MBSID V2 CC Layer

TK.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great work TK!

Any thoughts on implementing CCs for the other engines? I was thinking it would be cool to have similar controls across the different engines share the same CCs, wherever possible- so, for example, filter Cuttoff and Resonance would use CC#4 and 5 on the Lead, Bassline and SuperPoly engines. This would make producing editing templates for the controls easier and more intuitive.

What do you think?

a|x

Great work on the CC implementation TK! I've just been experimenting with it, and attempting to setup a template on my Novation XStation controller.

Voice 1/2/3 Waveform                         |   0-15: val |
     |     |   Bit 0: Triangle                            |             |
     |     |   Bit 1: Saw                                 |             |
     |     |   Bit 2: Pulse                               |             |
     |     |   Bit 3: Noise (disables all other waveforms)|             |
     |     |   Bit 4: Disable Voice                       |             |
     |     |   Bit 5: Sync                                |             |
     |     |   Bit 6: Ringmodulator                       |             |
     |     | Example: 02h = 2 = Saw                       |             |
     |     | Example: 05h = 5 = Triangle & Pulse          |             |
     |     | Example: 21h = 33 = Triangle & Sync        

I must admit to being a bit confused as to how to control the parameter above (and a few others that work in a similar way) from a MIDI controller, though. Unless I'm completely misinterpreting, there doesn't seem to be a sane way to setup a knob or incrementing button type control to send out the appropriate data. Wouldn't it be easier just to divide the 0 > 127 range into (in this case) 7 regions, so that a value of 0 would give a Triangle wave, 18 would give a Saw wave, etc. That way, it would be possible to setup a control with an appropriate increment step (if it was a button), or if it was a slider or rotary control, just have to have it switch waveforms in a logical way so that at one end of the control's movement, you'd get the first option, and at the other extreme, you'd get the last option. Or is this already possible, and I'm missing something obvious?

Cheers,

a|x

7 Regions wouldn't allow you to select multiple waveforms....

Ah, true. Hmmmm.. I guess there's no way to make this work in a logical way with my controller, in that case. I guess the best way to do it would be with 7 separate buttons. Unfortunately, the XStation doesn't have enough buttons for that.

a|x

HI all,after first try of the V2.0_rc28 today .. ???.it seems the control via cc not working..my try is with a EDIROL sl 25 and a P3..a simple cc "7 who works perfectly on a jd 990 or a clavia..give me no result (only cc)on my mb sid with upgrad...where my mistake(s) ? i use only lead engine patch........

7 bits is a standard?...Best regards

Hi,i 've tried lots of cc tonight...good work..example:change the waveform of vco...cc 20 and play with value 0-15...i 've created amazing patterns...portamento works fine too...TK, is the value 0 on the rate(intensity) is for Portamento on/off? not as usual for me,i've used the FIP (Filter Interpolation) a good tool...:) others news soon Cheers

Nice.....thanks...i recompil and try it..after lot's of use and fun...a good "think"thing could be a real volume control,hardware? soft?(is it possible on next update to have a special encoder call volume)i talk about simple surface...on the din x4 there is the place for ....Best regards ;)

The SID volume has only 4bit resolution, and you will notice additional background noise once you lower it.

However, you can control volume from a Knob function (-> Knob Encoder Layer). Just assign parameter #1 to it and you are done.

It's even part of the modulation matrix.

But due to the reduced resolution and s/n issue, I would propose to use an external analog pot instead - or a digitally controlled VCA, which can be accessed (and modulated) from an AOUT module.

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Ok...the external analog pot seems to be a good choice..if someone have a adapted shematic for a stereo control volumel..welcome. :-[.

Best regards

8 AOUT values and 8 switch settings are stored in the patch.

In addition, the "V2A" option allows you to route volume directly to an AOUT. This is especially useful for AM effects (Volume is part of the modulation matrix)

Best Regards, Thorsten.

• 5 months later...

The CC implementation is great, i had fun using Fruity's midi out plugin to play with my sid.

I would really love to be able to control midibox sid with my Novation KS4 keyboard, without having it connected to a computer.

Unfotunately i cannot change the CC and NRPN numbers on this controller,

so i would like to change the MbSID paramater chart for my own needs.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Is it a case of simply editing sid_cc_table.inc for the CC numbers?

And which file would i edit to change the number of the NRPN's?

Also if anyone can recommend a better VST than fruity's midi out, to forward CC and NRPN changes, that would be great.

I was thinking of making a simple VST for controlling the SID while we wait for the other one to be finished for V2.

Using something like synthmaker, or synthedit.

I can only speak about Synthedit, but i can assure you that it's no good for making a VST-controller the size of what is needed to control MB-SID - there are so many limitations and annoying MIDI specs it abides to. It could be done surely, but it will need some serious workarounds to work properly (to mention one, the lame ancient MIDI-spec that makes CC33-63 work as finecontrol of CC1-32 is a real pita!)

Fruity has a lovely alternative to 'MIDI out' which is called 'Dashboard' and works just like 'studioware' or thatsitcalled in Cakewalk / 'Device panel' in Cubase. 'Dashboard' allows you to design a custom controlpanel with knobs, buttons, dropdowns and the likes - only drawback is that it is only useable inside Fruity whereas a VST would be host-independent!!

I'm a Synthedit and Fruity user myself, so either way i'm really interested to see what you come up with :) i would even participate if you're up for a joint venture!

I'm a Synthedit and Fruity user myself, so either way i'm really interested to see what you come up with :) i would even participate if you're up for a joint venture!

Have you tried Synthmaker in FL? It may be a good option. The Dashboards in FL are being replaced by FL Synthmaker. I'm not sure if they are being dropped completely with the release of FL 9, which is in about a week, but it's possible. With FL synthmaker it's only possible to export FL plugins rather than VSTs, but If someone is willing to do the leg work I have a standalone copy of Synthmaker and would gladly export a dashboard to VST to post here.

By the way, are you two on the Image-Line forums?

I love FL Studio (I'm on the FL forum VERY rarely though).  A Synthedit/synthmaker plug would be interesting.  I've not tried the JSynthLib editor so I'm not sure how easy it would be to use it to control the MB-SID.

You could try using MIDI Yoke to have multiple in/out to the MB-SID so you could use the JSynthLib editor to tweak parameters while playing notes from a MIDI Out in FL.  I use a similar scheme with my Mopho and it works, but not nearly as nice as an integrated VST of course.