My frontpanel

Twin-X

well its my first try and i quite succeeded. I don't think alot of people will like it tough.

sidpanel.jpg

I got the holes done by schaeffer i send in my own panel.

After that i applied some lazertran paper.

To do this i printed the schaeffer panel with pdfwriter.

Then i imported it in photoshop and applied the images and colors etc. I copied this on lazertranpaper (i am lucky to have access to a 100K color printer wich suits perfect for this paper) and then i put it in oven to get it burned on the panel.

It looks quite nice but i could have done better. But hey not bad for a first try ;)

this is amazing!!!!

very good job! ouaw!

is it possible to have a bigger pic? looks very nice!

I'm still looking for someone, somewhere, something (a printer lol) to print white stuff... (hard to make black and white panel!)

Guest analouge

Hey Twin-x!

VERY NICE JOB!!!!! ;D ;D

I'm working on something similar myself, only I plan not the whole user interface, but only the Step B interface in a one unit 19" rack, it's kinda hard to see for me, but is that a two unit rack? Anyway - COOL!!

OK, so I'm working on this design of mine - and until now I have just used the paint program in windows to make some drafts, and then enhanced some graphics in photoshop, but I'm not satisfied - It's so nice to see other ones succeed, gives me inspiration to try on and on.

But I've been trying to get some of that Lazertran stuff myself, but noone seems to even know what it is. Can someone help me? Maybe a webshop where I can get it? And - do I need a color laser printer to do the job?

I have also thought of the "print-shop" next door... They make stickers, posters, prints on t-shirts and all that stuff, so I gather they can put some stuff on an alu-plate too... but then again - I fear that's gonna be expensive... I bought a sticker with my name on from them - to put on the sidedoor of my car, and it was like 15x5cm and I had to pay them like 20usd just for 8 small letters!!

So please help me - I want to make designs with lazertran too - an easy (and cheaper?) way to make those panels...

By the way - llittle off topic - as I don't have any rack stuff myself - how big is 1 unit in a 19" rack? Is the panel front actually 19" wide? and the height?

Anyway - VERY COOL panel you got there twin-x!! :D :D

Cheers!

- how big is 1 unit in a 19" rack? Is the panel front actually 19" wide? and the height?

so the front panel of a rack case is 19" wide, and one unit is 1.75". Usually the case is not 19" wide, but somehing like 16".

this is amazing!!!!

very good job! ouaw!

is it possible to have a bigger pic? looks very nice!

I'm still looking for someone, somewhere, something (a printer lol) to print white stuff... (hard to make black and white panel!)

When i advance in my work i will add close ups (than you can see that i did not succeed 100%.

I do not think there is a way to print white. So you have to spraycan your panel with good paint and then apply lazertran ;)

I'm working on something similar myself, only I plan not the whole user interface, but only the Step B interface in a one unit 19" rack, it's kinda hard to see for me, but is that a two unit rack? Anyway - COOL!!

Yes this is a 2U it fits (very tightly and i made an ubermistake! The lcd does not fit in the case cause of the print attached AAAARGGHHH but i am gonna be creative ;)

But I've been trying to get some of that Lazertran stuff myself, but noone seems to even know what it is. Can someone help me? Maybe a webshop where I can get it? And - do I need a color laser printer to do the job?

This is a transparrent sheet attached to paper. You must print on it in reverse. (you can compare it to the stuff you get when building plastic hoby kits you know the decal. Those are the images you have to put in water and then slide of and attach to the plastic kit)

go to www.lazertran.com and locate the nearest location. Find the email adres and mail your order i ordered a pack of a4 and a pack (4 sheets) of a3 for my 19" He will ask your creditcard and i got the pack after a week. I had 3 copies of the panel on 1 A3 for a try out i suceeded after the second one (meaning i have a spare one.) If it scrateches i will sandpaper the panel and paint the panel and reapply the sheet.

So make your image and make a test print. This can be on more a4 papers if you have a large panel. Just cut it right.

Look if the image fits the holes (in case it's predrilled like mine)

When you are happy try to get as many copies on 1 sheet. Look for a laserprinter that prints below 200 degrees! Very important or else your paper will kill the printer since it will burn itself on the rolls! Usually expensive ones or printshops have these printers or photocopiers (select sheetpaper to decrease fuser temprature)

Cut out the image and put it into cold water for 1 or 2 minutes. The deal is now loose from the paper.

Make your panel wet.

Slide the decal onto the panel gently. When you have placed it gently get all air bubles out with a sponge by rubbing it (this will clean the the decal aswell)

When you are statisfied let it drie for 2 hours

Then put it into a oven for 1 hour on lowest temprature.

After that hour increase temprature every 10 minutes until you reach 200 degrees celcius. Stop th eprocess is the sheet looks very shiny. You must be gentle i can better take long instead of short.

Let it cool off. Your done. Fill all small bubbles that still existed with paint or marker to make it a bit nicer.

You are done.

Do not expect powder coating but it is still firm and quite scratch proof.

I will awnser more questions if you like.

Guest analouge

Thanks for the very detailed discription!! Answered a lot of my question... I'll see if I can get hold of the Lazertran sheets now and try to get myself a nice frontpanel.

I might pay the printshop a visit and ask them how many of my month salaries they claim as their own for a powder coating work...... I'll see... All depends on price, and I fear it's not cheap, - after all, it's just ONE alu plate not 1000. But I'll ask them... maybe they can get me some lazertran too... If I explain to them what it is :D HAHA

Then put it into a oven for 1 hour on lowest temprature.

After that hour increase temprature every 10 minutes until you reach 200 degrees celcius. Stop th eprocess is the sheet looks very shiny. You must be gentle i can better take long instead of short.

