Doug Wellington (MB-808) Contact / Status?

101 Force

I feel the same way...2 years of waiting is a bit long i guess...

Problem is that it is the best 808 clone project. Checked the other clones but they are all modular and no sequencer etc. In the meantime i tried the Acidlab Miami which is a quite good clone but all parts are SMD and with that i am not able to mod the Miami.

I had the same problem with the X0xb0x. Waited and waited and in the end i bought 3 PCBs and PICs and got the parts from mouser and Digikey. That was the fastest and easiest way.

But unfortunately we can't get the PCBs alone?

In every note Doug gets out he states that he will soon be able to ship the kits but after 3 messages of that kind nothing happens. In february i was in hospital for several weeks and in hospital i got the mail that the kits will be out soon so i thought oh oh hopefully i am back home when the kits arrive. But nothing...

So my question is is there someone who is able to provide the PCBs alone?

Edited by Acid303

So my question is is there someone who is able to provide the PCBs alone?

I built an 808 kick module put together by some friends. But, it would be nice to have all the voices and sequencer in one box.

I totally understand that life can hit people pretty hard, maybe Doug can hand over the project reigns to someone else who has more time to see it through?

Thanks to Nils for pointing this thread out to me.

I don't get a chance to login to forums much any more. The best place to get information at the moment is at the http://www.eight-oh-eight.org web page, or even better, you can email me directly. I also stay logged into the MIDIbox chat room when I'm available...

I got a chance to assemble one of the prototype boards. This was a good thing, because I found some bad things with the board. I was able to fix the design and I'm now waiting for next batch of boards. I think they will be the same as the final batch. I will build one of these as soon as they get here. If it works, I'll be able to ship the rest of them (there are a total of five, so I'll have four to ship) and then I'll place the order for the main batch of boards.

As I said, I haven't had time to login to forums, so if you have a problem with me or this project, I won't know if you don't email me. My address is doug at midibox addict dot com...

Regards,

Doug

Thank you for the update Doug. I'll email you directly if I have any more questions. Based on your update, would you say the shipment of the main batch of boards is several months away?

Thanks

I think you should email him directly with this question... :rolleyes: :whistle:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I've been trying to build this for about 3 yrs now , I was never notified to purchase batch 2 boards eventhough I was on the list. If anybody believes the current charade and wants to buy a bridge just let me know. I have a 3 bridges to sell, just send me a deposit and if I don't spend all the money before they are complete, you should have them in a few months. :frantics:

I've built the 808 modules on the microlarge site and have contemplated starting my own project with actual results. I would rather have a small group of people willing to help in the development of the new 808 clone project though. I actually have quite a few projects I've been wanting to bring to fruition and a successful 808 project most likely could fund them.

P.S.

Pics or it didn't happen.

Hiya Kreeper,

I'm sorry, I can't help you with batch 1 or batch 2 boards, they were done a long time ago by Moogah. I'm building a prototype of the batch 3 board (second batch of prototypes, the first batch had too many errors to turn into a final design) and as soon as that's done, I'll order the batch of final boards. Once I ship kits to everyone who gave me a deposit, then I will work on the waiting list.

As always, it's best to contact me at doug at midibox addict dot com. The only way I knew about this post was that SmashTV pointed it out to me in the chat. (Thanks Smash!)

Regards,

Doug

The only way I knew about this post was that SmashTV pointed it out to me in the chat. (Thanks Smash!)

Time to make use of the "Watch Topic" feature. transmit_blue.png

Intentional or not I can't afford to be associated via name drop with the MB808 and the fear/uncertainty/doubt surrounding it, So I need to clearly state that I have nothing to do with this project aside from selling Doug the PIC chips needed to build it.

Short answer: yes Doug is a friend, no I don't have any info.

He is the only guy with any answers, so sending private messages via forum/IRC/chat to other people will only serve to annoy those people.

Best regards

Tim

Time to make use of the "Watch Topic" feature.

Thanks for that. I have now set up an immediate notification for replies to this topic. Of course, I was just informed that I'm being sent on a business trip, so I won't be able to reply to anything until next Thursday. Sorry about that...

He is the only guy with any answers, so sending private messages via forum/IRC/chat to other people will only serve to annoy those people.

Exactly. Please, please, contact me directly. I don't know whether you guys are afraid of me or what, but I am *amazed* at how few people have actually contacted me directly compared to the grumbling I keep hearing rumors of.

I and I alone am to blame for all delays in this project.

If you really don't trust me and are afraid it won't ever happen, then please contact me and I will refund your deposit. (NOTE: I'll be on travel until at least next Thursday, August 11, so please be patient until I get back.)

Regards,

Doug

ah so you answer this board then doug but not my emails!?

i've sent you 4 emails asking you for a refund now spaced over about 6 weeks... only one of which you actually replied to and said you would get around to sorting out.... but you didn't. could you please sort me out with a refund? its not much to ask! the last one was sent on the 3rd of this month ,its entited "RE: Reminder!" please check and get back to me @

classifiedmaterial@live.com

Ah, glad I set up that topic watching thing.

Paul, thanks for giving me the title of your email, it's the way I figured out who you are. I had no record of "classifiedmaterial" anywhere in my database or in a paypal search. (You were listed as flashgordon.) Paypal says you're not registered with them at the live.com address, but I sent the refund anyway...

Are we sorted now?

Regards,

Doug

doug

classifiedmaterial@live.com is the email address I was using to correspond with you ,or should I say was trying to correspond with you. the emails should say this address and my name. this email address was linked to my paypal and playstation account when I put my deposit down. but after the playstation network lulsec hack I had to change all this around for security purposes and so the flashgordon address is the one now linked with my paypal. did you read all of my emails thoroughly? I stated in the original email asking for a refund that I have had to change my registered paypal email and it is now another address including the address which to send the refunded money to. then in the reminder email (the one which you replied to) I stated the instructions for refunding me were in that first email and you should refer to that one...

so it looks like what has happened here is that you have sent the money to a deactivated account. I have sent an email to paypal to see if they can help sort out this mess...

Edited by emp_t

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
I'm far enough along on the prototype that I wanted to start testing. So, I plugged in the PIC, and things didn't quite work the way I expected. I forgot that, since I rearranged the shift registers, I had to reconfigure the firmware! Why am I telling you this? I already had SmashTV burn the first set of PIC chips, and they have the old firmware. That means that you'll have to update the firmware right away when you get things set up. I'll put this in the install docs. If I don't get to it before then, I'll modify the code on the plane Sunday.

Sounds good to me! Don't forget to bring your partially completed PCB, spare components, tools, and consumables like solder and flux on your carry-on for testing and debugging. Airlines love that kind of stuff.