Another finished MB-6582

vcfool

Hi everyone, this my first post in here...

I just finished my MB-6582 some months ago. I was waiting for the "Waldorf-type" knobs from the last bulk order to post some pictures, but while still waiting, I received the knobs for the SEQ CS this week, I tried them on the MB-6582 and got some pictures.

IMG_2056.JPG IMG_2057.JPG

As you can see I went for an acrylic panel and didn't use JB-Weld, whatever that is. Just used the corner holes on the case and some of the PCB spacers to hold the panel. Then all the encoders are also screwed to the panel. Fits nice, and doesn't look that bad for me with these knobs. I've never seen a real "Walfdorf" knob so I don't know how it will look with them.

IMG_2060.JPG

The LCD is from Optrex. It's supposed to be B/W. It's definitely not pure white, but in the pictures it looks bluer than it actually is.

IMG_2069.JPG

I know... I swear this is the first blue LED I have ever used!!! but I couldn't resist. :)

I still have to finish the wiring of the external inputs. And maybe some trigger outputs and analog inputs to the 25-pin Expansion Port, but changing anything on the application's code is much beyond my skills right now, I still have to read some more about how to do it.

Thanks to everyone in here, specially to TK, Wilba and Smash TV for making this possible for a guy like me. I never thought I could build something as amazing as this!

AHA!  I knew it was only a matter of time before somebody made one with a clear panel!

That's awesome!

... and I think it looks very nice with the P401 knobs.  If I were you I think I might just use those instead.  The Waldorf knobs are nice, but they are very big, and might take away from the elegance of your panel.  Also, if your panel is thicker, the Waldorf knobs might actually not be an option for you unless you use smaller spacers.  This is because the Waldorf knobs, when pressed fully on the shaft, actually extend about 1mm closer to the panel than the P401's do.

There's a picture which sort of demonstrates it in this post:

http://www.midibox.org/forum/index.php/topic,10125.msg77965.html#msg77965

(... and read onward in the thread for actual measurements)

Thank you both!

I missed that knob thread, this forum is huge!

I also thought about leaving the P401 on, I really like the way they look and feel, but I need them for the SEQ CS! I will decide when I receive the Waldorf ones and then someone may get a message about 15 extra P401s :)

What's the base diameter of the Waldorf? I was wondering if it was big enough and had a free-space inside to hide the encoder nut, just as some knobs do. For your comments and pictures I guess it doesn't.

BTW, the panel is 2mm and I used 10mm spacers.

Very nice! What I don't get is why you have cut out the opening for the display?

Well, yes, you are right, I could have avoided that hole. I knew for sure the day I got and tried the panel. But before, I had some doubts so I decided to have the window cut, just in case.

Very nice - I like the idea of the clear transparent panel. Where did you have the panel created? Also, what is the part number for the Optrex display. I like it!

I might consider this for my MB6582 build...with a twist. I'm thinking that very lightly smoked transparent panel would be nice - with the LCD display area not cut-out and non-smoked (rectangle with rounded corners). If I go this route, I may trade you my red Waldorf knobs for your P401's. They look great with the transparent panel! Let me know what you think.

Thanks!

Very nice - I like the idea of the clear transparent panel. Where did you have the panel created? Also, what is the part number for the Optrex display. I like it!

I got the panel made by someone I know, who makes scale-models for architecture projects and so.

The LCD is Optrex C-51847NFQJ-LW-AAN

http://www.optrex.com/products/partdetail.asp?PartNumber=C-51847NFQJ-LW-AAN

Mouser Part: 805-51847NFQJLWAAN

I might consider this for my MB6582 build...with a twist. I'm thinking that very lightly smoked transparent panel would be nice - with the LCD display area not cut-out and non-smoked (rectangle with rounded corners). If I go this route, I may trade you my red Waldorf knobs for your P401's. They look great with the transparent panel! Let me know what you think.

I thought about painting it or using a vinyl overlay on the underside, but for the moment I think I do like it transparent.

Thanks for the knob trade offer, but I am already waiting for some Waldorf ones that I ordered on the last bulk order here in the forum. And I need those P401 for the MB SEQ.

:)

Thats really cool, voltage controlled fool!

And a very cost effective panel solution too.

The clear panels for the x0xb0x are only $20 including the I/O panel,

so i guess it would be pretty cheap for mb6582 too.

Might even be worth finding out where Ardafruit get the panels made.  ;)

Very cool... I look forward to seeing what you do with the MB-SEQ!

People wanting to copy this could consider getting clear acrylic panels laser cut from Ponoko.

I'm a "Ponoko Prime" member and I get cheap shipping to me, especially if combined with other orders, so it would be quite easy to stick four panel sets on a "P2" size 2mm sheet.

I've also worked out a way to get the font done as a vector engraving, instead of messy raster... which is ideal if you want to fill it with paint.

I'm guessing the sheet with four panel sets would probably be at most US$50. The last P2 sheet I did had an obscene amount of holes and raster engraving and only came to US$55, and that was including US$15 for the dark grey tint sheet, the transparent sheet is only US$6.48! Of course, you'll have to wait around while I draw it up in Inkscape... in the meantime, think about where you want the mount holes :)

vcfool didn't use JB-Weld... and I don't know whether JB-Weld would work on acrylic anyway. You can get black plastic threaded spacers and try gluing them to acrylic. I might try this one day.

I'm saying... if you want a panel like this, look at where vcfool used screws on the frontpanel and decide if that's where you would like holes or not.

Maybe even check whether he's using the same switches and spacers... because the switch shafts look like they stick out more than they would using 13mm tactiles/10mm spacers/2mm panel.

I'm saying... if you want a panel like this, look at where vcfool used screws on the frontpanel and decide if that's where you would like holes or not.

I didn't care too much about this when ordering the panel. I just had the 4 corner holes done.

Anyone can easily hand-drill the extra holes on the preferred spots.

Maybe even check whether he's using the same switches and spacers... because the switch shafts look like they stick out more than they would using 13mm tactiles/10mm spacers/2mm panel.

I used the parts as recommended on the wiki page:

-13mm switches form Mouser (688-SKHHDT).

-Alpha encoders also from Mouser (318-ENC160F-24P). These look the same as the (SoundWell?) ones you sent me for the MB SEQ. The shaft is exactly the same length.

The panel is 2mm and the spacers are 10mm.

I think maybe red knobs would go nicer with the acrylic panel, since you can see the red the PCB,

but then again, if i actually saw them i might not think so!

The whites will be cool when you get the metal panel,

im thinking of doing half red half white myself. (red for the lfo/filter)