Putting a different transformer inside a Space Echo RE-101

unrise_lyrical

So my dream came true today. I managed to pick up a real Roland Space Echo on ebay! for cheap too. (I assume) the reason I got it cheaper than others is that it is coming from Japan, and runs on 100v (im in the land of oz...240v). I figured I would just buy a step-down transformer, but then I thought...why not replace the transformer inside it? Would probably cost just as much a decent step-down transformer...and then I dont have to lug two things around (plus I could get an Australian power plug for it then too). I tracked down its service manual and this is what it has to say about the current power setup:

Supply Voltage: 100/117/220/230/240V, 50/60Hz

Power Consumption: 15W

Pretty certain the one I have won is 100v (its like...made in 1974 or thereabouts...so it certainly wont have one of those power transformers that is universal :P) Looking at the block diagram in the service manual...from the power suply there are components that need 17V, 12V, 11V and 15V. Surely you could just have a transformer that steps the power down from 240V to whatever the current transformer changes it to, then have whatever circuitry changing that to the 17,12,11 and 15? Here is a link to the manual I am referring to (i believe the block diagram is on page 4, although its all kinda french to me) http://www.scribd.com/doc/2474420/Roland-RE201101-Space-Echo-Service-Manual

As I have said in numerous other posts on here, I am not good with electronics (just starting out) but I would much rather do it this way than carrying around a stepdown transformer as well. I am not expecting to do it myself, as I don't want to risk damaging the unit, but how much would I be looking at for a replacement transformer, and a power lead? I have a family friend who is an electrical engineer, im sure he can swap over the transformer (as long as its doable!)

any advice greatly appreciated!

Not stupid at all! I thought of that, but these are fairly rare (not super rare...but not common) And the chances of me finding one that someone is willing to part out is much less than just figuring out a new part to replace it with :) Unless someone on here knows of some secret place where you can pick up space echo parts without selling your balls? :P

I havent, but from previous discussions with people who have old Roland gear I know it will be pretty much pointless. When something is no longer made by them, they show little interest in even responding to emails...so something that is 35 years old isn't even going to be a blip on their radar id imagine.

OK, looks like a sweet bit of classic gear.

I looked over the service manual you provided. The transformer has a "tap" (alternate connection) to select between 100 Volts and 117 volts, making THAT change would be as easy as moving a wire. But if you want higher voltages, you would need to replace the transformer and four fuses. The 220/240 volt transformer is listed as part 022-067AD. As you mentioned before, finding one of these will probably be close to impossible.

If you want to find your own replacement transformer, I can see that it needs three separate secondary windings. the prints do NOT tell what the voltage and current of each secondary are, so you'll have to fire it up and take measurements from the one you have now.

The chances of finding a transformer "off the shelf" that will match all three secondaries is pretty bad. You will most likely be looking at a custom transformer. I don't know how much that will cost, but I'm betting it's a deal breaker.

Changing out the entire power supply is a non-starter as well. It looks like there's a lot of "other stuff" wrapped into the power supply circuit. The "Echo Cancel Footswitch", "Repeat Rate", "VU MEter" and more are part of the power supply circuit.

It's looking like an extra transformer is your first choice, and buying another one that is already 220 is your other choice.

Have Fun,

LyleHaze

wow, thanks for the big reply LyleHaze! That sucks that it isnt that easy though, heh, I just built a strobe light with a transformer in that from 240 to 12, and 5 i think...guess I just figured it would be as simple as that :P I have met a guy online that is dismantling a SRE-555...but I HIGHLY doubt the transformer in that is compatible....the 555 has a spring reverb...chorus too i think. His business is refurbishing and making tapes for space echoes though...so hopefully he will know. Otherwise I guess its a step-down transformer! does anyone know if they create any noise or hum?

It depends on how much current your tape echo pulls, but many "Jaycar" step downs are acutally not that big.. / expensive.

Noise etc.. prob not.. maybe..  Just try it out..

I've got a SRE-555.. they rock... heavy f#@ker tho! It once fell on my foot, and broke a toe.

Regards

Mike