Re: MIDIbox SID V1.7

bosone

• 2 weeks later...

Fine - I'm still open to new patches. In the meantime I found the patches of js in my spamfolder (unfortunately this can happen from time to time). I will upload an incomplete second bank soon which will have enough slots for your future contributions

Best Regards, Thorsten.

• 2 months later...

I'm planning to do a service update for MBSID V1.7 with following bug fixes:

• patch name editor bugfix for 2x16 displays
  • avoid crash on maximum WT rate
  • Proper handling of SusKey (automatic portamento) when Legato is active at the same time

Are there any other imperfections which need to be fixed?

Best Regards, Thorsten.

MIDIbox SID V1.7a can now be downloaded from http://www.ucapps.de/mios_download.html

Fixed bugs:

• patch name editor bugfix for 2x16 displays
  • avoid crash on maximum WT rate
  • Proper handling of SusKey (automatic portamento) when Legato is active at the same time

New feature:

o there is now a 6th LFO waveform which forwards analog conversion
    results from the first 6 analog inputs (J5 port of the core
    module) to the LFOs.
    This allows you to control the SID with analog signals
    The LFO Depth controls the impact on the modulation target
    The LFO Rate controls the update cycle - a lower rates result to
    very stuttering effects, the highest rate (127 -> 812 uS sample
    period) to a very accurate control of Frequencies/Pulsewidths/Filter

Thinkable analog sources are pots, joysticks, CV outs, ...
[/code]

Have some analog fun! :)

Best Regards, Thorsten.

looks good... thanks thorsten, i think this means 3 or 4 pots on my sid, an expression pedal socket and a cv input, i have been wanting more controls like this but didn't want to build the full cs because of the cost...

i started soldering today, i have only destroyed one pad through overheating on the optocoupler socket, i think this will be the slave board now ;-) and i should take great care soldering the other core...

all the best

adam

• 1 month later...

Thorsten,

Actualy designing a complete SidBox, does this new functionnality with the sixth LFO impact the front panel design ?

Should I add an input in the front ?

One last question, from all SidBoxer experience, what is interesting to assign to the assignable encoders ? I don't want to write "Assign #1" on the front panel. The assigned controlers are fixed in the code, so they can't be modified without compiling the code ?

Thank you for your help.

ludo

Hi Ludo,

Actualy designing a complete SidBox, does this new functionnality with the sixth LFO impact the front panel design ?

Should I add an input in the front ?

the official release doesn't use an additional LED for the 6th LFO waveform, the "Random" and "Sine" LED will lit at the same time to notify this, and this should be ok

Just keep in mind that I would never change my own frontpanel, therefore you can be sure that the original design will always work

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Hi Thorsten,

Thank you for your answer.

However, what about Assign #n ? Is it set in the code ? What typical function can be assign to ? I parse the SID web pages without finding any details about that. And the source code didn't learn me a lot.

ludo

Hi Ludo,

However, what about Assign #n ? Is it set in the code ? What typical function can be assign to ? I parse the SID web pages without finding any details about that. And the source code didn't learn me a lot.

The assign function is a typical feature which has been requested by somebody, that I've implemented in an extreme flexible way to meet all possible needs, but which is in fact very rarely used (otherwise you would get an answer from people who like this feature).

The upper assigns are sending CCs at channel #16, you can control functions of your host sequencer with them

The lower assigns can be used to control the 5 visible menu parameters directly (a very powerfull feature, especially when WT sequences are edited)

However, this feature is full configurable. See cs_menu_enc_table.inc

You can send CCs at any channel, relative MIDI events (e.g. to software from Native Instruments like Reaktor to control external effects), you can change any SID parameter, switch to menus automatically or not, or (as mentioned) you can change the visible menu parameters directly.

Not sure which individual setting you would prefer, I use the default setup

Best Regards, Thorsten.