no output from sid

scottsober

I rescently built the sid module and the core 8 pcboards and no sound when I hooked up a midi keyboard to the midi in.I have the pre burned pic .I hooked up the j10 of core to j2 of the sid pcb and hooked an amp to the output of the sid board.I know the boards are built right and all voltages check out.any help would be appreciated...forum name scottsober 2-18-2012

I know the boards are built right and all voltages check out

No, you don't.

Assuming they actually are working, there's 4 more things that come to mind:

1) wiring

2) sid dead

3) no mbSID software on the pic

4) keyboard isn't sending on the right channel/the right stuff

Also, did you do any of the things in the troubleshooting section of the MIDIbox SID page on ucapps.de?

I built the sid core and sid module.I hooked the core to the sid module.I hooked up my lcd and copywrite and then ready came on screen.I tryed to get a midi keyboard hooked up to the core then hooked up a amp to the sid module.No output.I changed the 8580 sid chip still no output.I wasn't sure if I needed to download any additional things for the pic as it came pre loaded.I was wondering how to hook the core to the computer and wasn't sure how to hook the midi to usb cables to my computer.Or if there is a virtual midi keyboard I could use to try to get JUST THE BASIC SID WORKING.I HAVE ALOT OF TIME AND MONEY INTO THIS SO FAR.SO ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED.2-18-2012scottsober

Also, don't PM me with the issue and don't write any more eMails to SmashTV about it, please. If you need tech support this right here is the right place.

Sidenote: I bet money on #3 earlier in the chat. And I hate losing money. *nudgenudgewinkwink*

I am a begginer and as such I don't know how or if I need to upload the sid application .I have a pre loaded pic 18f-4685 chip and it has the ver1.96 mios on it aand bslv12b oooo oooo oooo oooo already on it.I hooked up a lcd to the core and it displays Ready.How do I get sound out?so far I hooked j2to j10 and the lcd up I also hooked up 2 diff power supplys one 15 volt ac to sid and 1 9v to core i checked the voltages at the chips they are just fine.I changed the sid chip also.still no sound after i hooked up my midi keyboard to midi in.How do I do a test tone?I have midi to usb cables but am unsure how to use em....----scottsober2-18-2012

I got the ready light on my lcd and it was mentioned that I need mios studio and setup_8580.asm Is this in addition to the programs already on my 18f4685?How do I get this into my boards?Will I have to purchase a pic burner such as pickit 2?Is pickit 2 the right pic burner?How do I do this?thanks for any help as this would be a 1st pic burned and also am a complete begginnner.I have usb to midi cables also.The pic already has mios1.9gthanks....----scottsober 2-19-2012

If you have a pre burned PIC you dont need a PIC programmer board.

just download MIOSStudio , the latest MIOS application and the MBSID application.

you need only a midi interface connected to PC and the core

run MIOSStudio then upload the MIOS into the PIC stuffed on your core

then upload the SID application.

no panic ...we all once were beginners ...just read

Antix

I just spent 4 hours trying to upload the hex file to the core and opened studio and could not upload the files I need to get in to the core.I hooked the usb of my computer to the midi in/out of the core and still couldn't seem to upload the sid app or even the mios8 I 'm seriously thinking of sending this project to someone who knows what they are doing,because I don't need the added headaches that this project has given me.I got the thing built and it says ready and now this ?I think I would have to have a masters degree in electronics to run this thing.I have built some really advanced stuff and got them to work,and I almost finished a degree associates in electronics right now.....----scottsober

Edited by nILS
Please don't full-quote, unless you actually reply to the stuff you quote.

