Just got massive collection of SIDs. Diving in head first...

Rave-TZ

Long story short I bought the complete stock of an old Commodore dealer. 20+ tested SID chips (only 3 8580s) and 20+ working C64s (C64, C64B, 1 C64-SX, and a few C-128s). Also have TONS of accessories / test equipment.

I love working on chiptunes and would love to adopt the SID sound. My workflow includes a Sid Station (Borrowed from a friend) and I just got a MSSIAH cart.

I'm very familiar with my soldering iron but my chip burner is old and doesn't work with some of the new PIC chips. Despite my best attempts to understand what I need and how to assemble it, there are so many concurrent versions of the MIDIBOX SID that I'm having a difficult time sorting them out on my own.

I want to build something that has a LCD display, easy controls, stored instrument settings, and all MIDI controllable. I get the impression that the MIDIBOX is my solution. While 1 SID chip would be enough, I wouldn't mind the full 8. Why limit myself when I have lots of these things?

If someone could simply tell me which kits to buy in the USA, that would be fantastic. If there is anything I need outside these kits would be good to know too.

On a side note, when I tested the 8580s, they seemed to be half the volume of the 6581s. Any reason for that?

Thanks in advance!

Me testing the SID chips pulled from non-functioning C64s with the MSSIAH cart.

71495_1549686494676_1010499480_31555198_3947127_n.jpg

The working Commodores (about half the inventory)

36186_1549687094691_1010499480_31555199_3010787_n.jpg

My SIDs

34418_1549685054640_1010499480_31555195_903460_n.jpg

Edited by Rave-TZ

I would love to buy the 3 8580 from you, and one 6581.

Pictures like this make me so happy. :)

Get yourself a coremodule and a sidmodule and go from there? If you grab it, like i did, on SmashTV you can get the PIC's preburnt with the bootloader and you won't need a pic programmer anymore for this.

8580 has lower volume? 8580 9v and 6581 12v. Be carefull, but you knew that :D

Edited by misfit

Don't cannibalize that SX!

I don't cannibalize anything that works. The 20 SIDs came from busted machines. Loving the SX though with its 42 lbs, allegedly portable awesomeness.

As for selling them, I am setting up a shop to sell most of the C64 inventory. I'll post when thats done. Mostly interested in getting some SID chiptunes up and running.

Its super pristine under the dirt

photo-730837.JPG

Edited by Rave-TZ

Great score!

I want to build something that has a LCD display, easy controls, stored instrument settings, and all MIDI controllable. I get the impression that the MIDIBOX is my solution. While 1 SID chip would be enough, I wouldn't mind the full 8. Why limit myself when I have lots of these things?

If you want to use "the full 8", you might want to consider this: http://www.midibox.org/dokuwiki/wilba_mb_6582

You could build it "stock" or use just the base PCB and build your own control surface/case, perhaps in a C64 breadbox case, i.e. like what this guy did: http://www.subatomicglue.com/sidl0g/

Also, I strongly recommend hanging on to all your C64 PSUs until you test which ones work well in a MIDIbox SID with all 8 SIDs... 8 SIDs draw a lot of current, some C64 bricks don't handle it well, or are noisy (on the audio or buzzy transformers). You might as well pick the least noisy of the lot!

I guess my issue is knowing which parts to buy on http://www.avishowtech.com/mbhp/buy.html

I need a full kit (programmed chips, boards, surface parts, etc) Lots of options here but a little confusing for someone just starting. Looking for a full 8 SID chip setup as standard as possible.

Thanks.

On a side note, I am starting to put some of this stuff on my online store. You can find it at rave-tz.com/store

Edited by Rave-TZ

"As standard as possible" with 8 SIDs == mb6582

I understand that, but I see MB-6582 Baseboard PCB, MB-6582 CS PCB, MB-6582 Baseboard Parts Kit, and I don't see any mention of the MIDI DIN connectors, LEDs, etc.

I want to build a MB 6582, I just need direction on which parts to get at the store

http://www.avishowtech.com/mbhp/buy.html

A list saying

Get:

This

This

and This

so I can build it complete is what I'm looking for.

http://www.avishowte...m/mbhp/buy.html

ID 70 MB-6582 Baseboard Parts Kit you can see Parts List

with the all included components for this kit, midi din connectors, too.

May be I am wrong. :

If MB-6582 CS PCB is not as a part of the kit , you need to buy leds and the other stuff separately.

Any way you need read much more ...

Regards,

Janis

Edited by Janis1279

From what I read I need

MB-6582 Baseboard Parts Kit

MB-6582 CS (control surface?)PCB

LEDs

Not on site:

LED display

knobs

case

Anything else I'm missing?

BTW. Thanks for helping a guy who just found this yesterday. Reading up on this project is difficult since its an evolving project. Hard to tell what data fits where. I'll document my findings and post a n00b guild to building a MIDIBOX SID 2 when its all done.

You'll have to get all of the parts for the control surface from somewhere else, as Smash doesn't stock those. You seem to have a bunch of SIDs, some C64 PSUs... I guess once you have the baseboard kit you're ready to go :) You don't *need* the CS for it to make sound and play .sid files etc, so tackle the baseboard first :)

• 1 month later...