucapps in order to find out what you really want and need. Before you know that, it doesn't make much sense to further speculate about an imaginary price of an undefined box.

S