latigid on

Troubleshooting midiphy SEQ v4+

462 posts in this topic

Thanks for your reply, actually testing the matrix with seq_r (seq_l either) on CC16 (ch1, with the NG loaded) doesnt seems to work, cant figure out if i'm missing something but i will try again this this afternoon. By the way here's another video of the beast booting up, hope it will help find this little problem

Thanks for the report; the matrix scan would be useful, but it does look somehow like the bottom two rows are connected?

If the rest of the SRIO chain is fine probably the issue is with the output side.

I would check the cable for shorts once more. Plug a double-row pinheader in and check continuity for adjacent pins starting in the bottom-left corner 1-2 (bottom right if you view from the pin side) but also the top pin to the next in the series 2-3 etc.

2 4 ...
1 3
notch this side

The rows are on 8-pin header J5 and the corresponding side of the 24-pin header. Check the male pin headers too.

For soldering:

Disconnect the IDC24/16/8 cable and power. Are there shorts on adjacent pins of IC18 on lemec_R? Pins 1,2,17 and 18 would be of interest. 
On IC17, check for shorts on pins 6,7 and 8 especially.
On the JA board, the pinout for the LED matrices has row 1 on pin 5 and row 2 on pin 2 (there's a silkscreen indication for pin 1). Check that there are no shorts there especially.

With _NG and probably best with no .NGC loaded, you can use the MIOS terminal command

set dout x 1

where x is the shift register pin and 1 turns it on. Count the number of SRs in the chain *8 to set the pins of IC17 The idea is to see if you can control the 74HC595 pins independently. You can also use this to test the matrix: turn on row one and then the columns in turn with the subsequent 8 SR pins.

Good luck!
Andy

Hi all, 

I'm almost done with my build. I've been lucky since I've gone so far without too much problems for my first build ever. Thanks for the video guides which have been more than helpful. 

It seems the only problem I've is with the Oled screens:

Each screen works when plugged individually, I swapped the cables to check that there are no shorts in the cables but when I plug the two screens in the core only the screen 2 works. 

Does anyone have an idea how to troubleshoot this further? 

Thanks for the help and for all the development behind this machine, can't wait to try it out! 

Laurent

Hi,

I had a similar problem with the "non-plus" version of the sequencer. If I recall correctly, the issue was in 3.3V vs 5V.

Check if Jarvis here in the OLED display thread on page 2 describes your issue. If so, the solution was provided a couple of posts below.

Hi Karg,

I tried switching the voltage toggle to all positions on the STM32F4 but it doesn't resolve the problem. It is on 5v in. Followed the video tutorial to prepare the core. The displays appear to be 3,3v on the Midiphy shop.

How can I proceed further?

Thanks!

So, I've tried setting lcd_type to 0x02 in the bootloader but still no luck.

@laual, congrats to your build so far, the displays should be fixable, too! :)

I am sure Andy will chime in later on, but meanwhile, could you check R33A, R33B, R33C and R33D on the wCore?

R33A-C should be all 1k, but R33D must be 560R. Now if you had a 1k in R33D, that might explain what is going on (happened to me, too :)).

J15_S needs to be set at 3.3V.

Many greets!
Peter

Hi Peter,

Resistance on the core are correct but I appear to be missing "J15_S needs to be set at 3.3V". How do I set this? Do I jumper the middle pin with the 3.3V pin?

Edit:

That was it, I must have missed this step in the build guide. It's working now, I'll make a quick jump between middle pin and 3.3V.

Thanks a lot (also for the video guides)

Edited by laual

Hi Laurent,

That's probably it, there is no power supply to the OLEDs in this case and they are likely parasitically powered somehow.

Here you can borrow the jumpers from the v407 board:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QaN26uzUA1A&t=3357s

I'm on holiday and the internet is too slow for me to find the tutorial step where the jumpers are inserted, but yes, you must connect the middle pin of J15_S to the 3v3 side.

Hope that solves it!

Best,
Andy

My V4+ is almost built but  I have 1 small problem. The mighty beat LED colors are inverted, green on the beat, red on the measure. Checked the RJ9 resistors, they are all ok, looked in config, I have no idea why this is happening. Help!

You could swap the resistors around or simply the pins in the HWCFG:

#           SR  Pin ##default
LED_BEAT    M5B  0
LED_MEASURE M5B  1

#           SR  Pin ##swapped
LED_BEAT    M5B  1
LED_MEASURE M5B  0

There is also a setting in the options menu to invert the LED colours (MENU>UTILITY>OPT.; maybe this has an effect somehow?:

OPTIONS page: new option "Swap LED colours" (relevant for Wilba and midiphy Frontpanels)

Fixed, by swapping the values in the HWCFG. Now to button up and take some pics.

Thanks Andy.