Just wondering. My panel is sprayed white with the usual arosol spray paint. Am planning to put on some decals like lazertran. Then do a clear coat finish.

Am wondering will the baking in the oven do any damage to the spray paint coat?

Cheers

Nice!

The metal seems to be quite thick? How much mm is it?

3 millimeter it is a frontpanel of a blind panel of a serverrack.
Am wondering will the baking in the oven do any damage to the spray paint coat?

It depends. Never get your oven higher than 200 degrees and keep watching after an hour to check if you see bubbles if you see them open the lid of the oven.

I don't know what paint i have but it remained unburned.

Ceramic spray paints made for automobile engines work quite nicely. The common ones are good up to 500F / 260C iirc. If you are patient and do nice multiple coats and some fine sanding you can get a really nice surface.

"Dupli-Colorâ„¢ Engine Enamel with Ceramic"

Colors: http://www.duplicolor.com/products/colors/highheat.html

'DE 1636 Clear' might be a good idea for a glossy finishing coat if you like that sort of thing. Goes on foggy, dries clear as glass as far as I can tell.

Disclaimer: I don't know how lazertran decals are affected by these paints.

If you are patient and do nice multiple coats and some fine sanding you can get a really nice surface.  

Yeah, i'm planning to do something like that. White panel and with red labels.

Anyone know any other way to put text and labels up with out using decals.

After some sanding, thought of using silk screen to put up the details and then a clear coat spray to finish it. But not sure what type of paint to use for the silk screen so that the clear coat won't damage it. The only paint i've got is tc, used for t-shirts(do my own tees)..

Finally started cutting my own panel... man is it slow..3 hours and i've got only 5 badly 6cm x 1.5cm cut holes... But seeing the holes is a real satisfaction...

Added 19 06 04

panel_cut.jpg

panel_cut2.jpg

Finally after 10hrs, starting to take shape. Gots lots of areas to touch up with the putty to even things up.

Cheers :)

isn't it to make silk screening you need a silk screen. And i know a silk screen is very expensive.

I've got access to some silk screening facilities and its kinda free as i know the technician there.

Thing is i'm wondering if its applicable as they are mainly used for printing on cloth to make t-shirts and stuff. Also what kinda of paint should i use?

I would stick to lazertran if i were you

I can't seem to find any lazertran or similar diy decal locally. Am in singapore and getting online isn't that cheap as the postage is a killer too.

But erm what are you building intosite?

I'm making a controller for a video app.

The layout, trying to keep this to one core module.

layout.gif

hmm try to get some car paint since it's very tough stuff.

As far as I know, "car paint isn't it", doesn't work for silk screening.. but there are 300/600dpi silk screens for detailed work. The mask is done by using photosensitive emulsion/ "photographic" prosess. (Hobbyist shops here don't seem to know anything ' bout it)

?!, Moebius

shed, I'm not sure If I got you right.. but silk screening is 'bout pressing ink through mask to surface. Yes, of course it has to have surface that is willing to accept da paint. As far as I know (not that far ;)) any pro device from synths to mobilephones are painted by silk screening.. please, PRO's, tell me if I'm wrong??!

Bye, Moebius

yep i know how silk screening works, ive done some t shirts and things with it. :)

However i was just sugesting that axels method looked quite pro, without having to do anything messy with paint or oven bakeing, and it might suit your aplication if it wasnt going to be used heavely.

-ed

hmm try to get some car paint since it's very tough stuff.

I tried to look for that, but can't seem to find any in my country. So i'm using acrylic epoxy spray paint which is commonly found in my country.

As far as I know, "car paint isn't it", doesn't work for silk screening.. but there are 300/600dpi silk screens for detailed work. The mask is done by using photosensitive emulsion/ "photographic" prosess. (Hobbyist shops here don't seem to know anything ' bout it)

That's the process the screen is made. Coating the screen with a 'greenish' chemical. Then laying a positive trans over it and exposing it to a strong UV spot light for 40secs, or normal sunlight on a sunny day for 2days. Then wash the chemical off the screen. Viola, the screen.

i guess it depends on how harsh an enviroment its going to be used in, and also what sort of surface you are printing onto.

Well i guess my controller will the lugged around quite alot and will be subjected to heavy use. The silk screen will be printed on the the spray paint coat i'm doing with acrylic epoxy spray paint.

yep i know how silk screening works, ive done some t shirts and things with it.  

I've only done silk screen printing on t-shirts and paper. But both using a paint type i'm told as tc-mani, kinda of latex paint so it doesn't crack when you stretch your shirt. Still i don't know what kind of paint to use.

However i was just sugesting that axels method looked quite pro, without having to do anything messy with paint or oven bakeing, and it might suit your aplication if it wasnt going to be used heavely.

I thought of it too. But am first afraid the ink might start to fade after a month or so or even faster when expose to high uv sources. Also the issue of the borders around the cut out area.

Thanks for all your response.

Can't wait to finish my midi box.

Cheers :)

See also http://www.gocco.com/prod.HTM

These are silkscreen kits that have sold millions in Japan.  The kit takes all of the guesswork and required skills out of making the screen.  I doubt the included inks would work well for smooth surfaces, but who knows?

http://www.dickblick.com/categories/printgocco/ is a retailer with all of the gocco stuff.  They have a great selection of non-gocco screen printing supplies also.  

In my very limited esperience screening simple shirts, I know the hardest part of the process is making a good screen.  The rest is trial/error and practice.  

The great thing about screening panels is once you have a good screen you can simply clean the ink off of the panel and try again if it doesn't come out right (unlike shirts!)

Have fun!  :)

SmashTV

also with silk screening t-shirts its realy hard to line things up if you use more than one colour.  I guess its less of a problem with a solid panel or something because you can make a jig or something so that the difrent layers line up properly, solong as you cut them properly.

-ed