Network & Midi and Android

Shuriken

I have been enviously looking at the OSC iPad combo. But i could never get myself to spend the big load of cash on a tablet.

Recently i got a cheap chinese android tablet. Only 8 inch, but good enough for couch surfing. Never figured this would come in use in the studio.

Well today i discovered some interesting software which i did not want to keep from you.

It starts with:

rtpMIDI

The rtpMIDI-driver is a virtual MIDI-driver which allows DAW-applications to communicate via network with other computers.

tdaw_sessions.png

It's for Windows and yes it is compatible to Apples implementation. And its free.

The second part is (this is where my elcheapo tablet comes in):

TouchDAW

tablet_keys.png

It's an android app which let's you control your DAW, play an instrument in Piano mode or XY-pad mode. I tried it and must say it works pretty good. I expected the latency to be quite obvious, but to my suprise it works pretty fast.

There is a free version of the app. But that doesn't support multitouch. The paid version does however.

If you want to give it a try: Quickstart

And yes i know this is not equal to OSC. Maybe this will change in the near future as TouchOSC for android is getting close.

Edited by Shuriken

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Shuriken, can you share what tablet you bought? Are you happy with it?

Thanks

At the moment i have a Xiron 8 inch tablet. It's basically the same as Newman Newsmy P9 and Hyundai H700. But i think a 9,7inch tablet is a better option. That gives you the same resolution as an iPad. So i might opt for Xiron 10 inch which is the same as CUBE9T and Newman K97.

But at the moment i am just waiting to see what happens on the market. I would really like a tablet with Android ICS. Since it is a big improvement.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...