I HAVE 30 SID 8580 R5s!

Slorrin

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Update!

the anti static tubing i bought did not "cut easily" as the man at the store described, but crumbled and cracked at the touch of a knife.

Seeking an alternative shipping solution than IC tubing .

No added expense to you guys though, it's my own damn fault.

These things are a nightmare to cut!

I use some utility cutters from harbor freight tools, looks like they just discontinued them but there is still a google cache of the page here.

Looks like I'll be shopping for a new way myself, I wear out a set of these every couple of months....  :-\

For the ones that like to shatter, heat them up slightly with a hair dryer before cutting and they will play nice.  Those tubes deform easily with just a little heat though!

The fine tooth saw thing works great too, I took that to the next level and loaded a fine blade in my electric miter saw, but even that is a headache unless you are re-tubing 5000 16 pin sockets at a time.  ;)

The fastest and cleanest way I know is a torch-heated razor blade in a scraper type holder, not practical for anything but a one-time setup.  :)

Best

Smash

These things are a nightmare to cut!

I use some utility cutters from harbor freight tools, looks like they just discontinued them but there is still a google cache of the page here.

Looks like I'll be shopping for a new way myself, I wear out a set of these every couple of months....  :-\

For the ones that like to shatter, heat them up slightly with a hair dryer before cutting and they will play nice.  Those tubes deform easily with just a little heat though!

The fine tooth saw thing works great too, I took that to the next level and loaded a fine blade in my electric miter saw, but even that is a headache unless you are re-tubing 5000 16 pin sockets at a time.  ;)

The fastest and cleanest way I know is a torch-heated razor blade in a scraper type holder, not practical for anything but a one-time setup.  :)

Best

Smash

You.. you do all this before putting the SIDs in the tube, right?

:D

All the bundles are done.  I got a hacksaw, took apart those tubes like a .. saw through plastic?

wrapped everything up in the anti static envelopes, tomrrow i will ship them and give you all your tracking numbers.

have fun, sorry for the delay :(

Slorrin i have not heard from you yet.

Do you still have 1 for me?

Please include the price so i can paypal you.

Again i live in the Netherlands.

Hi Slorrin,

I'm sorry that I still haven't sent you the money  :(. I've sent you a mail because I wanted to send you the money in a letter, but you didn't reply. So I first had to make a paypal-account and inform myself a bit about this way of paying. But you'll get the money for sure.

ha!  sorry, i've been mega busy.  I got a 2nd job, as i think i mentioned, and my correspondance has been falling off a bit.

sending money in the mail is never advisable.  Once i sent a cashiers check for about 600$ because the place i was paying didnt take paypal, credit cards or wire transfer, and the mail lost it.  you can cancel a cashier's check and get your oney back, but if it ever shows up at the destination, and they decide to cash it, they get your money...

:(

good news everyone, your sids are in the mail!

It's a jovial exclamatory "ha!"

like "Hale good fellow!"

paypal's pretty easy, if you have an account, i send you an invoice to that account, and you click "pay this invoice"

it takes the money from your credit card, and gives it to me, then you p[ay your credit card bill.

But, i will admit, i had to learn how to invoice people recently, and it was brutal.

Hehe, I suffer from a similar affliction! That said, if I understood how TK had implemented the addressing of the SID core, I guess i'd understand how to address the SMS chip. Since it only has rudimentary envelopes and no filter I guess it would be simpler than the SID.

Personally, I don't have much use for a 3x square wave digital synth. If you were to implement native CV control for a nice resonant filter, it might be nice though.

Yeah, i'm digging the speakjet especially for unusual ambient sounds. I don't really have much use for speech but it could be cool too. Can it play poly when in the tone mode?

With regards to the pokey, I believe that it's not possible to directly address specific frequencies, so making it work in a musical sense could be difficult. The SMS chip is a pretty generic device so it's slightly easier to work with as it supports the same kind of microcontroller addressing. Of course, this is all from what i've researched, i'm in now way qualified to say wether it's all true!

I'd like someone use the old VIC chip as a tone generator, as it can output 3 channels of square wave and one of noise simultaneously, much like the GB (for obvious reasons ;) )