GM5: Least-cost USB-MIDI Interface Chip for 4.50 EUR

TK.

Thanks for the update TK.

Im afraid i broke the chain by putting my name down for 2 of these chips, anymore would be a waste for me and im on a strict budget.

Feels strange signing up for a bulk order with the King of the community,

sometimes i forget youre human too.  ;)

• Replies 732
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Addendum: you are allowed to re-enter the quantity of chips you are planning to buy to give over people the possibility to join the first batch order. Please only take care, that the n x 250 pieces criteria is fullfilled

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Ok ok :-)

6 more for me . . . ;-)

Sounds like a promising chip, for a great price. I'm interested in making at least one stand alone PC midi interface out of one of these. My main DAW currently doesn't have one. Hope it works out.

Is anyone else planning on using these chips for standard PC midi interfaces?

Hehe, I think most of the ppl here want build gigantic midipatchbays of it :)

ilmenator does the math:

5 physical MIDI I/Os  X  10 chips  =  ... drool!!

I can finally buy/build more MIDI gear. My wife is going to hate you, TK  ;D

Best regards, ilmenator

Update: Ploytek will also provide PCBs for 2.50 EUR pp.! They are prepared for one MIDI In and one MIDI Out Socket, the remaining 4 IOs are available on junctions, and can be directly connected to MBHP_COREs, or alternatively to external MIDI IO sockets (+ optocouplers)

Please add the desired PCB quantity to the third column

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Update: Ploytek will also provide PCBs for 2.50 EUR pp.!

Is there a picture/schem or anything like that?

Scratch that, found it on their site.

I must say, I'd rather have a pcb with all 5 IOs on it as DIN sockets, but I guess that's nothing a small extra board can't fix ;) It is more versatile that way for sure...

I also took a look at their website. I wonder if the custom driver that improves performance and provides multi-client access is to be purchased separately? Or is this part of the chip/board purchase and downloadable for free?

Best regards, ilmenator

...Or is this part of the chip/board purchase and downloadable for free?

Good question. Hopefully, the USB MIDI driver would not cost as much as their USB ASIO audio driver. If access to the driver comes with the chip purchase, that would be great.

Is there a picture/schem or anything like that?

Scratch that, found it on their site.

Did you find a schematic, or are you refering to the photo of the MIDI interface on their homepage? A reference schematic/datasheet for their chip would be handy.

Optimized Windows Driver: it's bundled with the firmware and our vendor ID. We don't need to pay extra money for it.

In other words: for us it's free! :)

Schematic: more patience please! I've already access to the schematic, but it's confidential. I already got the permission to publish an own schematic, but I won't do this before I tested the current chip configuration.

I will get the evaluation board in 1-2 days, and a schematic can be expected this weekend.

Don't worry, it's a very simple circuit, I just don't want to break the rules!

However, the cheapest solution is to re-use the Ploytec PCB, and to add the MIDI IOs externally (e.g. soldered on a veroboard) if required. The MIDI I/O sockets are not required if you connect the GM5 IOs directly to the MIDIbox Link port J11 of your core modules. If somebody prefers an individual solution, he will get all sources which are required to layout the board... soon!

Best Regards, Thorsten.

...Schematic: more patience please!...

Sorry, didn't mean to rush things. Of course the circuit would be simple, but it is handy to have the datasheet.

I'll definitely be making my own PCB for 5 bank midi interface, probably rack mounted. If I can get around to it, I may incorporate a fixed midimerger, and a switchable midimon.

Looking forward to it.  :)

Added two boards to be safe and fixed (I hope ;D) the PCB total.

How impossible do you guys think a homebrew PCB will be for that chip? (I'm pretty good with toner transfer, but don't remember if I've done an SMD yet)

Thanks, and looking forward to this!

George

PS- I didn't realize those were the USB-Audio guys.

hi guys,

I am joining in quite late, but placed my order of 10 chips (I will retire in 22 years and look forward to build many nice MB's then...)

regarding the PCB's: I assume we still has to solder the chip to the PCB ourselfs (shiver! fright! panic! SMD!!!) or would it be possible to order the PCB with the chips already soldered on it (very faint hope....).

thanks for the great group-experience,

karl.