stand alone arpeggiator

maddmattz

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Since this project appears a bit frozen and since I really felt like doing it, I started coding (mostly in C) on a stand-alone arpeggiator as well. What I have so far is a basic early 80s arp =) Most of what the foundation I think will be needed for the final app is working already. This includes the internal clocking (editable bpm, bar type and note length*), a full menu handler (designed for a 2x40 LCD, menu style very similar to the one used for the SID) and all input/output handlers. I'm testing the app on my Step C SID, which really comes in handy with all its knobs, buttons and LEDs =)

What needs to be done is synch'ing with an external MIDI clock signal, and designing all sorts of crazy algorithms for the arpeggiator modes and accents (I like the mutator idea. Just say it "mutator". Sounds good. Gotta be good.). The way I designed the app so far, it's possible to have completely independant and customizable menus for every mode, allowing potential programmers to go wild on their arp ideas.

I guess, what I'm trying to say is this - I'll keep working on it no matter if anyone else needs/wants it. Sadly, the last attempt for an arp didn't really get too much attention. Anyways, if there are people interested in testing the very pre-alpha software or have suggestions or feature requests - just shoot.

BTW, I wrote this around 04:24am. <- Lame excuse for the spelling. Damn, I actually just bought an ATARI 2600 on eBay. Gotta love the "suggest a price" feature.

*Internal clocking tests showed that the software runs pretty well and stay on time. Letting the arp run for 15 minutes while constantly sending CCs to it and moving through the menus rather randomly lead to it losing 3ms. Which is close enough I suppose.

julienvoirin: I am aware of the clockbox (stryd_ones arp was based on it) and I plan to "borrow" some of the code from him or at least let myself be inspired by it =)

Jaicen: It's a 4xSID v1 with full CS - so plenty of buttons, knobs and LEDs to misuse =)