I just spent 4 hours trying to upload the hex file to the core and opened studio and could not upload the files I need to get in to the core.I hooked the usb of my computer to the midi in/out of the core and still couldn't seem to upload the sid app or even the mios8 I 'm seriously thinking of sending this project to someone who knows what they are doing,because I don't need the added headaches that this project has given me.I got the thing built and it says ready and now this ?I think I would have to have a masters degree in electronics to run this thing.I have built some really advanced stuff and got them to work,and I almost finished a degree associates in electronics right now.....----scottsober

What's so hard about it? You fire up Mios Studio. Load setup_8580.hex and then press start. Then power on your midbox core8 and wait for upload to finish. I have managed it and i certainly don't have masters degree in electronics.

Btw. Your posts could do with some better punctuation. Makes it much easier to read and thus help you.

Why on earth did you open a new topic for the same exact problem? Seriously...

Merged.

Bit late nILS :devil: You did that around 10:00h.

Edited by Shuriken

Can you post a picture of your setup?May be helpful.

You say that you connected USB of your computer to MIDI IN / OUT of the core. Is in between a MIDI interface?

I have a maudio uno cable what is a midi interface? this has a double midi jack connected to a electronic module then to a usb cable.I think this is a midi interface made by m audio.I connected this thing to the core pc board .The cable is plugged in to my usb of the computer then to the core through two midi connectors I hooked them up to the core pc board.I then tryed mios studio it says to select in midi and out midi ports to which core is connected.The only thing to choose was the maudio uno ports or none so I clked on uno .for the browse I chose setup _8580.hex file I hit start and absolutely nothing happened.Query says no response from mios 8 or mios32 core check midi in out connections and device id which was 0.I tred for hours everything that I could and could not get a sound out of the sid .I think it is still trying to contact the core .I tred to get a test tone and no luck either.Is there a way to get this to work that I have not tryed yet?

What OS are you on? The M-Audio Uno is known to work with Win XP 32bit. It may have problems with other Operating Systems?

Another thing to check: have you connected MIDI Out of your M-Audio with MIDI In of your core? And MIDI In of the M-Audio with MIDI Out of the core? Only then will you transfer data!

I have a computer with win xp and a win 7 computer I tried both computers with the m audio.And you said the op system was win xp 32 bit I tryed that on my other win xp computer.I have two plugs to choose from they are both at the same end of the cord as you can see in the pictures I could try to flip them around.I'll flip them around and still try to upload the sid app.I have been constantly at work with this thing .From what I gather IT SHOULDN"T BE THIS DIFFICULT ....----scottsober

By the way how is everyone uploading the sid app and what are they using to do it?Ive yet to get the thing to even communicate with the core ?

Edited by nILS
Please don't double-post.

-you have to connect midi IN of the core to midi OUT of m-audio cable and midi OUT of the core to midi IN of the m-audio cable

-run MIOSStudio

-select MIDI in and out devices

-turn on the core , click on query and verify the core is responding ( as it visualize READY it is working )

-choose an HEX.file to upload ( browse and select the MBsid application you have downloaded in the MIOS download page)

-press start

if you have all the right connection it must work OK.

Edited by Antix

Scott, please, for crying out loud. Do some reading.

http://www.ucapps.de

http://www.midibox.org/dokuwiki

Everyone uses MIOSStudio to upload the app and so should you.

http://www.ucapps.de/mios_studio.html

This page (which you should have found all by yourself at this point) has detailed information on how to upload an application.

Until you have actually done what this page tells you and if it doesn't work have gone through the MIDI troubleshooting instructions noone will be able to help you. You keep wasting our time by keeping us guessing what your problem might be and seem to completely ignore all the advice given to you. The first reply in this thread already has the answer to your problem. Even before you posted that, Smash has sent you a list with the links to solve the problem you have. Now it's up to you to actually listen to the advice given. I am not going to spend anymore time trying to help you, if you keep ignoring the answers you get.

• 2 weeks later...

After connecting your device to MIOS Studio and powering it up you should see a message saying "Pic up and running" or similar. Unless you see that message you don't have the PIC core wired up to MIDI correctly.

It can be many things, the MIDI wiring is reversed or even wrong resistor value on the MIDI input (something I had with my MB-6582, put the wrong one in).