SIDbox

c0nsumer

Hey everyone... I'm new around here, but for the past few days I've been working a MIDIbox SID implementation for myself and a few friends. So, I figured I'd post about it for people to see.

As a bit of background, it turns out that a couple of people I know have spare SIDs laying around but never got to building MIDIbox SIDs. Since I've been wanting one myself as well, I decided to put together a board for an all-in-one sound module style MIDIbox SID, which I am calling the SIDbox.

As things are still getting started I don't have too much information posted yet, but if you'd like to take a look at PNG exports of the schematic and board layout, please take a look here: SIDbox. (Click the thumbnails to view a resized version, then for a full 300dpi image, click the resolution listed in the upper right portion of the page.)

What I've done is taken the MIDIbox core module, stripped off everything I don't need, and merged it with a SID module, the LED portion from a LTC module, and added a power supply. This is all placed on a single 160mm x 70mm board, which should slip nicely into the grooves Hammond 1455T1601 (PDF) enclosure. The front will likely have some graphics and Power / MIDI IN / MIDI OUT LEDs, and the rear has a power switch, power jack (~15VAC), Audio In and Out, and MIDI IN/OUT/THRU. I'll likely have the end panels manufactured by Front Panel Express. The current plan is for mine to be made out of black anodized parts, even though silver is available. I just don't like silver stuffs, personally.

Of course, one will need to change IC9, C1, and C2 depending on what version of the SID they are using.

The board also has a 1x6 connector on it, pinned and oriented so that a Microchip PICkit2 Programmer can easily plug into it. I decided to go with this instead of the 'standard' MBHP_BURNER interface because I've already got a PICkit2, and it was pretty simple to add. Also, this method doesn't require any jumpers. I've also put together a stand-alone ZIF socketed DIP40 Microchip adapter to make programming the PICs easier, but I don't have any images of that up yet. If you are interested in how I did this, just look over the aforementioned Microchip PICkit2 page. I pretty much just lifted the design from the docs there.

Right now I'm waiting for the parts orders from Mouser and Digi-Key to show up so I can confirm the physical dimensions of the power switch and power jack. After that's done, I'll likely send the boards out to be manufactured. The design seems pretty solid to me, and I'm happy with its layout. At this point I'm only planning on having around 5 boards. Two for me, and three for friends. (I want one module based on a 6581 and another 8580 just... because.) My current estimate is that the cost for each completed module will be around US$150, with the enclosure and end panels accounting for the majority of the cost. (The boards should be less than $20/each.)

At this point I'm planning on releasing the EAGLE board and schematic files, the gerber and excellon files, the FPD panels for the panels, and a full BOM as things get completed. All parts (except the PCB, obviously) are available from Mouser and Digi-Key. I've considered the possibility of selling this as a kit, but at this point I'm just not sure I want to do that level of work. Piecing together kits is a big hassle...

Anyway, that's my rambling for now. I hope you all find this project interesting.

-Steve

Very interesting concept :) Be curious to see specs like noisefloor when it's done.

Thanks. :) I just want something... Simple.

With regards to noise, I don't think it'll be any better than the currently available boards because I've basically just reimplemented the design. I've done my best to keep the audio lines as isolated as possible as well. One change I may make is with the Audio In line, as it could probably be routed a bit more directly to the SID crossing fewer other lines. I also don't like how it is currently routed beneath the 1Mhz osc. I may try that later today...

For what it's worth, the images on the site will always be the latest design. I'm not going to bother with any sort of revision history for this.

-Steve

Eh, I just went ahead and moved the Audio In / Out lines a bit to isolate them as much as possible. Out crosses nothing, and in only crosses one of lines running to one of the bypass for Audio In. There's also groundplane opposite the whole of the analog audio lines...

Anyone have any other ideas how better the audio could be cleaned up?

In case anyone is still following this, I sent off the gerbers and drill file yesterday to order six PCBs. The remaining parts for the first prototype (and the PIC programmer) are on the way from Mouser.

An updated schematic, freedfm.com results, PNG export of the board, etc are all available here.

So, hopefully within two weeks or so I'll have the first prototype put together. Suffice to say, I'm excited. Now it's time to start laying out the front and rear panels of the enclosure. :D

-Steve

Look very nice, i'll be interested in such a pcb !  :)

At this point they aren't for sale. Three of the PCBs are going to me, and friends currently have reservations on the other three.

That's if it all works, even.

I'm considering offering the PCBs (or even whole kits) for sale, but I'm not certain if this is a path I want to go down yet.

-Steve

• 2 years later...