SwinSID - a pin compatible alternative to the SID chip

TheFumigator

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Nils, right below the audio out there's a 5x2 header labeled U$2.  Is that where the money goes in?

Hahaha, yeah, that's the donation deposit header ;D

I would use a PCM1725 instead of TDA1543 - availablility and quality are significantly better

Will look into that, thanks.

PCM1725: TI says Not Recomended for New Designs and suggests using the PCM1754 instead (which is only available in SSOP package :-/)

Farnell also doesn't stock them anymore. findchips.com lists several sources for the US but with a quick search I found no supplier in Germany.

well at voti.nl they still sell the desired TDA1543 for 2,50 Euro ... so where is the problem?

This DAC is also used in some external CD Player DAC Projects for it's good Sound also look on Ebay the sell DAC-Kits with this Chip for xxxx Euro Prices very heavy...

So I bougth some pieces from voti with no problem at all, fast shipping too...

And also very easy to connect, with other DA you need extra clock and parts and so on...

well at voti.nl they still sell the desired TDA1543 for 2,50 Euro ... so where is the problem?

no problem, just TK suggested that the sound quality of the PCM1725 was better.

@Puddingbrumsel - 4.20 is too expensive. Another possible source for a (european?) TDA bulk order: http://www.ts-audio.de/pr_NED0008303.html

S

some say sound quality of a TDA 1543 is better that a thing you should decide for yourself and your taste of how the sound is... ;-)

but an other thing is price ... look with one TDA 1543 or whatever DAC you choose you can connect TWO AVR's for Sound so the Calculation goes

better than any original SID Chip... the Cheapest SID Chip I can get here in Germany will be around 15 Euro for the old 6581

or 20 Euro for the newer 6581 R4AR or the 8580R5 ... for that money you can get a lot of AVR's and even the DAC Chips....

so stop crying about the DAC Price... and start building and using them  ;D

btw. the AVR mega 8515 used in here is about 1,70 Euro bei Reichelt.de and the 24MHz Oscillator is about 1,55 Euro

so for the Dualcore or Stereo SwinSID you need one DAC one 24MHz Oscillator and two AVR mega 8515 ... do the math...

hey crisp,

I didn't see anyone crying about prices?? I only said you can get the TDA cheaper than from Segor :). Actually I don't see the SwinSid as a replacement for a real Sid because I expect a broken and dirty sound from a real Sid while I'd spend even more than for a TDA pr PCM1725 to get a really good sound from a SwinSid - for me the whole Midibox experience is absolutely not about saving money ;)

S

Small update:

* added swinkels' C64/mb mod

* left TDA1543 in there for now

* size is now standard core size (holes match as well, well 3 of them at least)

* GND and +5V connections not shown (planes)

swin2.png

Could it be, that J2 isn't 1:1 compatible to MBHP_SID:J2 and MBHP_CORE:J10? (10 pins instead of 8 pins)

Yes that's correct. Two pins are unused, but 2x5 DIL headers/cables are just more common than 2x4 :-) This is not a "final" version, and what you just mentioned is one of the things I need to check and see if it needs adjustment.

Doesn't anything go unnoticed in here? ;)

How about using a half-can oscillator so you can move up IC4 and make room for a fourth screw hole?  C14 could be moved somewhere else if you don't want to be limited to a half-can.  Also, something I like doing with oscillator footprints is make them capable of accepting either a half-can or full-can.

Uh-oh, this is turning into a hijack. Could a mod please split the thread?

Davo: Among the things I plan to change is adding a second footprint for the oscillator. Since the small ones are not really available everywhere, I will not remove the big one.

Also a design suggestion for the DualCore PCB, I would put the 24MHz Oscillator as near as possible to the CLK in,

so you may flip the AVRs and put the Oscillator to the left bottom side and the TDA to the right up-side...

This would minimise the RF noise of the Oscillator ... I my desgin for the C64 I just put the Oscillator under the AVR but that reguires a thinner socket for the AVR  ;)

Just my thoughts ... Maybe you share your schematic file? For playing around with the Parts position.

Also a design suggestion for the DualCore PCB, I would put the 24MHz Oscillator as near as possible to the CLK in

It sorta is - the whole thing is relatively small, so ideal placement is not really possible with my inferior newb-eagle-skills.

so you may flip the AVRs and put the Oscillator to the left bottom side and the TDA to the right up-side...

Feel free to do that ;)

This would minimise the RF noise of the Oscillator ... I my desgin for the C64 I just put the Oscillator under the AVR but that reguires a thinner socket for the AVR  ;)

If I did this, bugfight would *whack* me. Works well for crystals, kinda hard to do with oscillators as they tend to have a higher profile.

Just my thoughts ... Maybe you share your schematic file? For playing around with the Parts position.

Just take the swinsid schem from swinkel's site and merge it with the mbSID schematic  and you're good to go.

Small update:

* added J14 connector to allow for 1:1 cable

* separated ground planes (for analog part)

* added alternative footprint for the oscillator

* canged footprints of the caps from 2.54 mm to 5.08 mm

* some clean up

swin3.png

Syracuse Semiconductor on ebay USA have two potential deals: 100 TDA1543 for $350, or 500 for $500.00.

Edit: Both Digikey and Mouser have the PCM1725, both at $1.82 for 100 quantity, but both are SOIC. Mm, 14-pins, too. Choices...

Sorry to post that here; move or delete if appropriate...if I had the money, I'd just buy it and pass around the goodness..

Edit to crisp's reply: You know how this goes; I'm hoping that someone will buy bulk for the inevitable 8 chip synth... The SwinSid sounds a bit less chunky than the SID, and has a silkier high end, perfect for polysynth applications. Congrats to the designers and developers!

• 1 month later...