latigid on

midiphy SEQ v4+

595 posts in this topic

Great! :) Congratulations for number #30!
Best regards
Bruno

@modus0perandi has completed a new SEQ v4+ - Congratulations! :)

Here is his post, copied over from the official V4 development thread:

Here is another Midibox in the wild. Lacking both time and skills to really build one myself, i had one of the trusted builder to handle that part for me.

This one was built by @Menzman (Michael Menze) here on the forum. Very nice chap and highly recommended if anyone else wanna take this route to get your hands on this wonderful piece of hardware. You can find him via the trusted builders list @ midiphy)

midibox.jpg

Looking very good! Cheers to SEQ v4+ number #31! :cheers:

Best regards and enjoy!
Peter

Hi! I hope this is the right place to ask a question: How are the two button rows used, and how does it compare to the original Wilba SEQv4 panel?

For example, whats the process for switching between different layers (I think that's the correct term? notes/velocity/length/etc)?

I'm curious about the workflow differences between the Wilba panel and the new one, which by the way looks so amazing!

Hi, sure is!

Top row is equivalent to Wilba GP buttons. They action items on the OLEDs or e.g. in track mode toggle gates/triggers on and off.

Bottom selection row changes function depending on the selection LEDs (around the datawheel/dial). So instead of Wilba's 4x track groups and 4x tracks, you have all 16 tracks available on individual buttons, (up to) 16 step views or whatever the track supports. Likewise you have up to 16 layers available, whereas you only had layer A/B/(C: multipurpose) on Wilba's. Layers are either parameters or triggers, check the amazing user guide here.

Other than that it's quite similar, so most of the smaller dedicated buttons will be the same. Shift = Select!

Is there a shortcut for quickly saving a session? On Wilba's panel I mapped F4 (I think) but it is unclear to me what a good solution is with the new layout. Something with Shift perhaps?

Right, there are no F buttons on the midiphy SEQ v4+. Here are a couple of approaches:

1. Press 'Exit' until you reach the menu then the 10th button
  2. Assign a bookmark to the page; see seq_ui_pages.h for a list of pages to jump to
  3. Freely assign any other button that you don't use (e.g. metronome) in the hardware configuration
  4. Hack the firmware/code yourself
  5. Request such a feature 

Sweet, thanks! I find that quick saving is important for my workflow.

Hi all,

I just joined to post the pic of my finished unit.

Some comments from my side if someone starts building one and reads this before ;)

- Pay good attention to the video instructions about the parts and part numbers. Always double-check the right manufacturer part number in the BOM, as some are very similar, but have totally different functionality.

- If you accidently mix up the resistor network ICs and realise it too late, you can also use a chep "non-industrial" heat-gun to unsolder them, one which is not for soldering only, but e.g. for heating up and forming plastic stuff. (i use mine mainly to  ignite my charcoal for BBQ ;). I checked my user manual to see what temperature setting on the heatgun (1-9 or something) is approximately which temperature, i set it to about 320-350°C. Worked fine for me, jus make sure not to force the IC off to early, wait until the solder is liquid again. The resistor network itself is not very head sensitive, be sure to disassemble or cover everything else around it that might get damaged (i removed the pushbotton caps again).

- Do not forget to set the 3V jumper for the OLEDs in the beginning, you have to disassemble a lot if you are almost finished ;) Test your OLEDs as early as possible.

- I mixed up some of the different pinheaders of the mouser BOM, ended up having not the long ones left to connect the two PCBs. Then i used some different ones i had left (i think from Reichelt) and they worked even better as i did not have to push them down again as Peter did in his video.

- A little bit longer cable from the JA board (on the left-hand version only?) to the next board would have been helpful, the fitting and assembly was very tight, several times the connector went out of the socket.

Ok, now i have to connect all my stuff to get going again.

This was a lot of fun, and regarding the complexity of the project the drawbacks were minimal and easy to fix.

Thank you all for this awesome work!

Have a good time,

Enginerd

P1280217.JPG

3 people like this

@Enginerd_0x12F looks great - well done! Congratulations to #32 or #0x20 if you prefer hex :) :cheers:

Also thanks for the great feedback, this surely is helpful for future builders!

Best regards,
Peter

Got mine going -- many, many thanks to Michael Menze for building it. :happy:

P1000490.JPG

4 people like this

@ear ear - very nice! Cheers to lucky number 33! :) :cheers:

Best regards,
Peter

Posted (edited)

Done!!!!    Cant wait to get this set into my rig!

Amazing job by Hawkeye, Latigid, and of course TK!  Thank so much for making this beast available, it is truly an AWESOME piece of sequencing hardware!!

~Steve

IMG_8729.JPG

Edited by srmaietta
1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Awesome job! :cheers:

Almost forgot your serial number #34

Edited by latigid on
1 person likes this

Also done!

My first DIY in a long time - sorry Michael Menze, but i had to try it by myself :angelnot:

Also i've build the LoopA and both are running fine now (several hours).

Thanks for this great opportunity to build such a fine hardware.

~ Mic

SeqV4PlusMod.jpg

1 person likes this

@MicLue

Great work, looks very good! Cheers to official SEQ v4+ number #35! Enjoy! :cheers:

Best regards!
Peter

Very well done and thanks for the beers!?! Hope you can enjoy one yourself -- during the next jam?

Best,
Andy

It has been nearly two years already since the SEQ v4+ became available: to celebrate (and to integrate the newest L4 keycaps, the newly developed light|shields and the rack mount kit), here's the new 2020 facelift version: :-)

Enjoy and have a nice weekend! :cheers:
Peter

Finished mine today.

What an amazing project. I'm really impressed about the quality of this kit. I've been building and soldering stuff for many years (MOTM, Oakley and more) but the quality and attention to detail is unmatched. The tolerances alone are amazing (how the buttons fit into the case openings, the displays, the screw positions on the boards and case... the solid back plates etc.

It's been mentioned somewhere on this forum already: beveled tips for your soldering iron do wonders! I admit I was terrified about SMT soldering. Turns out I really, really like it; in fact, I like it more than soldering through hole - how weird.

Thank you so very much for doing this guys! 

Greetings from California

IMG-3967.thumb.jpg.378bd7065fb276bf50937

1 person likes this

Congrats and thanks for the kind testimonial! Totally right about SMT not being the devil, well as long as it's conceived for hand soldering in the design. :)

#36 is your serial number