WTF I can’t transfer music from my iPod to new computer?

bhc303

This just doesn't make sense! I own the iPod, music on it and the computer???

I have spent so long trying to sort this out in the wonderful world of Google but no luck!

Any freeware that you know of? NOT FREE DOWNLOAD THEN HAVE TO PAY TO DO THE JOB!

Or any steps that work, OS is vista...

Basically my girl has her tunes on iTunes in our communal old dunga computer, I bought her a new lap top (pc) today and I can’t get tunes from old communal computer to her new lap top, thought I could dump from pod to pc???

please help this is doing my head in  :evil:

Cheers

Welcome to the wonderful world of Apple!!! >:( My girlfriend also has an IPod Touch and as far as I know there's NO WAY to transfer music from an IPod that has been synced to another computer before. I really think these machines are cool toys and have a very nice user interface, but because of exactly this issue, I won't ever buy an IPod. I want to have access to my music like it was on a removable drive, and Apple just won't do that because they want to be in control of things...

You can, however, copy mp3s that were not bought on iTunes store from the other PC to an USB stick/other drive, and I think if you setup the iPod to be synced from the new computer on the same iTunes account, you can re-download everything she has bought so far. But it's definitely not possible to just plug in an iPod to some new PC and sync it - it will always ask if you wanna format the memory or cancel the operation.

S

Heya *!

Wow if you guys are going to throw the hate, please make sure you aim it in the right direction.....

I own the iPod, music on it and the computer???
No you own the iPod and the computer, but according to the various recording industry associations, you are only renting the music.....and they would prefer that you buy re-rent it for every new format it's released on, and also buy rent a copy for every device you might possibly play it on.

The rules about how/what you can copy from one device to another are set by these media cartels, not Apple, not Microsoft.  We are talking about groups of lawyered-up profiteers armed with a majority of the money you have ever spent on music, whipping a dead business model for all they can get out of it.  You will find the same if not much worse DRM issues with any media device that has been blessed by the rights holders. 

Ever tried to "squirt" (their word not mine!) a hit song from Sony or Universal on a Zune back when they still had that feature?

Where I live they have bought so much legislation that my tax dollars are being used to prosecute file sharers in criminal court, while just about every other industry has to handle copyright infringement problems in civil court and on their own dime (as it should be).

It's easy to bash y if you are a x owner and vice-versa, but there are other forums on the net dedicated to that.  :)

if software company's can cash in on on this why cant we have this as a part of the package?
Considering how many free options there are on the mac side to do this, I have to wonder if there are also free tools for Vista that simply have worse search engine rank than the crippleware anklebiters.

The last time I had a look at the process, for itunes store bought tracks (or anything DRM locked to your itunes account) you simply chose "Authorize Computer" from the itunes menu and every track bought from that account can be pulled for free to the new machine.

Then for the DRM free and non-store tracks (or tracks you want to convert to DRM free) give Songbird a try.  It's free (mozilla project) and cross platform.  It is dressed like a media player/file manager, but it also has two way itunes library import and export.  Run it on the old machine, import itunes library into songbird, transfer the songbird library to the new laptop, and export it to the new machine's itunes library (if you are staying with itunes).  No need to fight with an ipod when all you need is a lan connection or usb key/sneaker net.  :)

Another thing to consider to avoid future DRM mess is alternative firmware for your player.....Rockbox and some other free firmware packages put the controls back in your hands.

Back to the kit mill with me!

Best regards

SmashTV

thanks smash and others,

Wow if you guys are going to throw the hate, please make sure you aim it in the right direction.....

I never intended to direct any negativity to any one, please I hope you can see I was just venting, this is the last place I would want to stand on any ones toes as this community is truly amazing and I am very proud to be a part of it! and thanks to all that make this place possible!

I will check out the suggestions tonight mate and thanks so much for your time!

will let you all know how I go, cheers

I never intended to direct any negativity to any one, please I hope you can see I was just venting, this is the last place I would want to stand on any ones toes as this community is truly amazing and I am very proud to be a part of it! and thanks to all that make this place possible!
Absolutely....I should have chosen my words a bit more carefully.  It's crazy that this does not just work like expected.  Please don't see my remarks as bitey towards you at all.

I definitely didnt want to imply that you should 'take it outside' etc. with the bash x/y statement, was just trying to head off the usual holy war when I used the words mac and vista together in the next sentence.  ;)

It seems DRM only causes problems for legal media users and has zero effect on the availability of bootleg copies.  I guess that somehow makes sense to an industry that's willing to sue it's customer base (or settle out of court for $n thousand dollars) as a source of income.

Venting is good!  ;)

Best regards

SmashTV

973.jpg

LOL

Wow N the new comb over, shave, and crisp suit look good on ya, but your girlfriend sure has let herself go.   :D

+5 newb (Godwin's law invoke in the first page of a thread.)   ;)

+ MOAR LOL

If i had photoshop, or even shopping skills, i would totally shop nILS' face,

onto a hitler salute pic,

and the midibox logo covering every swastika in the pic.

TKs face would be a more suitable, since hes the fürher of midibox,

but i wouldnt have the balls to be that insulting,

its okay to insult nILS however!  ;)

[tt]ES LEBE MIDIBOX![/tt]