encoder

n00b question before etching

8 posts in this topic

Hi Guys,

First of all, sorry about starting with a question here.
I remember I was around 19-20 when I first heard about uCapps, it was too difficult to me as a DIY project.
Now, I'm 33, built a few hardwares, like a Eurorack system, a few rack effects (compressor, eq) a bunch of pedals of course, and a 30 unit Buchla system.

A few days ago I was just hanging on the internet, when I read something about a MidiBox thing, totally blew me away when I realised that I've been ignoring this page for such a long time.
Now, I'm here :D

As I'm not really interested in MIDI controllers, my first choice is the SID. I have a MSSIAH modded C64, now I'm ready to build a smaller thing to use it in an everyday basis.
(It is not really hard to source a C64 in Hungary these days, a few clicks on FB to check if somebody have one in the attic...trust, somebody always have one :D )

Anyway, I have some total n00b questions :
(I know, I should read the WIKI, I'm already after that.)

- I'd like to build the total minimum version, because I can create a handsome little M4L editor to it an with this, I can store the presets with the Live projects. For this little setup, If I understood correctly, I need only the core PCB, the SID PCB, a power supply, maybe a bank stick and the SID, am I right?
- Is it possible to solder create a small PCB, instead of using the BankStick? Is it easy to re-write the presets? 127 patches are far more that enough for me.
- I have a PICkit 3 programmer, can I use this to program the PIC?
- About the power supply, let's say, a 12V DC PSU, 1000mAh is enough to power both boards?
- I'm a bit confused about the engines thing. So, can I use the module without the controls? I mean, can you access all of the parameters VIA CC or SySex?

Well, I can't think anything else now...
Thank you very much for the help in advance guys!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello, welcome to the forum. I'll try to answer your questions.

13 hours ago, encoder said:

- I'd like to build the total minimum version, because I can create a handsome little M4L editor to it an with this, I can store the presets with the Live projects. For this little setup, If I understood correctly, I need only the core PCB, the SID PCB, a power supply, maybe a bank stick and the SID, am I right?

Check out the "Step A" build. This is the minimum control surface http://www.ucapps.de/midibox_sid_cs.html

 

13 hours ago, encoder said:

- Is it possible to solder create a small PCB, instead of using the BankStick? Is it easy to re-write the presets? 127 patches are far more that enough for me.

You can even use a DB plug for a bankstick:

http://www.ucapps.de/mbhp_bankstick.html

13 hours ago, encoder said:

- I have a PICkit 3 programmer, can I use this to program the PIC?

Cross-reference the list of compatible devices with the PICs you intend to use. Note that only the initial bootloader flash is done with a programmer, thereafter over MIDI/MIOS Studio.

13 hours ago, encoder said:

- About the power supply, let's say, a 12V DC PSU, 1000mAh is enough to power both boards?

For two SIDs only? Probably okay.

13 hours ago, encoder said:

- I'm a bit confused about the engines thing. So, can I use the module without the controls? I mean, can you access all of the parameters VIA CC or SySex?

Step A CS should work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi,

Wow, thank you very much for the info, still, have some questions, if you don't mind : 

- for the minimum build, I did not want to use the LCD and buttons...basically, I thought, I can build a 2 PCB + PSU unit into a mid-size stompbox enclosure. Do I really need the LCD?
- yes, that DB plug looks fun, but originally, I wanted to keep the bankstick inside the enclosure, do not want to swap them
- checked the Pickit3, yes, it can flash the PIC
- no, no 2 SIDS, I want to build a single SIS unit only
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, encoder said:

Do I really need the LCD?

Recommended at least for building/debugging.

 

1 hour ago, encoder said:

- yes, that DB plug looks fun, but originally, I wanted to keep the bankstick inside the enclosure, do not want to swap them

No worries, just solder onto a piece of perfboard etc.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, encoder said:

- for the minimum build, I did not want to use the LCD and buttons...basically, I thought, I can build a 2 PCB + PSU unit into a mid-size stompbox enclosure. Do I really need the LCD?

You're not obliged to put a CS, a MIOS8 Core wih MIDI I/O  + SID Module are enough, PIC must be a 18f4685, as Andy said a good and linear power supply is necessary for the SID.

On SID v2 Application User manual page you will find Sysex and CC implementation.
Best
Bruno

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You might be interested in these two files. They are what I used. The Swin sid board is interesting. You may prefer it over building a sid. It does not have the filter bug, has additional voices, custom wave forms and for what sid chips are selling for you can build it as a double sid for less then the cost of 1 sid chip or commodore 64. You also have a much simpler single voltage power supply to think about. 

The advantages of 2 sids in one box are many here are just a few ideas: stereo, multiple voices, detune for fatter sounds...

bankstick edits fliped[1].pdf

SWiNX22MC resized and updated[1].pdf

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, gerald.wert said:

You might be interested in these two files. They are what I used. The Swin sid board is interesting. You may prefer it over building a sid. It does not have the filter bug, has additional voices, custom wave forms and for what sid chips are selling for you can build it as a double sid for less then the cost of 1 sid chip or commodore 64. You also have a much simpler single voltage power supply to think about. 

The advantages of 2 sids in one box are many here are just a few ideas: stereo, multiple voices, detune for fatter sounds...

bankstick edits fliped[1].pdf

SWiNX22MC resized and updated[1].pdf

Thank you guys!
Oh, Gerald, that is nice! Do you have the parts layout for the Swin version as well?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now