n00b question before etching

encoder

Hi Guys,

First of all, sorry about starting with a question here.
I remember I was around 19-20 when I first heard about uCapps, it was too difficult to me as a DIY project.
Now, I'm 33, built a few hardwares, like a Eurorack system, a few rack effects (compressor, eq) a bunch of pedals of course, and a 30 unit Buchla system.

A few days ago I was just hanging on the internet, when I read something about a MidiBox thing, totally blew me away when I realised that I've been ignoring this page for such a long time.
Now, I'm here :D

As I'm not really interested in MIDI controllers, my first choice is the SID. I have a MSSIAH modded C64, now I'm ready to build a smaller thing to use it in an everyday basis.
(It is not really hard to source a C64 in Hungary these days, a few clicks on FB to check if somebody have one in the attic...trust, somebody always have one :D )

Anyway, I have some total n00b questions :
(I know, I should read the WIKI, I'm already after that.)

- I'd like to build the total minimum version, because I can create a handsome little M4L editor to it an with this, I can store the presets with the Live projects. For this little setup, If I understood correctly, I need only the core PCB, the SID PCB, a power supply, maybe a bank stick and the SID, am I right?
- Is it possible to solder create a small PCB, instead of using the BankStick? Is it easy to re-write the presets? 127 patches are far more that enough for me.
- I have a PICkit 3 programmer, can I use this to program the PIC?
- About the power supply, let's say, a 12V DC PSU, 1000mAh is enough to power both boards?
- I'm a bit confused about the engines thing. So, can I use the module without the controls? I mean, can you access all of the parameters VIA CC or SySex?

Well, I can't think anything else now...
Thank you very much for the help in advance guys!

Hello, welcome to the forum. I'll try to answer your questions.

13 hours ago, encoder said:

- I'd like to build the total minimum version, because I can create a handsome little M4L editor to it an with this, I can store the presets with the Live projects. For this little setup, If I understood correctly, I need only the core PCB, the SID PCB, a power supply, maybe a bank stick and the SID, am I right?

Check out the "Step A" build. This is the minimum control surface http://www.ucapps.de/midibox_sid_cs.html

- Is it possible to solder create a small PCB, instead of using the BankStick? Is it easy to re-write the presets? 127 patches are far more that enough for me.

You can even use a DB plug for a bankstick:

http://www.ucapps.de/mbhp_bankstick.html

- I have a PICkit 3 programmer, can I use this to program the PIC?

Cross-reference the list of compatible devices with the PICs you intend to use. Note that only the initial bootloader flash is done with a programmer, thereafter over MIDI/MIOS Studio.

- About the power supply, let's say, a 12V DC PSU, 1000mAh is enough to power both boards?

For two SIDs only? Probably okay.

- I'm a bit confused about the engines thing. So, can I use the module without the controls? I mean, can you access all of the parameters VIA CC or SySex?

Step A CS should work.

Hi,

Wow, thank you very much for the info, still, have some questions, if you don't mind : 

- for the minimum build, I did not want to use the LCD and buttons...basically, I thought, I can build a 2 PCB + PSU unit into a mid-size stompbox enclosure. Do I really need the LCD?
- yes, that DB plug looks fun, but originally, I wanted to keep the bankstick inside the enclosure, do not want to swap them
- checked the Pickit3, yes, it can flash the PIC
- no, no 2 SIDS, I want to build a single SIS unit only

1 hour ago, encoder said:

- for the minimum build, I did not want to use the LCD and buttons...basically, I thought, I can build a 2 PCB + PSU unit into a mid-size stompbox enclosure. Do I really need the LCD?

You're not obliged to put a CS, a MIOS8 Core wih MIDI I/O  + SID Module are enough, PIC must be a 18f4685, as Andy said a good and linear power supply is necessary for the SID.

On SID v2 Application User manual page you will find Sysex and CC implementation.
Best
Bruno

You might be interested in these two files. They are what I used. The Swin sid board is interesting. You may prefer it over building a sid. It does not have the filter bug, has additional voices, custom wave forms and for what sid chips are selling for you can build it as a double sid for less then the cost of 1 sid chip or commodore 64. You also have a much simpler single voltage power supply to think about. 

The advantages of 2 sids in one box are many here are just a few ideas: stereo, multiple voices, detune for fatter sounds...

bankstick edits fliped[1].pdf

SWiNX22MC resized and updated[1].pdf

1 hour ago, gerald.wert said:

You might be interested in these two files. They are what I used. The Swin sid board is interesting. You may prefer it over building a sid. It does not have the filter bug, has additional voices, custom wave forms and for what sid chips are selling for you can build it as a double sid for less then the cost of 1 sid chip or commodore 64. You also have a much simpler single voltage power supply to think about. 

The advantages of 2 sids in one box are many here are just a few ideas: stereo, multiple voices, detune for fatter sounds...

bankstick edits fliped[1].pdf

SWiNX22MC resized and updated[1].pdf

Thank you guys!
Oh, Gerald, that is nice! Do you have the parts layout for the Swin version as well?

• 5 weeks later...

Here is the info you need to build the swin sid. There is a typo in the pdf the processor is an Atmegs 8515. Be sure not to get the "a" version of the TDA 1543 it will not work. The red lines are solid links. I thought the 1U caps on the audio output are a bit high and will cause some roll off of the low frequencies but have not changed them and it sounds pretty good as it is. There are some other swin sid designs around but they are surface mount and not as easy to build. This is all through hole parts. I would socket everything so you do not have to worry about over heating any of the chips. If you have the time you could put in sockets for the output caps and experiment with caps to see if it makes a difference. I had a thread with some possible recommended values from the TDA data sheet and I was also asking about how to connect the 1725 series dac. It is a surface mount but is supposed to sound much better. There are extra lines to connect and was not sure where they should go... If you want to try other component values the TDA 1543 data sheet recommends a 3.3nf and a 1.2kr as the filter circuit on the output. This will bring the cutoff much lower and should improve the bass response. Maybe it sounds off or boomy or something though I can not think of another reason for the swin design to be rolling off so high.

pcm1725[1].pdf

tda1543[1].pdf

SwinSIDX2_MB_20090820[1].hex

SWiNX22[1].pdf

Just saw your reply today... hope this helps you. I think you can source all these parts for under $10.

Edited by gerald.wert