TheRainbow - Midibox and RGB Led Keyboard

julienvoirin

BTW, what inspire you "Chop shop MIDI" ?

Chop shop MIDI? :)

To say something unoriginal... Inspiration is all around us.  :P  I would lie if I say I get struck of inspiration by looking at birds and flowers. :) But, there is a lot of well designed technical stuff that are inspiring to me.

Hah... I saw that APC and immediately thought "JV is gonna be gutted". I know how you feel man, it's tough when you pour so much effort into a project, only to be "beaten" by someone else.

Soldier on though - you will probably take some hints of 'what not to do' from this. Sometimes the early bird gets the worm.... so it's good not to be first (the worm).

in fact julien's one will be better than an akai stuff ..

it remains me when i bought the s5000 just released and waited at least one year to have a correct os ...2 years after usb..

...the factory patches in my novation sl remote are not well assigned for plugs ...!

midibox...home made ..home think ...nothing to compare

Maybe a group bulk order in next weeks

Yes, please!

unfortunatly, i ve been getting a new job (i am not excited about, but i am obliged),  and i am not sure to be able to provide such a bulk order

The fastest is to get Sparkfun PCB, but this isn't convenient as you need lots of wires between SPark PCB and DIN/DOUT. It is heavy (weight talk) and a source for errors, as I have been noticing it.

Can a midi signal be converted to a keyboard signal through the liveAPI?
i haven't been digging enough into Live API. My concept was based on the old way of working of Live : when a clip is launched it sends a midi note ON event. The velocity tells if it is a loop or a single shot.

IMO Live api is very great but will be closed. Moreover, it is written that Ableton won't support questions relative to LIVE API. And it seems it won't be supported in LIVE 8 (but i am not 100% sure about).

In the videos you ve seen, I am using live in a special manner : the Protools 6 method (midi and AUX tracks); Track midi 1 is only midi (IN and OUT), whereas track Midi 2 is plugged to track 1 for its input and has an AudioUnit in output for producing the sounds. This method allows you to get a midi feedback (what I want  !) and a tone.

Some buttons of the Rainbow are assigned to clip, they are responsive to midi feedback concerning the clips. It was at the beginning.

Currently I am focused on the sequencer aspect of the rainbow, and I am trying to develop an MLR into the midibox.

LiveAPI will be the next step.

If you want to get more in terms of "midi controller" you can have a look in "la boite à boutons" i did 1,5 years ago. It is a universal midi keybaord 8x8, which send note ON/OFF, control change, program changes, and display on a LCD received midi events. What interest me today is "midi feedback", through LEDs.

julien's one will be better than an akai stuff ..

I don't know.

julien,

if you need help with the liveapi stuff, let me know.  perhaps by then i'll have my liveapi work done and you can just use that, since it'll be easy to work with.

ableton won't support liveapi, but i don't think it's going away.  for one, what does the akai box use?  since max for live isn't required to use it, there has to be something available.  it's behavior looks a lot like the code i've already written:

i have functions written for midibox (no modification of my live api work is required, just load it) that can do the following related to clips:

check to see if a clip exists on a slot

automatically notify the midibox if a new clip is inserted into a track, with data on which track and which slot

launch or stop a clip

notify the midibox of the new clip state once launched or stopped, even if you did it with the mouse

request the name of a clip and send it to the midibox via sysex

notify the midibox when a clip name has changed

turn on "loop" for a clip

i think there's more but i can't remember at this moment, but from what i've read, this is what you need to get started.

no support by ableton doesn't mean it's going away.  mackie protocol, and all of those other midi remote scripts you see in your live dir have to continue to be supported.  this is simply liveapi.  if it changes, i think the liveapi community will figure it out.

the reason i haven't released the code yet is just because there's a few tweaks i want to do yet.  well, more than tweaks.  i had considered waiting for mios32/osc, but i've decided to go ahead with what i've made so far using midi.

i think this afternoon i'll have an opportunity to get some more work done.  the important things i want to accomplish is finish about 3-4 more functions, then do a complete rewrite of the midibox code and the live api code to make it more efficient and readable.  also, currently the midibox listens to everything i've coded, and i'm going to change that so the user has the ability to turn on or off whatever listeners they want.  there's just too much midi traffic right now and the user will never use it all at once.  there's a lot of functions available.

ultra

• 3 weeks later...

no need to develop driver ! :P

http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/product_info.php?products_id=9022

so thin keyboard, can't wait 8)

Sounds like great news.

So it should be possible to reprogram/interface these babies with CORE STM32 via SPI BUS right ? No need to design our own PCB any more ? And with 512 bit possible colours (drool). Am I right here ?

