SID in progress

Jorge

Hi,

as promised many posts ago here are some pics of my quad SID .

The design is obviously based on Thorstens although I prefer the display at the top of the control surface.

In-Progress.jpg

Every thing laid out.

Another-In-Progress.jpg

Rear view.

Before-Space-Saving.jpg

Chips installed.

Whole-Front-In-Progress.jpg

Front panel in progress.

Underside-of-CS-Start.jpg

Underside of front panel.

Matrix-Rear.jpg

Matrix rear.

More-Wiring.jpg

Start of wiring loom.

CS-DOUT-Wiring.jpg

Close up of DOUT.

Capacitors-Laid-Flat.jpg

Ended up removing the powercaps on the cores as they wern't needed and laid all others flat

to save space as it was becoming a bit of a squeeze.

Note new power supply design as the old one had problems re. heat etc.

LCD-Close-Up.jpg

Success.

Knobs.jpg

Designed my own soft touch knobs using 3D CAD.

Mould-For-Soft-Buttons.jpg

And buttons.

Pattern-Mould-For-Data-Knob.jpg

Patterns and moulds for data knob.

Pattern-For-Data-Knob.jpg

D shaft pattern for data knob.

Rear-View.jpg

Whole rear view.

Right-Front.jpg

Error on envelope section, should read "Depth" instead of  "Delay".

Things left to do?

Lots although the end is in sight,

DIN wiring loom,

some how erase,fill,recolour the error on the envelope section, laser engrave "Depth" instead of "Delay" and  fill letters with paint,

stick soft buttons on,

put knobs on,

and have fun....... ;D

Jorge.....

Front panel is made from acylic sheet (perspex /plexi) laser cut from cad drawings, glued using solvents such as MEK, dichloromethane, chloroform etc. Sticks really well to ABS, styrene which is what I think the C64 case is made from.

Knob patterns were cut on a 3D milling machine in a hard enginering wax ( the blue stuff), the moulds were cast in silicone RTV (room temp vulcanisation) rubber, the knobs were cast in fast cast resin (Hexcel etc polyurethane resin), the soft rubber outer surface of the knobs and the soft buttons were cast in the same rubber as the moulds with the addition of pigment to match as close as I could get to the colour of the C64 keys (trying to retain a retro look to the design), the coloured rubber was cast in a mould made from a pattern making material sometimes known as chemi wood, I forget the trade names for it at the moment, these were also cut on the same 3D milling set up as the other patterns.

All the patterns and moulds are keyed together with the little hemisperes on each surface so two fit together to produce the knob base in resin, blue pattern + rubber mould then blue pattern that produced rubber mould is used with chemi wood pattern to produce soft rubber outer skin.

Only really made easy because all the cad data is referenced off each other.

Its what's called subtractive rapid prototyping.

I'm lucky 'cause I have access to that kind of tech at work, I'm a pro modelmaker in another world when I'm not spending hours soldering  ;D.

All done using Microstation and a small Roland Modella 3D cad milling machine.

They cost about £3000 so one day I may get one for home , the also can do 2D engraving.

Oh yea the front panel and case was sprayed with as close a colour as I could find to the original C64 case then the lettering was laser engraved and filled in with paint then laquered.

Laser cutters are also getting cheaper about £6000 for a desk top version so one day I may also get one of those as well.

Thanks for your comments,

Jorge...... :) 

DOUT wiring loom is finished,

installed the memory bank EEPROMS, all eight of them and had the joy of seeing MIOS format every bank

from A-H into 128 slots,

populated all the DIN boards, two from Smash and one DINx1 I etched myself,

next to do is mount them under the front panel and wire the encoders and switches.

Nearly there... ;D

Jorge......

that is such an amazing case! looks like its straight off a production line at cbm back in the 80s! i'm green with envy! the wee laser engraved midibox logo is just the icing on the cake! great work and be sure to post more pics as you progress further! :)

• 2 years later...
  • 7 months later...