x/y touchpad controller

zeh

Nah they only sent me a pair of pots... I will probably use them later but I didn't get the XY I asked for so I decided to wait until then before I try the spectra stuff :-\

Hey, if they do ship to France, they also have cheap PLED displays and all other kinds of good stuff (got 8 2x20's and 2 4x20's last week :D). The staff there are really cool and will surely try and help you out if they can.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 11 months later...

i finally managed out how to connect this thing.

SoftpotXY.JPG

it was more simple that what i thought...

the XY pad has a total of 4 contacts, two UP/DOWN , two LEFT/RIGHT

you have to connect ground to DOWN and +5V to LEFT (for example, or UP/RIGHT)

then at the UP pin you have signal for the Y and on the "RIGHT" pin you have signal for the X

the problem is that the voltages are divided in a strange way, for example 2.5 - 5 V for Y, 0 - 2.5V for x (or

viceversa, dont' remember well)

but i have just build the AC sensorizer, and it would be just the right application to handle this new toy!

but i write also for an additional question.

how can i connect this thing to the midibox!?!?!

the connector is made of plastic and is rather impossible to solder direclty a wire on it. i should find something

to connect to the printed circuit, but i have no idea how the connections to this kind of "plastic" are handled...

do you have ideas?

thanks!

now that i finally connected it i realized that X and Y signal are dependent one on the other... you cannot move X and let Y stay constant, for example

still i cannot figure out how this thing should be connected or what should be its purpose...  ??? ???

unfortunately, i thing the only reason for use it would be as a linear ribbon-like controller, not X/Y one...  :(

I also have got a XY-pad here, but I gave up searching for a solution because I couldn't find one.

It's basically 2 very broad ribbon-controllers  that are on top of each other, but one is turned 90°.

So when you look down at them it looks like that:

B

____|_____

|            |

|            |

A---|            |---A

|            |

|________|

|

B

I hope you know what I mean

• 1 month later...

Maybe you can get independent X/Y readings by alternatively pulsing +5 to either side and reading from the other?

this could be a wise solution, but honestly i'm not able to design a custom circuit to achieve this!!!

and you have also to read the signal by precise timing...

I also have got a XY-pad here, but I gave up searching for a solution because I couldn't find one.

:(

i suggest you to use it as a "standard" linear touchpad...

if i remember well, connect 0-5 to left right, solder together the up/down connector and pick up the signal from this latter two pins. you should have a linear pot!

i tought that, by having an appropriate software like NI traktor, you can use it for Scratching mp3 like a dj with turntable.

but i don't have tracktor and i didn find any free-software with this function! (if you know just tell me!)

ive got one of those pads as well, and this is how it works..(long time ago since ive tested it so i dont know the exact pins anymore)

you are right x and Y are dependent.. but not really..

check this out..

|\          /|

|  \      /  |

|    \  /    |

|      X      |

|    /  \    |

|  /      \  |

|/          \|

------------

ok right, now this is the pad.

the red line is one axis, and the green one is another..that means if you move your finger along one of those lines the value of the other doesnt change.

it contradicts a typical xy grid.. however there is, or should be, some simple code to change this.. i havent thought of it yet.. and right now im kind of in the middle of some other projects..

the red line is one axis, and the green one is another..that means if you move your finger along one of those lines the value of the other doesnt change.

it contradicts a typical xy grid.. however there is, or should be, some simple code to change this.. i havent thought of it yet.. and right now im kind of in the middle of some other projects..

well... i didnt noticed this.

anyway... what about just rotating the pad 45 degres?!? :-) somelike odd to use, but...

i will try!!!

thanks!

PS: what is midibox ORB !?

• 9 months later...

The page for the X=Y touchpad is out!

I gess that they're not selling anymore!

however there is, or should be, some simple code to change this.. i havent thought of it yet..

Actually is not that simple, you must do a double linear translation! Really weird that two crossed axis!!

• 7 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Hi, I made an application(no MIOS) with Touchpad (resistive touch screen).

The method I use is this ...

X polarization touch screen

If touch()

read _X()

Y_ polarization touch screen

read_Y()

average(), adjustment range(), etc.

I recently managed to compile with "MIOS"! :frantics: and I'm reading the touchscreen (X_Y).

Using the example ain64_din128_dout128_v2c.zip (10 bits resolution is used).

Missing the range adjustment functions and read axesX_Y alternately ... (I'm a rookie with MIOS) and see results.

But I think it would be very easy and interesting to do with ACSensorizer!

sorry for the translation.