[S] TPD (Track Position Display) PCBs for sale

ilmenator

OK - thanks.  I'll take another look at the schematic - it's a bit of a complex schematic to read with all the leds, but I guess I'll take a second look and see if I can figure it out.  ...or maybe I'll just go over all the U1 and U2 IC leg soldering again.

Edited by borfo

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

can you hook me up with another pcb the ledmatrixes and the segment displays ?

I could send you another complete kit - I am not going to split what I have already packed because I will be moving soon and most of my electronic inventory is already in boxes. I'll be traveling to Germany on September 7th so you could get extra cheap shipping if you are quick.

You are correct, your soldering is probably ok. However, you picked the wrong 7-segment displays, the pinout on yours is different. You need those that have common cathodes on pins 3 and 8 like the ones from Reichelt. On the ones you have, pins 3 and 8 are connected to segments c and g - the ones that are lit in the picture above.

Hm.  Thanks - I was starting to wonder if that might be the problem...  Is that something I can fix with the BPM_DIGITS_COMMONX_PIN settings in the config file, or am I going to have to pull these and install new ones?

Argh...  How dumb.  I found the SC39-12's on Mouser, looked at the datasheet for the part at Reichelt, saw that the SC39-12s were listed, and just assumed they were the same without looking any more closely.  I guess these are the right ones?

http://ca.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Kingbright/SC39-11GWA/?qs=%2fha2pyFadujZZmhir7g8a4MDNifw%252bt1YLT0eP6qwECY%3d

Mouser part #604-SC39-11GWA

Edited by borfo

Yes, this data sheet looks ok. And no, it cannot be fixed in software. You might cut some traces and run little wires instead, but this would require you to understand the schematics and find the right traces on the PCB - and then figure out where to cut them for least effort.

I'll take a look and see what I'd have to reroute, but I suspect there would be a lot of rerouting involved.  Probably easier to pull and replace them.  Thanks a lot for your help, it's much appreciated.

You may want to put a note in the Wiki page BOM that the common cathodes have to be on pins 3 and 8 - I haven't used LED digits for much before, it didn't occur to me that the common cathodes might be located on different pins.

Edited by borfo

Rather than totally destroying this board trying to pull the LED digits without a solder rework station, maybe the thing to do here is just get another PCB...  Do you have PCBs or kits still available, Ilmenator?  If so, I'll just build another one and maybe I'll pass this one along to someone who doesn't care too much about the digits.

In other news, blowtorches don't make great substitutes for solder rework tools.  haha.

Edited by borfo

• 4 months later...