P.S. Is any of you saprkfun guys working on a midibox based "thingonome" ? Because this is quite a coincidence ;).

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Julien,

http://www.hispasonic.com/comunidad/download.php?id=50968&mode=view

I posted it six months before APC40 (and dreaming about it since... I don't remember when this idea "come" to my head).

I'm only a muscian with ideas without few electronic (hacking , building from scratch) skills and without programming (excel could be useful? xD) skills neither.

Everyone of us take differents approarches about the same thing: control Live Grid.

For me these faders are at the "perfect" distance because I need them for crab or transformer turntablist techniques but I need them a bit strongest (not these crappy Akai stuff).

I have some ideas about new HUI that will be cool for share with these opensource community but I'm afraid to post them and Akai or some other corps copy our ideas (and sell them without nothing for us like thanks or piece of cake xDDD)

What do we could do?

I have some ideas about new HUI that will be cool for share with these opensource community but I'm afraid to post them and Akai or some other corps copy our ideas (and sell them without nothing for us like thanks or piece of cake xDDD)

What do we could do?

i would buy a security vault, hire a private guard, brick the entrance and electroshock myself to forget everything

i don't think the folks at akai, ableton, or wherever are really browsing our forums to find something marketable.  and if they are, oh well.  something like a colored grid is a fairly obvious solution for handling clips in live.  julien i'm not taking anything away from what you're doing, i think it's awesome.  but you created this design because it makes sense, right?  well that's why akai made their new controller.

the big difference is that you will be able to make yours do exactly what you want, and akai has to build it for everybody.  therefore theirs is generic, and yours is not.  i like to see commercial controllers similar to what i'm doing because i can look at them and see if i left anything out.  i can also commend myself when i've thought of something they've overlooked.

muso i think you should post your controller design and let other users give feedback, ideas, and expand on it like we always have done.  who really cares a commercial company comes along and makes something similar?  how does it affect you?  to me, the only concern i have is them taking away the tools we use to control their programs (like liveapi), and i don't think that's going to happen.

i would buy a security vault, hire a private guard, brick the entrance and electroshock myself to forget everything

Mega LOL !!!  :D :D :D

by the way i do not care that Akai or Ableton watch us ;)

cause Native Instruments did the stuff i need : Maschine

http://www.native-instruments.com/newreleases/

with Bodzin und Huntemann samples ! yeahh :)

I was kidding guys but I focused all my efforts on HUI developing (I leave all my life becoming a absolutly hippie geek).

I want to share you but some many ideas (common sense for us because we have the mind background) are becoming real and I didn't want to get some cash but I didn't want to get this cash to coorps, sorry.

If NI or other companys didn't look at ucapps... why about Xone?

For me this is not a hobbie, actually is the 90% of my life friends. I'm changing all of my life focusing all my love to "old hobbie" becoming my leav-motif.

Don't laugh at me (it is irrelevant for me xD)

:)

PD: my name is Mudo = Mute person in spanish

Whatever, i just find it childish ok sorry let s say "odd" to say "I have great ideas but i won t share them, whatever the reason is.

At this point i would ask you, will you share you new MIDIBox based project? Cause if not i am not willing to help you, nor will be most of the community.

I do believe that all of the MIDI controllers company have an eye on MIDIBox, so what?

Again, whatever do what you please and be welcome.

Simone

If you really think you've got some ground-breaking idea which you'd like to keep secret because it could be taken by commercial companies, but would like some help, come and chat with me. We'll see where it goes from there.

Keep in mind, once you build it, it will have to be open-sourced, and obviously it will be shared with the rest of he community, so others could still copy your idea.

"I do believe that all of the MIDI controllers company have an eye on MIDIBox"

i'm agree but but  but

why a nord lead 1 has 4 polyphony ? they don't want to spend maybe 40usd for another chip because they'll have to sell 400usd more ...as  commercial stategy.

why the ferrari-look-machines have a citroen 2cv engine ?

maybe isn't not the right answer but i think a good idea can be share if it's too expensive for the companies...if not ...the chat as stryd told

the fact is that we companies take just a good idea to make shit  :P

last OS development before moving to MIOS 32

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6d9GapXU67c

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

4colors_RGB_blm_example_v1_8.zip

4colors_RGB_blm_example_v1_8.zip

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi guys,

Sorry about my delaying... I was wondering the option of becoming electronic luthier with midiBox hardware and (of course) share my project ideas with community (there is any kind of cc license which needs "aprovation"? I will get these only for DIY and schools or so on...) but it seems better idea focused into arduino platform (it isn't TK?)

I will be very happy when you release your stm32 and maybe I will do some project for myself but for my electronic business I will use arduino and other platforms without legal issues.

I will get feedback of my success.

:)