Amazing Hang Drum video

Sasha

I must share this with you...

I am totally blown away by this hang drum virtuoso and his tune. Absolutely beautiful!!! :)

I must admit I never seen this instrument before. I never liked pan drum sound very much, or i never liked those calypso melodies but this thing...  :-X

I would love to see this guy live.

Not seen the video as I'm at work, but these drums are amazing. I've seen a few people with them over the years at various festivals. I play the djembe and they make a great melodic accompliment over the top. They're quite expensive though. They also look like flying saucers.

G

The bit I enjoyed the most was spotting that this guy genuinely has egg boxes stuck to his wall!!!

It is very common DIY way of dumping the practice rooms walls, at least in my country.

I've never heard of this instrument though, are they called Hang Drums??

Yes, that is real name. People are also making it DIY way out of gas tanks. Sounds close but not the same. I believe proper tuning is not an easy task. I`ve seen how professionals doing it with pan drum.

EDIT:DIY Page about propane hang drum: http://www.ehhs.cmich.edu/~dhavlena/for-webpage-lp-hang.htm

Unfortunately, I now must make one.

I wanted to make one myself, but in my country we use different kind of gas tank. It`s diameter is smaller and it has stand welded onto bottom. At first I thought it can be made out of barbecue top part as hang drum reminded me alot of it but I`m not sure. Maybe is just important that individual cutout pieces are right size.

*SLP has just ordered the album

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="

name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

.. he s not that good, it s the eggs cases on the wall making the sound!!  ;D

a few years ago i was walking in the mirador de san nicolas in granada when i got struck by the beauty of sound of the hang.. amazing stuff

simone

I wonder how many people that advocate the use of egg boxes actually have any scientific reasoning for doing so?? I don't want to sound presumptuous, but the one thing I did learn in my Music Tech degree, was that egg boxes really, really suck for any sort of sound damping or diffusion. Their coefficient of absorption is too low to be an insulator, and the're not dense enough to diffuse anything but the highest of high frequencies.

That said, they are probably better than nothing at all on a plastered wall, but even a thin carpet would be a lot better.

*Jaicen dismounts lofty steed...

That said, they are probably better than nothing at all on a plastered wall, but even a thin carpet would be a lot better.

just enough so you don`t get annoying reverb.

Exactly. If you are teenager practicing in some atomic shelter or basement what else is better for the price. Sure, carpets are lot better but how many egg boxes you can actually buy for 1 square meter of carpet? Probably enough to dump whole practice room. That is the point. I don`t say Manu Delago is some poor teenager that cannot afford real practice room, but reason why people are using these egg boxes is obvious. And, you don`t need Music Tech degree to figure it out.  ;)

My point was that they provide so little damping, it's not really worth the effort of gluing them to the damn walls!! Any thin cardboard will provide the same level of damping if fixed to the wall with a small airgap of say 25mm. Even then, the damping will only really be apparent for frequencies of above 10kHz.

Jaicen is onto something, but I didn't want to be the first. ;)

In a small room, you are better off going after the low-bass overhang resonances. Especially if you make music which is supposed to have a fair bit of bass in it. These resonances will fool you into thinking your track is seriously rockin, and then when you play it in the real world, it will suck. Your best hope to remove these resonances is through absorbing them, not reflecting them. The easiest way to do this is with a floating room, with airgap walls, ceiling, floor. (No really, it is the easiest way, to actually do it...)

I seriously believe that the main reason people use egg containers is because they seem to look the part. They bear a passing resemblance to anechoic foam. They don't work anywhere near as well.

And yes, I have tried it. At the end of high school I converted an old shed into a rehearsal studio. We stuffed the walls with scrunched up newspaper, nailed 9mm plywood to the studs, stapled foam underlay to that, and finally attached carpet on top of the underlay. We also attached foam underlay and egg cartons to the ceiling. Total outer thickness (so not including the newspaper, but including the ply) was about 40mm!!

The end result? A slightly smaller room  ::)  that passed almost all of the low bass through, apart from the stuff which reflected back into the room. - And the neighbours still complained.