VST editor possible?

Taika-Kim

There is a VST somewhere I think, but it's out of date. is probably worth looking at as TK mentioned adding support for CC/Sys-Ex and, I assume that means it would not take too much effort to forward those events to a MIDI interface rather than the emulated sound engine. Just rampant assumption though.

And yes, you can use CC, NRPN, and Sys-Ex to talk to the MBSID such that using a framework like Synthedit may work as long as you can get it to talk to the synth via MIDI.

I took a quick peek around to get a hint on how this is supposed to work. Now I'm not a programmer at all, and this is likely to be rubbish, but somewhere on the kvr forum there was a posting about just this thing - a guy wanting a vst plugin as a midi cs for his waldorf blofeld.

And there was some talk about the vst host expecting to receive audio from the plugin, and that you couldnt use the vst platform for a pure midi cs of external gear... As I said, may be complete rubbish... Of course u could probably work around that issue, if it really is so... Hehe.

Well, not very contributing posting...

But I must say, a vst cs for the mb sid would be vert nice, would be cool to control everythi g in the studio from the vst host. So this is really interesting. But it is up to the developers to make this, not me, as I would be totally clueless. But it is dedinetly on my wishlist too!

Hmm...I can't say much about that either, but I do know that the Virus TI series uses VSTs as part of its "Total Integration" package. I'm pretty sure the VST is just sending stuff to the Virus (either using MIDI or some proprietary protocol). So it /can/ be done, but I don't know what all Access did to make it work like that on the Virus ;)

The audio thing is not an issue. No audio is audio as well ;)

Synthedit/Synthmaker will only get you so far, since the MIDIbox SID is massively complex and you'll need to have some pretty smart logic to make it work in a usable way.

Quite a while ago I've started making an editor (.exe only but fairly easy to wrap into a VST) and believe me, it's a lot of work :) [for reference has a link to the download of a fairly old version, seems to not work on win 7 and it definitely needs a MIDI device in the system or it'll crash]

Well, even something to access the basic functions would be useful to be able to more quickly edit patches inside sequencer.. Yes I was thinking that to make an UI for all the modulation etc interfaces would probably take some thinking... I will see about that editor of yours when I get new chips for my device :P Don't want to start even without filters...

• 2 weeks later...

Hmm...I can't say much about that either, but I do know that the Virus TI series uses VSTs as part of its "Total Integration" package. I'm pretty sure the VST is just sending stuff to the Virus (either using MIDI or some proprietary protocol). So it /can/ be done, but I don't know what all Access did to make it work like that on the Virus ;)

The Virus TI-part is really their own proprietary method.

The VSTi is there as an editor/librarian/etc. but also the audio is sent through from the Virus to the VST.

So basicly the Virus HW calculates the sound but the audio itself is routed/sent through the VST and out through your sound card (or additional VST effect processeing as any normal VST).

If you don't use the TI-part (VST) then it behaves just as any other MIDI-synth.