Hey peeps... Building my first MBSid...

Shy-Guy

Hey peeps,

Really loving what you guys are doing and i want to get involved with making a MidiBox Sid.

So i was wondering if you guys can help a newbie out with some questions...

1. I want to keep my controller simple so would it be good to buy the Commodore 64 and just rebuild it into the MidiBox or is that going to be too complicated? The main thing for my first go is i don't want to have to do too much construction. So either go for something like:

http://www.midibox.org/midibox_gallery/klingen1.jpg

or

http://www.midibox.org/midibox_gallery/paul1.jpg

What do you think?

2. I'm guessing I'm going to need to buy a 64 anyway as I'm going to need the SID chip? or are there full construction kits with everything i'll need to build the whole thing including the front panel? If so do you have any links and prices?

3. I'm not an electrician or great at electronics but i can solder components so i should be able to get by right?

Also things will have to be explained really simple as yeah.... I'm a bit of a dummy when it comes to all this. But as i say i really like what you guys are doing and i wanna try and get involved :)

I've been reading through http://www.uCApps.de/  But getting quite lost due to the amount of pages and lack of knowledge on the whole thing so yeah any of you guys help would be mucho appreciated!

Thanks,

G

Welcome!

1 - they are at pretty opposite ends of the construction difficulty spectrum.. you have to choose that one...

2 - You don't 'need' a C64.. the power supply could be handy (Assuming it works)

Search for "Wilba 6582 Sale" and behold the goodness that he's offering... be quick tho!

3- There are people here who had never even soldered before taking on a SID project.. so, I recon you are OVER qualified.

All the answers are out there, and pretty well documented, you'll just have to take your time reading everything about DOUT's and DIN's and CORES and stuff like that..

Another option is to consider making a MB-6582 which can take up to 8 SID's..

Even tho this sounds rather complicated, the actual construction is pretty easy and well documented, you will need to self source a few (easy to get) parts.

The only present headache for most of the MB-6582 builders is waiting on 'cheap' face panels.. 

Best of Luck!

Regards

Mike

Welcome!

1 - they are at pretty opposite ends of the construction difficulty spectrum.. you have to choose that one...

2 - You don't 'need' a C64.. the power supply could be handy (Assuming it works)

Search for "Wilba 6582 Sale" and behold the goodness that he's offering... be quick tho!

3- There are people here who had never even soldered before taking on a SID project.. so, I recon you are OVER qualified.

All the answers are out there, and pretty well documented, you'll just have to take your time reading everything about DOUT's and DIN's and CORES and stuff like that..

Another option is to consider making a MB-6582 which can take up to 8 SID's..

Even tho this sounds rather complicated, the actual construction is pretty easy and well documented, you will need to self source a few (easy to get) parts.

The only present headache for most of the MB-6582 builders is waiting on 'cheap' face panels.. 

Best of Luck!

Regards

Mike

Thanks for your reply Mike!

Right decision time.... I'm gonna go for the C64 design.... so that means i am going to have to get a C64 now yeah?

What's the difference between having 8 SIDS and 1/2 SIDS?

Sorry for the stupid questions but hey I'm new! :)

Thanks!

8 Sids = 8 x the fun!

the MB-6582 can take up to 8 Sids, and can run them all in fancy ways.. you could have 4 stereo monosynths.. or one 4 voice poly synth.. or drums.. or 303 emulators.. ra ra ra.. heaps.

I'd seriously consider checking out the MB-6582 PCB's & Kits from Smash..  It's a nice and simple solution IMHO.

http://www.avishowtech.com/mbhp/buy.html

you could then buy the base board kit, and some SID's off wilba, and then make your own control surface. (Thats what I did)

http://www.midibox.org/forum/index.php/topic,12413.90.html

Again.. read read read... then read some more..

Regards

Mike

A little clarification:

The mb6582 is Wilba's neat implementation of a 8x MIDIBox SID v2. That means it's basically 4 core modules, 8 SID modules and the DIN and DOUT modules combined on one PCB. Everything it can do can be done using single modules as well, it's "just" a really simple and nice way to get there ;)

Difference between 1/2 SID: One SID chip is obviously going to give you a mono synth. 2 SIDs give you either two independet mono synths (if you use one core per SID) or a stereo synth (one core -> 2 sid modules).

Difference between 1/2 or 8 SIDs: You get 8 SIDs means you have either 8 individual mono synths (if you use 8 cores)  or 4 stereo synths (which is what the mb6582 is). Obviously more SIDs means more freedom and options when it comes to making patches. Also, with more SIDs you have more polyphony in "SuperPoly" mode.

Again.. read read read... then read some more..

...and when you're done with that - read some more :D All the info is there for you, you just need to do lotsa reading before the actual fun ;)

I soldered a few boards and got my skill level to a point i was happy with

Then started an MB6582 board and got carried away and started rushing along

Didn't read the screen print properly on the board and totally screwed that build up

So yeah read read read uCapps and then when your stuff arrives from Smash read read read uCapps again and then while your building read read read uCapps and the screenprint on the board

Take your time and get into a slow but steady groove of checking as you go and you will be fine

Flexi

If you want the easiest project, then go for the mb-6582.

Wilba designed 2 all-in-one pcbs - the base pcb, and the control surface pcb as shown in this pic:

fetch.php?w=&h=&cache=cache&media=http%3A%2F%2Ffarm4.static.flickr.com%2F3177%2F2544929793_8a7743c953.jpg

This requires far less wiring, and removes the need of getting your own front panel made,

provided you wait for Doug to make them, and all goes ahead as planned.

(Not to mention, buying a c64 just to use its case)

If you still want to go for a c64 case style MIDIbox, then you should still consider buying Wilbas Base PCB,

and base parts kit (which you can buy from Smash TV), so there will be less wiring to do for core, sid, input, output modules, psu etc...

You will then end up with something like Thorsten's...

midibox_sid_v2_inside.jpg

Subatomic built one in that style also, and has really helpful, in-depth information of the whole build process on his blog.

Check that one out here:

http://www.midibox.org/forum/index.php/topic,11530.msg91797.html

• 1 month later...

First of all, from what I know it's good message board etiquette to bump old relevant threads instead of creating new ones.  That's fine here, right?

Second, wow, is this really the easiest SID project to start out on?  I remember seeing this a month ago when I was first lurking around, and thinking that an 8-SID module was huge!

I also remember reading somewhere that I can basically build this same module even if I only have four SID chips.  I can't remember where I read that, but is it true?

What do you guys think - build a single core and single SID module, or just go for this?

IM(not so)HO building a single core and single sid without any control surface (an LCD is a good idea though) to get started is certainly a good thing. It's less to mess up, less money you shred if you decide to quit halfway through and still offers 80% of the satisfaction of a "big" setup.

Try building a one sid version with a minimal control surface and see how you get on.

You could then add another core, and 3 more sid modules if you feel youre upto it, (2 sids per core).

And maybe use the mb6582 control surface pcb, and a pactec 10 case.

yeah, I built the single core version first. Then I started the 6582, just waiting to complete the case, all PCBS built and tested 100%!!! :D

Lots of fun. I'm actually thinking of converting my single core MBSID to something else when I get the chance, just to try out something new.