Chat Room

Shadyman

Not to put off the current chat room, but it would be a lot easier (for me, at least) to be able to connect with IRC.

Here are some reasons, from my point of view:

• Leaving a window open just to have chat is kind of a pain, and also a hog
  • There's no visual notification of a new message, only sound. (I have sounds turned off so as not to disturb others)
  • I already have an IRC app running (Many people will have [Windows] MIRC, Trillian, Pidgin, etc, or [linux] xIRC, Kopete, Pidgin, etc)
  • You can get IRC clients for many different platforms

We could always use PJIRC (http://www.pjirc.com/main.php) for the "Chat" page, which would allow us to connect by way of other applications, too  ;D

Just a suggestion  ;D

--Shadyman

eemm

all i can say is that human beings are not always completely coherent with themselves and what they say and like..

i mean here we like straight well done electronic things, MIOS improved for low latency, modular systems and so on..

well the chat is the chat is where you go and relax after a soldering session or even chat while soldering, where you laugh for stupid jokes and discover new things, it can get harsh from time to time but there is usually a cool atmosphere and respect.

Now I (we?) got used to it, like i need to be flushed from time to time, and believe me, as a linux user i hate flash! But i got used to it, it s my beloved flushy chat!

We had to move to an IRC channel when the server went down, and it was better, it worked better but...

Anyway i am not against IRC we could start a poll and see what people think about it..

Simone

Before the Flash chat was introduced, I never knew (or bothered to find out) how to connect to the existing #midibox IRC channel, which had been around for years. When the flash-based chat was added, I started using it because it was so easy to access. I am sure a lot of people new to MIDIbox also try it out, so I'm sure it gets more people in there than #midibox ever did.

If you can find a Flash-based chat that interfaces to IRC that would be ideal - I'm voting for the current Flash-based chat purely because it's there, within the browser, easy for everyone to find and use.

Not to put off the current chat room, but it would be a lot easier (for me, at least) to be able to connect with IRC.

Heya. The current chat implementation is a solution to problems with using IRC, sorry.

If it helps:

1) Use a tabbed browser

2) The icon flashes

3) Me too

4) Isn't it the same for flash?

@wilba: FWIW you can use chatzilla as an IRC client within FF, so that helps from your angle... Not sure about other browsers though...

I'm a big fan of IRC and I can understand how people hate to be flushed all the time. Besides, as midiboxers we tend to like custom stuff - IRC is more customizable than good old flushy. I'd love to see the chat go "back" to IRC, BUT... I don't think SmashTV or Twin-X have the time to browse all day to hunt down a decent IRC client that doesn't use Java, doesn't crash, ...

So, shadyman, go find (program) one, that'll do the job and has severe advantages over good old flushy, test it thoroughly and write a rather detailed description in this thread and I think you might just get a different kind of response ;-)

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

The decision against IRC was made a long time before this poll.

Heya. The current chat implementation is a solution to problems with using IRC, sorry.

Everyone involved is well aware of people's (often uninformed) opinions, and they are always taken into account; so no amount of polls, nagging, begging, suggesting, asking, or otherwise discussing IRC vs flashchat vs whatever, will change the situation any. Maybe in future there will be an IRC chat, maybe flashy will return, maybe we will chat via carrier pigeon, maybe not :)

Patience is a virtue :)

The decision against IRC was made a long time before this poll.

Everyone involved is well aware of people's (often uninformed) opinions, and they are always taken into account; so no amount of polls, nagging, begging, suggesting, asking, or otherwise discussing IRC vs flashchat vs whatever, will change the situation any. Maybe in future there will be an IRC chat, maybe flashy will return, maybe we will chat via carrier pigeon, maybe not :)

Patience is a virtue :)

To add to that. There's still the #midibox channel on Efnet.org. My work proxie blocks it so i'm guessing a few people will be in the same boat. I connected last night and think the room was full off just bots.

G

Yes, but same trouble here as before. Sometimes the forum is just unavailable, e.g. last night around 23:00 CET. I'd prefer to have the forum always online over having a chat, honestly, if it was to be chosen between the two.

Best regards, ilmenator

Updates are now installed automagically every day 23:00 cet.

Forum can be offline sometimes.

The chat is not a hey lets wait for several hours.

It flushes it records pretty fast so you can't read back very far. I do not see the use of sitting there so long if your not intending to join the discussion. But hey who am i to tell you ;)

Go sit if you like but no guarantees ok!!!

• 3 weeks later...