It's alive!! First pics...

creatorlars

I finally got everything into the case and fully tested.  (It survived a 2 hour rehearsal with absolutely no problems at all, earlier tonight.)  I'm slightly paranoid about potential screwups in the future due to shifting internal components (a couple boards are mounted with foam tape).  But I used good connectors throughout all the DIN/DOUT boards, and everythings pretty firmly packed in... so unless it falls off a table really hard or gets thrown into a wall, I'm probably okay. ;)

Backpanel shows 8x Gate output jacks and 8x CV output jacks.  The DB25 ports are for the 48 drumpulse outs (currently only the first 8 are enabled.)  It's got all four possible IIC boards and 8x 64k banksticks.

I'll have better pictures and some videos with this plus my analogue drum synth soon.

mastermind_thumb.jpg

mastermind_bck_thumb.jpg

1981_mastermind_jpg1be1da14738d849c150ba

1983_mastermind_bck_jpg5bff288c50552ae3a

Hah, cool!  I just ran into some of that Metasonix stuff the other night, very cool.

Mainly I was inspired by old SUNN amplifier designs.  I own a Beta Lead, looks like this:

http://sunn.ampage.org/site/museum/betalead/sbl-front.jpg

And old KORGs, I have one of these...

http://www.sequencer.de/pix/korg/M500micropreset_big.jpg

And of course the Roland Juno, TR-808, CR78, etc...

...and dystopian/post-apocalyptic/cyberpunk novels and games and movies of all kinds.

I really like old MOOG modular systems too, but I wanted to add some color to that look.

hey great work! Tell us about the extra buttons please

I laid this out a few different ways, but ended up not deviating much from TK's original layout.  The panel was drilled and cut by hand with a step bit and a jigsaw.  A few holes ended up being slightly off center.  I should have used a drill press and drilled pilot holes.  Still, with the screenprinting being with correct dimensions, it offsets the visual impairment of a few of the off-center buttons

Below the rotary knobs & GP buttons, the layout and buttons are the same.

The 14 buttons on the top left are vertical rows for Track, Track Group, Layer, and Trigger Layer.

the 8 button group below those are the buttons from TK's layout, plus one for Step A/B.

So it has all 8 additional buttons/LEDs (except the ones for Play/Pause, etc.)

I may swap out the caps on the Play/Stop/Pause buttons to green and red, sometimes it's hard to instantly see them. 

I forgot about adding in a Footswitch Play/Stop control until after I was done with the backpanel, so I'm not worrying about it for now.  I may just build a 4-6 button footswitch controller to send the SEQ play/stop data as well as be programmable to do other things as well. 

I never could get J5 gates 1-5 working from the core, so right now only 1 & 2 (from AOUT) and 6-8 (from core) work, leaving 3 of those jacks dead.  :(  I'd really like to fix that at some point.  Someone mentioned that they could have been disabled from a previous software upload, that the SEQ software didn't overwrite... but the only app I've had on this PIC besides SEQ3.2 was the "change_id" app.

I never could get J5 gates 1-5 working from the core, so right now only 1 & 2 (from AOUT) and 6-8 (from core) work, leaving 3 of those jacks dead.  :(  I'd really like to fix that at some point.  Someone mentioned that they could have been disabled from a previous software upload, that the SEQ software didn't overwrite... but the only app I've had on this PIC besides SEQ3.2 was the "change_id" app.

Ooops! Thanks for the input, it's a programming error in j5_dout.inc

You need to replace

;; disable the ADC which allocates the analog pins
        movlw   0x07
        movwf   ADCON1
[/code] by:
[code]
        ;; disable the ADC which allocates the analog pins
#if PIC_DERIVATIVE_NEW_ADC == 0 ; PIC18F452
        movlw   0x07
#else
        movlw   0x0f            ; all newer PIC18F derivatives (like PIC18F4685)
#endif
        movwf   ADCON1

It will be fixed in the next release

Best Regards, Thorsten.