front panel drawing software

cimo

I want to know the same, but my OS is XP.

I asked this question several times in other threads, but

no one really answered it.

I'd also like to know how you print the layout on lazertran or self-adhesive foil

so that the dimensions fit.

(e.g. that a 5mm hole has a diameter of exactly 5mm)

matthias

i used to do the following steps:

1. burn a linux live cd (xubuntu works well on my macbook, for non-intel macs there are many other distributions too)

2. install wine (windows emulator)

3. start your app

i partitioned my harddisk with boot camp and then installed xubuntu in a few additional steps (described on an ubuntu website or so)

but actually visiting a friend who has a windows pc would have been the easiest way..

hey

i remember once i ve seen an application that could calculate the time needed by your bath tube to cross the atlantic ocean wiht the only engine provided by an english duck and you tell me isn t there a specific program to draw front plates? hey hey

SLP: i had often the same problem and it was all about the printer drivers and/or application printing settings: you have to be sure that in both the settings you choose "actual size" and "borderless" printing, be sure there is no adaptation to the paper size.hope it will help

simone

use inkscape (www.inkcape.org) if you want an open source program, it is similar to freehand and has easy tutorials built in that show what you need to do and what not.

for a 3d-model with lighted leds and a spotlight reflection on the case use blender (www.blender.org)    :D

i am looking forward to your model! no, just kidding. but inkscape can do.

for a 3d-model with lighted leds and a spotlight reflection on the case use blender

I recommend http://sketchup.google.com/product_suf.html for 3d modelling. It's definitely  the easiest and most intuitive 3d program I ever stumbled upon (costs nothing; restricted export formats though - no dxf export or similar -, but good enough for exact planning, nice shadings, too – and lovely sketchy designs).

I tried blender, too: did three tutorials... now I can flip around the inteface-menus like a pro, but am still too dumb to draw a simple rectangle  :P :-[

IMHO inkscape is more like corelDraw than freehand; not bad though...

and there's CanvasX (not free, but far less expensive than overpriced stuff like illustrator)

http://www.acdamerica.com/products-x/x/default.html

cheers,

Michael

For creating home-brew panels, you can use any graphics program that will let you set A)the size of the image, and B)the resolution.  Other than that, it'd be nice if the program has a reliable way to calculate the position of what you're drawing.  Vector based graphics programs are probably the best choice, but are only absolutely necessary when dealing with CAM work (and for that matter, a lot of shops have the ability to convert black and white raster images to vector).  I would recommend some sort of cad software, since you'll be able to reliably place features and text where you want them.  I believe that mathcad and turbocad both have trial versions.  Autocad would obviously be the best choice- I'm not going to tell you to bittorrent it, but, it is out there, and I believe that there is a light version which will do everything you need (not to mention that they almost give ACAD away to students... Remember- they make their money off of architecture and engineering firms, not people doing the occasional panel layout).  A program like Adobe Illustrator may have a shallower learning curve, but isn't (in my opinion) as functional as even the worst CAD program for something like this. 

A brief explaination:

Vector graphics are graphics files that contain instructions for the computer on where and how to draw lines, arcs, etc..(which is why they scale better).

Raster graphics are graphics files that contain (generally speaking) pixel by pixel information as to their color and luminescence.

In summary:

Vector graphics: draw line from point 2,4 to point 5,6

Raster graphics: pixel 1= 255 2=122 etc...

Has anybody ever tried this?

http://www.abacom-online.de/uk/html/frontdesigner.html

there's a demo-version, it's actually not bad, but IMHO it's a bit expensive..

I bought this app too and 39 euro is not expensive. You can create a panel and make a hplg out of it.

Load the hplg into frontpanel designer from schaeffer and you will save alot of money on your frontpanel (if you make use of this service offcourse)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi all!

Did someone succeed with the DXF save of inkscape ? I tried it, it worked a long time and when i opened it with DXFViewer, i had only a few things from the original file. Should i make a unique path of my panel by using Difference and Combine tools ??

I have found a company that could cut and engrave my panel. I still don't know what file format i could give them.

Thanks for your help.

Cheers, Didier.

• 2 weeks later...

hi

i ve exported an image of an Eagle PCB (90dpi) and imported it in Inkscape but alignment is all *filtered* up !!  :D

any idea what could be wrong?

Also if i export Inkscape to image and Eagle to image and import the 2 images in Gimp they won t align properly.

??? ???

simone

hi

please refer to the following thread:

http://www.midibox.org/forum/index.php?topic=9627.msg71985#msg71985

the 2 threads are running uselessly together i think we should keep on here in Tips n Tricks.

I am very satisfied with this set up and the work sped up here a rendered image of the front panel, the sub panel and the different PCBs imported from Eagle.

Dark blue is the front panel

Light blue is the subpanel

Black are the PCBs and dimensions traces

Consider that all layer have a 30% opacity

IIEGO_render.jpg

you can visually check all the alignment so you are sure that you won t have a surprise.. for example right now just previewing the image i ve found out a hole that is not aligned, just on the left of the first fader..

I d like to have a "reload layers" function in Gimp maybe it is possible with AppleScript, that would eventually speed up the process even more.

Simone

• 4 weeks later...

Attack of the newb:

Does anyone know of any contacts who are able to make the panels once they are designed

I suspect any old metal shop, but I expect there is a thread already of people/companies who can create these professionally?