Do I really want SIDS?

latigid on

Isn't it funny how obsoletism brings about desire? (I'm talking about Wilba's final offer for 6582 chips.)

I already own more synths (Voyager, SH-101, MS20, Prophet '08, Andromeda etc.) than I play regularly, so I am wondering what the SID project offers above these commercial units.

Of course, one gets the "joy" of a DIY project, but is it a unique addition to the sound pallet? Most of the demos I have seen are of the "squelchy 303" sound (obviously optimised in the design). To be honest, I can get something very similar with the 101 and a Sherman Filterbank.

Just interested in others' opinions of the SID in the context of analog(ue) synthesis.

Regards,

Andy

I'd kinda agree with you about the average sound demo's.. I suppose some newer ones should be in order.. (I'll get around to it)

They don't really show off the true characteristics of the SID chip INHO.

The whole 303 thing is about 1/20th of what it can do, and I used it once to check it out, then never again.. I use mine mainly as a chunky stereo polysynth.

I own a metric shitload of gear, and I think the SID is a great addition to my studio.. it's rather brash and agressive, but can be all warm, distorted and muted too.. it's got this "Hey! look at me" sort of sonic quality about it.

Personally, the less people out there with one is better for me... so, no, don't build one. ;]

Regards

Mike

Seeing the list of gear you showed

If you don't want the "buzz" that you get of having built it yourself you sure as shit aren't gonna miss not having a SID based synth

I've only spent a few hours on an Andromeda and i tell you what i'll let you have various SID synths and a box full of SID chips including 6581s 8580s and f*ck load of 6582s in a straight swap if you like hehehehehe

Flexi

If you have to ask - prolly not.

Hmmm, I'm asking because I want to make a decision.

But I think I understand what you're saying. You wouldn't embark on a journey of SID unless you had:

Found out what what an SID was

Listened to some samples

Analysed the parts list/cost

Considered the construction details

etc.

I guess I lean more on the side of playing instruments than building them, to be honest. I'm just trying to decide on whether it would be right for me and whether it would fit with/add to what I have already. I also realise this is more of a DIY forum/community.

I'm certainly not bagging the 303-ness; the super resonant/fedback/distorted basslines sound great. I was only asking if it could do more, and how effective it was at this (already answered in part).

Any experiences you'd like to share would be appreciated.

Andy

P.S. Sorry, Andromeda not for swap!  ;)

I guess I lean more on the side of playing instruments than building them, to be honest.

Same here.

Any experiences you'd like to share would be appreciated.

You won't know what an mbSID can do until you have one. None, and I do mean none of the sound samples around illustrate the true capabilities of what you can do with an mbSID once you get into it.

I was quite impressed with

:)

I might just buy a couple of 82s and hook 'em up to try when I have a bit more time (MB-SEQ first!). It does look like a complex beast, especially when you consider the pretty extensive modulation section! Thanks Team/TK

Edit, the SID Design Page has some great samples also, couldn't get some of them to load?

Have you not heard rutger's 8 x sid + 8 x moog filters, demo?

http://www.midibox.org/forum/index.php/topic,12835.0.html

Thats probably the best demo to date, that shows off what can be done.

Its in a blasphemy bitrate, for a demo that exotic though, but still as demo none the less!  ;)

The sounds in that demo threw my previous interpretation of the "sid sound" right out the window!

Even back when the C64 was current, I always thought a MIDI-controlled SID synth would be cool.  I always wanted something like that, and I drooled over the SIDstation, and planned on building a MIDIbox SID "one of these days..."

Last year I finally built an MB-6582.  It exceeded my expectations in every way.  You can get wonderful sounds from a pair of 6582's.  Recognizing the original application of the SID, it is quirky compared to "professional" synths.  It is these quirks that make it sound different.  When I get a sound in my head and start programming the MB-6582, I usually find 5 great new sounds along the way.

I'm still no expert on programming the thing, which is why I haven't shared anything yet.  The MB-SID firmware is remarkably deep and mature.  Honestly, it's a hell of a lot more than I bargained for.

I think the real power of the MB-SID is in PWM and Oscillator Sync.  Like many synths, it can shimmer, and it can scream.  Like few synths, it can do both at the same time.  

The white noise generator has a unique, grainy video-game quality to it which makes for interesting sound effects.  Interestingly, it can be played chromatically even when bypassing the filter.

MB-SID's firmware control over AOUT is ingenious.  Along with an AOUT/AOUT_NG board, it can control a VCF such as Seppo's awesome little SSM2044 board - a sweet, aggressive-sounding filter, quite similar to a Polysix.  But you can pump any synth through the filter, and MB-SID will give you ADSR/LFO control over the filter, plus proper keyboard tracking.

While it wouldn't be my first pick as the only synth in my setup, I'm starting to use my MB-6582 more and more.  I would recommend it to anybody with a little electronic experience, some time, and a few hundred bucks.  If you value your time more than tweakability, I would recommend the MB-6582 over the "individual modules" approach.