majjam

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

bad news !!!

testet all chips in a a fast test.Played some sid over them Some are broken ok that happens and was calculated. (8 or 10)

BUT

on 60 (sixty) !! the filter seems to be broken. I played some sids on them and a voice was missing.

messed around with goattracker and found out that all voices work with all different waveforms.

when i switch on a low pass the voice breaks down or it just clicks :(

Seems to be two different batches

maybe i have to use other capacitors or something else i dont know.

cant believe that because the samples i preorderd worked 23/of24 Maybe the signal length to the sid is to big.

i used an external socket on my c64.

So i have to go in deeper tests to check my environment and the sids. i hope they are not just trash and i can use them/send them to you.

If you have any suggestions please let me know.

I'd say 60 is an AWFUL LOT!

Personally, I'd wonder wether you got stiffed by the chip seller. However, I might be interested in a couple of chips with working oscs and broken filters.

I don't think so... I've had similar bad luck with salvaged 6581... I've never got one with a working filter, and many had dead oscillators too. I've got about 8 (10? 12?) 6581s of varying degrees of broken. As soon as you started to use the filter, it would pop, make noise, go silent, etc... generally stop working until you reset it (power it off completely, I think). I remember some broken 8580s were like that too... if MB-SID started on a patch that didn't use the filter, it was OK, but as soon as you switched to a patch that used the filter, it just stopped working, or make strange noises, and changing patch didn't do anything... it's a one-way street, turn on the filter and it just curls up and dies.

Any "respectable" chip seller will refund or replace chips you test as D.O.A., hopefully yours will.

BTW, really sorry to hear about your bad luck, majjam... I was really hoping you'd get a good bunch with few broken ones.

UPDATE

I have to pay for the shipping in one direction. The will send mee 100 new chips for testing. I can get the chips i want and send back the rest.

Sorry for the delay of all things, but i didn't want to send you rubbish chips.

greetz

So hopefully everyone gets its chips before christmas

*UPDATE*

The exchange chips will arrive me on Monday or Tuesday.

Next week i`ll test the chips and hopefully I can deliver all of you with good quality chips.

I soldered yesterday a mbsid and a mbcore on vectorboard for the tests. Nice thing ! :)

If i don't get enough good quality chips i will send the chips out in order of your ordering dates.

So please get your paypal accounts prepared.

best wishes for all of us and

happy synthesizing

Max

thanks for the updates, I kinda got a bit worried that it might not follow through after all, but glad it's still on track!

And what Nils says: no need to rush, awesome job anyways :D Can't wait to restock my c64's with their original sids (it never hurts to have a couple of machines spare for playing around :D)