new and improved WIKI !!

illogik

Hey people,

The new WIKI is in effect now

Due to the vast amount of topics and postings in the ever growing forum, it’s getting harder to actually find what you want to know.

People who’ve been hanging around here for quite some time know, that one of the effects of this is that some general questions are being asked (and answered) again and again…

The WIKI can provide us with a more fexible place to put this info; Instead of saying “search the forum for…†then we could say “look it up in the WIKIâ€, which  is better, because people can edit the info there, making it more complete (adding their own questions/answers and so on.). Of course the WIKI will also be more reader friendly, you don’t have to search so much as the info is better organized.

So the idea is to make the WIKI a living knowledge base where every member can write down midibox related info in their own words!! Step by step tutorials, frequently asked questions, problems you encountered while building hardware/uploading software/getting your box to work.

The WIKI is also the right place to publish and introduce your own MIOS or MBHP related projects like PCB layouts, schematics, MIOS applications. Even "blogs" are welcome. You can ask an admin (Twin-X, SmashTV, TK) for putting the files on the midibox.org server, you will always be able to improve the documentation.

The new WIKI allows you to log in with your forum name/password, so no excuses….write!! ;)

As the introduction on the WIKI says;

“do not be afraid - edit & add as much as you want, the worst that can happen is that it gets changed again!!! Enjoy!â€

Thanks Marcel for taking this announcement off my back! ;D (I had to hide for 10 days to escape this responsibility - no, not really 8))

Although we're talking about "New and Improved" wiki, it's still found from the old address:

http://wiki.midibox.org/

This wiki is docuwiki based and You can find the syntax from the http://wiki.splitbrain.org/wiki:syntax

All contributions welcome - Come on People, be active, share Your knowledge!

Moebius

Nice work :)

The WIKI is also the right place to publish and introduce your own MIOS or MBHP related projects like PCB layouts, schematics, MIOS applications. Even "blogs" are welcome. You can ask an admin (Twin-X, SmashTV, TK) for putting the files on the midibox.org server, you will always be able to improve the documentation.

Well in that case... I wanted to put a few things online - A blog of construction of a 4xSID, MBFM and MBSEQ, and design and code blog for my sequencer... How do I go about that?

Edit: Sorry if that's a stupid question but I've never used a wiki... I can see how to edit and format the pages, but I'm not sure how to create pages...

I wanted to do that because I see so many other cool customizations being spoken of, but often the final successful implementation goes unpublished... It seems a shame. Maybe some other projects might like to join mine on the wiki too? :)

Well in that case... I wanted to put a few things online - A blog of construction of a 4xSID, MBFM and MBSEQ, and design and code blog for my sequencer... How do I go about that?

Edit: Sorry if that's a stupid question but I've never used a wiki... I can see how to edit and format the pages, but I'm not sure how to create pages...

It's very simple, you only need to insert an internal link into a page in order to create a new page.

Example: after login click on the "edit this page" button. Insert [[blogs]] somewhere in the mainpage (where it makes sense). After this change has been saved, you can click on the Blogs link in order to view and edit this page...

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Hey, this thing is really great!!

Seeing as each blog would be specific to a person or group, I've started my blog in the user_gallery section. Admins/Moderators, Please let me know if I should move it.

Anyway, jump aboard people! :)

Stryd One: In order to avoid name conflicts, I've added a "stryd_one_..." prefix before your links.

Example: [[stryd_one_MBSeq|MBSeq]]

(the text behind the | is the description which will be displayed)

I've also removed user_gallery and usergalley, since they are redundant. Currently I propose to add your names to the mainpage

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Ah, excellent, thanks TK. I just noticed the potential for conflicting links...

I found a MS Word - Doku converter which seems to be for a different syntax, so I am modifying it and will put it on the wiki when it's tested.

FYI it came from here http://infpro.com/downloads/downloads/wordmedia.htm and here http://www.wakatara.com/blog/archives/2005/01/17/on-collaborative-simplicity-and-the-word2dokuwiki-macro/

There's also one for OpenOffice which I havent't tested yet, if anyone's interested: http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/hillview/OOo/

Thanks Therezin... I wouldn't hold your breath though ;) Some of the people will remember me thinking that monster up in mid '03. Admittedly I've had a few major hurdles to jump but still, I sadly have to admit that I expect it to be some time before it's complete. Don't doubt it though, it will be made one day :) It's at a stage at the moment where the code has been written in VB (windows apps) for many of the separateparts, but it'll have to be ported to ASM and then lots of debugging once I strap it all together...

Meanwhile, I've put up a chart for the FM chips, I'll update that from info I can find on these forums, but if anyone feels like pitching in, feel free :)

http://www.midibox.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=soundcards_with_ymf262_and_or_yac512_chips

And in my blog, under Preparation, I've put up the code for a vbscript MSWord to DokuWiki Converter

http://www.midibox.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=stryd_one_word2doku

Enjoy!

I've started a page which lists the forum highlights, it might be a good "information center" for people who are new to the forum.

http://www.midibox.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=forum_highlights

feel free to add your favourite links (*)

Best Regards, Thorsten.

(*) I don't want to say, that the first entries are my only favourites! I wasn't able to find them all again within the short time ;-)

• 4 weeks later...

I wanted to add the Curve and LFO Sync modification in the SID section, but I can't. The text is cut. Maybe the SID FAQ page is too big ?

Thanks,

ludo

It cannot be too big.

Have you logged in to the wiki? Do you get an error?

I wanted to add the Curve and LFO Sync modification in the SID section, but I can't. The text is cut.

maybe you have an unclosed tag somewhere?

is your syntax right and not overlapping with the wiki-syntax?

it happened to me, too, but this has always been a syntax error somewhere!

best,

michael

Ok, I succeed to add the text. The Wiki seems to do not like the tab from the Mac. I've replace them with space.

Two new sections in the Midibox SID :

# How to add Curve control

# How to add LFO Sync control

Feel free to correct my sentences.

Many thanks to Chriss in helping me to code this.

Thanks,

ludo

I don't see it?

The following pages were changed recently.

2006/04/15 11:33  how_to_use_xcode2_as_ide_on_a_mac added forum link audiocommander

2006/04/15 00:00  stryd_one stryd_one

I see me writing doco for you guys at midnight, then a.c being a mac geek, but no SID goodies :'( ;) hehehhe

• 4 weeks later...

Seems to me like the Wiki has the potential to be the very best "single point" for researching MIDIbox stuff.  I have been lurking and occasionally offering input over the past couple of years and have finally found a bit of spare time and $ to start building stuff.  This has led to me actively seeking out parts and stuff!

So I got into the Wiki and so far I find it lacking.  It just needs content.  So ....

Everything that I discover (with confirmed info, of course) over the next short while I will add to the Wiki.  It's mostly going to be parts-related, for now. I am going to take a few liberties and copy small passages of text from this forum and from TK's site as necessary to add what I believe is most beneficial to people who have the same questions as me.  I will keep in mind that the Wiki is a supplementary resource to the official MBHP/MIOS specs published on Thorsten's site.

If anybody has any problem with this please let me know.