big (soft) square buttons

jaapdeaap

Hi Guys,

I'm just new on this forum. But I have a plan to build a midi controller for Resolume (VJ app.). I found everything I need except for the buttons. I want large square shaped buttons like the ones on the picture except i need a 4x5 setup and not a 4x4. I can't find a manufacturer or supplier.

akai-mpd18_350_ffffff_75.jpg 

Finding good buttons seems to be the PITA part for many people around here..

You could try and fudge it with something like these

http://cgi.ebay.com/Akai-MPC-Black-Pads-for-MPC-60-MPC-2000-MPC-3000-4000_W0QQitemZ400049383698QQcmdZViewItemQQptZKeyboards_MIDI?hash=item5d24cd2912&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A12%7C66%3A2%7C39%3A1%7C72%3A1205%7C240%3A1318%7C301%3A0%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50

But these are just the rubber pads (And only 4x4 but you could get busy with 2 of them and a knife)

You would still need to install switches underneath.. and get a panel laser cut to fit the pads nicely = A LOT OF WORK AND $$$$$

If you are prepared to go for smaller switches (Say 18x18mm) that are not rubber, then your options open up drastically.

Kind regards

Mike

5208_6e30_1_jpg8c0b9319aeb402d70377c140c

5208_6e30_1_jpg8c0b9319aeb402d70377c140c

Thanks for the reply. These are indeed the buttons I am searching for, the lasercutting of a frontpanel is no problem. (we have got a laser cutting machine at work, so I think that will be done for a case of beer). But fitting a button under there will be. And I need a 4x5 and this is a 4x4. And I will probly need a view of the same buttons as a single button. (sorry for my english). Doesn't anyone no a company that makes these kind of buttons as a single button?

Can you give me a view examples of the smaller (non soft) buttons?

i found a place from one of the links on the forum , its an mpc repairers and they have got hte pads and the contact sheet that goes behind it, i have ordered a set for myself, as i intend to build a replica control of the motu bpm software, i want it to look exactly like the unit in the software i also have to find some small non motorised faders similar to the ones in the nano kontrols from korg to use in there, if i cant find any i will just buy a nano kontrol and rip it to bits, yep im mad but then all geniuses are start raving mad, ask tk... hes certifiable!!! lol!

i will put up some pics when i get mine through from the states.

this is what i want to build, obviously minus the lcd screen however i could fit another small midimon in there with some small 7 sement leds and have a mini mtc display also. hmmm, thats a plan then!

bpm1.jpg

And I need a 4x5 and this is a 4x4. ..............  Can you give me a view examples of the smaller (non soft) buttons?

Like I said, you could buy two of these, and cut them in half.. one as 2x4, and the other a 3x4.. add them together = 5 x 4

As for examples of other buttons.. the forum "search" would help.. Google is good as well.

Good luck.

Regards

Mike

Thanks for all the replies. I know I can buy two of them, but it is not a very "clean" solution. I still need to build something under the buttons. I preffer a button that I can use "out of the box". But there was some talking about hard, smaller (18x18) buttons. Do you have a link to a shop that sells these buttons?

i as i intend to build a replica control of the motu bpm software, i want it to look exactly like the unit in the software

Nice! You might have a problem having the faders that small though.

Although actually now that i remember, i always expected the mpc pads to be much smaller than they actually are in real life, and keep forgetting.

And i guess you could always use knobs for the envelopes instead.

yep im mad but then all geniuses are start raving mad, ask tk... hes certifiable!!! lol!

Id love to see TK's crazy side actually!

Hes just so such a clinical, professional engineering machine on here that you dont get to see the crazy side!

• 2 weeks later...

I would try sparkfun's one, there are rather big (1,2cmx1,2cm);and can make visual feedback with LED

http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/product_info.php?products_id=7835

USB version is ready to go to a computer but you nedd to write the prog

you can cut unneccesary buttons from the PCB (4x6 is easier to  make)