Illuminated knobs (Waldorf)

Goblinz

I notice there is a thread on the bulk buy board for a bulk order of waldorf knobs for the MB-6582. I'm based in the Uk and have not been able to find a UK supplier of the waldorf knobs, or any other illuminated knobs. Can anybody point me in the right direction?

G

I got mine from ALBS, the last of their "translucent blue" kind. I think I might put my spares in the flea market soon (I'm using opaque red ones for future MIDIboxen).

ALBS still have a few "transparent clear" ones still in stock I think... they aren't making transparent ones anymore unless they get industrial orders (i.e. 5,000 pcs). I wouldn't bother them with a small order for 15 though, you might get ignored. Someone should be volunteering to run a European bulk order of the knobs anytime soon.

I got mine from ALBS, the last of their "translucent blue" kind. I think I might put my spares in the flea market soon (I'm using opaque red ones for future MIDIboxen).

ALBS still have a few "transparent clear" ones still in stock I think... they aren't making transparent ones anymore unless they get industrial orders (i.e. 5,000 pcs). I wouldn't bother them with a small order for 15 though, you might get ignored. Someone should be volunteering to run a European bulk order of the knobs anytime soon.

Has someone shown interest in starting a bulk order, If nothing else comes up then I would consider doing it myself but organising something like this from the UK may not be the best move as we seem to get screwed more than other European countries when it comes to postage and I probably wouldn't be able to sort it till late November.

Is it a case of only being able to get these things direct from ALBS? I couldn't find them on their website (ALBS.DE), is there any chance you could give me a pointer to the correct product list or maybe even just a part number.

G

Go to "Knobs - Rotary" in the stocklist.

Look for:

863129  Drehknopf DK16-190V3 A.6/4,5 AT=14 schwarz soft-grau 1677498

863120  Drehknopf DK16-190V3 A.6/4,5 AT=14 schwarz soft-rot 3092

863118  Drehknopf DK16-190V3 A.6/4,5 AT=14 schwarz soft-weiß

Great, thanks. Have you any idea if you usually need to get a group order of exactly the same part for these things, ie the same colour. I'll investigate postage costs, get in touch with albs and find out what their minimum order and price breaks are and posta  thread in bulk if it's faesible.

G

I was just told by ALBS they would prefer all the MB-6582 builders to go through bulk orders instead of each ordering 15 knobs. That's why I recommend people to start up bulk orders in their region. But if you've got a decent quantity of order (i.e. 50+ knobs total, of any kind) it should be OK I think.

I probably will be doing, as soon as I sort my paypal to transfer to my bank. I think it would be easier if we could all agree on getting the same colour, either white or grey would seem more suited to the sexy blue scheme of the current MB-6582. I won't write anything off though till I hear back from ALBS. If you're definitely wanting 50 then it looks like we won't have any problems filling the order. keep an eye out on the bulk order board and I'll stick a thread up when I get a reply from ALBS.

G

my first choice would be the clear blusih grey as pictured on the US bulk order thread.

but I think they are no longer available, so I guess grey plastic with the black rubber would be best (for me anyway).

and yes we should defo stick to one colour

I'm pretty sure a europe order would be well supported, let me know if I can help in any way.

I'm happy to organise it, I'm just waiting for information from ALBS. I don't want to start a bulk-buy thread untill I can say how much these things are going to cost each as I don't want people to back out of order because the quote from ALBS is a bit more than expected. I was thinking the white/black ones would be more suited as any colour LED would look good, however, In an earlier post Wilba mentioned that he thinks that 50 should be enough for a bulk order, so we hopefully we should have enough for an order of each colour. I need to investigate how much postage will be to other European countries for this as I understand that we don't get the best rates in the UK. Hold fire on this and keep an eye on the bulk order page, we'll sort something out between us.

G

I have made an error when looking at the stocklist (I don't speak German!). The knobs that I have listed are not transparent, they are opaque, I have found some transparent knobs and they have been added to the list. I will modify the original post and contact those who have already shown an interest via PM incase they want to change their order. The transparent knobs are in very short supply (150 clear ones and 31 red ones). Hopefully this won't effect anyone as there is no provision on the front panel (in the group buy) of the MB-6582 for LEDS to light these things.

G

Hopefully this won't effect anyone as there is no provision on the front panel (in the group buy) of the MB-6582 for LEDS to light these things.

Well... that's technically not true... I've left the holes for the encoder shafts at 14mm so you can still mount SMD LEDs to the encoder base and illuminate the knobs (like I did). While I don't think the end result is worth the effort, some people still want to learn from their own mistakes  ;D

FYI, where I blogged my own mistakes:

http://www.midibox.org/forum/index.php?topic=8389.msg63060#msg63060

Ooooh, interesting, I should really re-read the whole of that thread! It looks fiddly, but is probably worth it to have glowing knobs... There's only 150 of them in stock though so they will have to go to who-ever puts their name down first. That is if they're still in stock, I have my suspicions that the website isn't updated that often.

Shhhh.. don't tell the US bulk order thead  ;)

G

My advice is kinda opposite to W, but I do think he is right..... I saw his with the LEDs on, and I thought it was pretty damn cool. I also think they'd get pretty boring pretty fast, and if they're too bright they'll be a royal pain in the ***. If you plan on doing the lit knobs, I highly recommend putting some kind of pot on there to be able to fade them right out, or close to it.

My advice is kinda opposite to W, but I do think he is right..... I saw his with the LEDs on, and I thought it was pretty damn cool. I also think they'd get pretty boring pretty fast, and if they're too bright they'll be a royal pain in the ***. If you plan on doing the lit knobs, I highly recommend putting some kind of pot on there to be able to fade them right out, or close to it.

Sounds like a good idea to have a dimmer/switch for these. It would be good for when your showing off your new creation Do they do those slow colour changing LEDS in SMT :D

G