traktor controller design

ranger930

hi,

my first design idea for a traktor controller:

front4ft.jpg

i'm not shure , i hope, i can use all these funktions with traktor and 2 cores of Midi64E,

the 2 big wheels will be made out of aluminium, the 2 small wheels ( for tempo control ) too,

the small black push buttons are from conrad (germany) ( Anreihtaster),

faders. pots and encoder are from alps,

in the middle( top) you can see a jog dial from a Denon Double CD Player, ( cheap from Ebay),

please tell me you opinions, ideas are very welcome,

ranger930

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Cool design, though personally I think the area around the LCD looks a little empty with the screen stuck there almost like an afterthought. Very cool layout though, and I love the big "turntables" so you can scratch. You gonna coat the aluminium with something so they're not too slippy?

First: Thnx for resizing! ;D

Really looks good! And like some kinda work, too! ;)

Anyhow: I really would put the LCDs a little higher. Reason: When you work with your thing, you "should always" see them. If you have your hand over the scratch wheels or somewhere else you won´t be able to read the LCDs. Just as a small hint.

And: When u use those layouts, did you think about bringing in the DINs/DOUTs and so on partly or all directly on the PCB? I did so and it wasn´t as much work as I first thought (you can copy&paste layouts in Eagle pretty easy - it´s stated in the tutorial somewhere). This way you´re saving a lot of cables and space -> your case becomes more compact and your stuff more stable (meaning both failures: The soldering itself and the breaking/bending/whatever of cables).

Nice one! Looking forward! :D

hi ,

@pay_c:

i know the positions of the lcds are not so good, but i thing it's not necessary to have lcds for traktor, because traktor ist not able to send midi out events,

now i decided to use only one lcd to read programing messages from mios, not integrated in the front panel,

the push buttons are soldered directly on the pcbs,

and this is a little board to check the middle posstion of the crossfader,

i will use a small cheap microcontroler ( only 4 euro ), the led shows the middlepostion

picaxe1fg.png

picaxeboard1dt.png

greetz ranger930

• 1 month later...

One more hint - you know there's a bug in Traktor regarding scratching, right? Unless you're using the MIDI timecode discs in Final Scratch it doesn't really scratch very well. There's a lot of skipping and popping.

The bug has been present since Traktor 2.0 and while NI has been informed about it multiple times there's been no fix from them yet.

-drin

Mirroring Drin's scratch comments...

One other thing - I think that those tempo reset buttons are setting you up for some massive ohshit moments to happen when you accidentally reset one and the train comes on. Might want to reposition - or, if MIOS can do this, require that they be pressed for a time, or be pressed 3 times in a row or something.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi,

not 6cm , 10cm, i thing it's enough,

why only layout for t2 ?

because T2.6.2 is more stable than T3 ( native instruments forum ! )

why 1: 1 copy of T2 ?

why not, i have big fingers and i thing my layout looks like a real mixer,

this is my first prototype, everything can happen in the future,

encoder is from a double cd player remote unit, sometimes very cheap at ebay, it's an alps encoder

best regards ranger930

very nice layout :)

but why u dont make more place between the pots ???

cause when I´m mixing and turn for example the middle and high pot on 1 section at same time, i dont want to touch both fingers together......need more place for berzerking the mix ;)

Regards

MTE