MIDIbox SID V1.5

TK.

Hi,

Chris: you possibly have to press the "reload" button of your webbrowser to see the updated download page (I guess that you are using the M$ Internet Explorer...)

Jeroddumas: sure, this version includes the SIDSW kernel which behaves 1:1 like the PIC16F firmware plus Step A, Step B and Step C of the control surface.

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Ian: it's better to add a pot behind the audio output, because the volume DAC is limited to 4 bit

Btw.: in the meantime an error in the initialization routine of the PIC18F based firmware has been reported - the SID clock output runs with 2 MHz instead of 1 MHz, therefore all notes are transposed by one octave & sometimes the patches don't sound like intended ;-)

Note: this bug only affects MIDIbox SIDs which are stuffed with a PIC18F and which are not stuffed with a dedicated 1 MHz oscillator for the SID.

in sid_init.inc please change:

;; Initialize Clock Generator (the PWM unit is used for that)
        movlw   0x04
        movwf   PR2
        movlw   0x24
        movwf   T2CON
        movlw   0x0f
        movwf   CCP1CON
        movlw   0x02
        movwf   CCPR1L
to:
        ;; Initialize Clock Generator (the PWM unit is used to generate a 1MHz clock with 1:1 duty cycle)
        movlw   0x09
        movwf   PR2
        movlw   0x24
        movwf   T2CON
        movlw   0x0f
        movwf   CCP1CON
        movlw   0x04
        movwf   CCPR1L

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Hey TK it seems that my SID1.5 already has that change made

it looks like this:

;; Initialize Clock Generator (the PWM unit is used for that)

movlw   0x09

movwf   PR2

movlw   0x24

movwf   T2CON

movlw   0x0f

movwf   CCP1CON

movlw    0x04

movwf   CCPR1L

is this right for the 18F?

LO

Hi,

LO: you see the new settings since I've updated the v1.5 archive with the new source

Btw.: in the next days I will release v1.5b which comes with an important bugfix in the sound engine (saturation doesn't work properly when more than 2 LFOs/envelopes are assigned to a target), and some minor bugfixes and improvements for the control unit.

In the meantime I also changed the encoder configuration of my own MIDIbox. Now the encoders are running in "DETENTED2" mode (one increment every 4 edges) and not with the quadrubled resolution anymore although I'm using non-detented encoders.

The speed mode is configured to "FAST", factor 3

In this way I'm able to modify the values very precisely when the encoder is moved slowly. And due to the high acceleration settings, I'm still able to sweep from 0 to the max value with a single, fast turn.

Best Regards, Thorsten.

V1.5b has been released

PIC16F877 version:

http://www.ucapps.de/midibox_sid/midibox_sid_v1_5b.zip

Correct saturation when more than 2 modulation sources are assigned to Pitch/PWM

PIC18F452 version:

http://www.ucapps.de/mios/midibox_sid_v1_5b_18f_stepC.zip

Same bugfix like above plus minor bugfixes for the control surface (e.g. WT editor displayed relative values in the wrong format).

Minor Improvements:

by default the OSC button now switches between the 3 oscillators and doesn't switch between combined modes anymore (e.g. OSC 123) for a faster handling. If parameter changes should take place for more than one oscillator, just select the appr. combination in the menu.

This button behaviour can be alternated to the old solution in main.asm (set CS_MENU_OSC_BUTTON_BEHAVIOUR to 0)

Rotary Encoders: CS_MENU_ENC_SPEED_VALUE allows to define the speed setting for encoder #2-#15. Although I'm using non-detented encoders, I prefer following setup: encoders in MIOS_ENC_MODE_DETENTED2 mode (reduces the resolution), CS_MENU_ENC_SPEED_VALUE set to 3 (by moving the encoder faster, you can sweep over the whole value range)

The best setup depends on the used encoder, just try different settings.

I've tested the firmware by creating a new demo song - maybe the best I ever made with the MIDIbox SID :D The result will be downloadable in the next days so soon as the storage server problem has been fixed.

Best Regards, Thorsten.

T...

Just tied the new b version. Without any editing and just syx'ing the rlsd file, my encoders are not working as they did as with the default syx file from the rls proir. Now the nonswitched type only change values when u turn the pot to the right, and the switched type only work when turned to the left :/ Is this a result of the new code or could i just swap the connections on the encoders - seems weird they work fine with normal 1.5 tho :???

best...

Dan

* Just changed the mode of the encoders back to normal DETENTED and they are behaving again :)

Oh yeah, this other prob I have is that after power-up, a few mins later the SID sparks out and jumps from param to param and flicks values all over the place :/ the lcd goes crazy trying to keep up with it all...

Could this be a power issue?