Running MB6582 off a single 12V DC Supply

Altitude

Yes i'm looking at it. It helps alot. But still can't exactly figure out how i get 12V. What i understand is that i should combine the 5V and 9V and then i would get 14V that will be regulated to 12V. But how i must combine those 2 is not completly clear to me. 

Still i connected the "J72 pin 1" with "J72 pin 2-3" and now i get 8V on the 12V line.. :fear:

So i finally got the voltages in  :cheers: thanks all for helping.

But one strange little thing when i measure the voltages at J4 and combine with GND to see what voltages are running. I see a small increase of voltage in the beginning.

Example: I measure the 5V line and the moment i connect this i see a little jump to 8V and then back to 5V. The same with the other voltages. The moment i connect a small increase in voltage and the drops down. Is this expected because of the switching regulators or is there another problem somewhere.??

Grtz

I'd suspect the switchers are causing the spike, as they are unloaded. You could test-install a load and redo the test (e.g. as proposed, the 1k resistor between 5V and GND) - the voltage spike should not be so big then... pull the resistor, if it gets hot (but unlikely)...

Many greets,

Peter

• 10 months later...
On 1/1/2016 at 5:07 PM, Altitude said:

Yep, that's how I have done it.  switching 9V and 5V Recoms and a 7812 for the +12V rail and a 15V DC supply.  You could forgo the 7812 and just use a regulated 12VDC brick but that's sort of putting yourself out there and any PSU fault could result in damage to the SIDs.  The 7812 would provide protection from overvoltage.  Triple check all your voltages before installing any chips

The wire in that pic was to power the backlights for the knobs on mine and is not necessary 

I'm confused...

How (or where) could/would both a 9v and 5v recom be installed for a mixed SID setup?

The MB-6582 needs 2 or 3 power rails. 5V and 9 or 12V for the SIDs (or both in a mixed environment).  You always use the 5V recom since it is much more efficient than the 7805 and generates no heat.  You could use a 9V one in a mixed SID environment where you have a linear Vreg for the 12V rail (meaning a supply volage of ~ 15VDC), 6V is a lot to burn off as heat..

4 hours ago, Altitude said:

The MB-6582 needs 2 or 3 power rails. 5V and 9 or 12V for the SIDs (or both in a mixed environment).  You always use the 5V recom since it is much more efficient than the 7805 and generates no heat.  You could use a 9V one in a mixed SID environment where you have a linear Vreg for the 12V rail (meaning a supply volage of ~ 15VDC), 6V is a lot to burn off as heat..

Right I get that but as far as space on the pcb for mounting both a 5v and a 9v recom.....im guessing one would need to be mounted on the underside?

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 18 January 2017 at 0:20 AM, jaytee said:

Just wired this up this afternoon. Seems to work like a charm!

Is there any chance you or someone else could do a wiring and install guide as the directions in the thread are a bit are a bit confusing?

Finally I'll be able to stop using that damn power brick!

Just now, Altitude said:

I updated my OP, the pics were on my old domain. Let me know if that isnt clear enough

Thanks man. I think I'll just post a picture of the wiring when im testing on this thread just to be sure and write a noob friendly how to guide. Really appreciate your efforts in improving MIDIbox designs. 

Here are photos of my single-supply wiring.

basically exactly the same setup as Altitude. I chose slightly different soldering points for the insulated jumpers (combining them with small component-side jumpers) just to keep them out of sight, but they're functionally identical. This is a 9V only solution, with a 7809 installed alongside the Recom 5V regulator from earlier in this thread. Pay attention to jumper locations.

To hook up to a power supply, looking at the first photo (component side) connect + to the left-hand 9VAC pad and - to the right-hand 9VAC pad.

Edited by jaytee