Midibox of the Week : MB-6582 of JV

julienvoirin

Very nice!

People commented that they expected the ALBS knobs to be bigger but they look perfect to me.

The mis-aligning of the labels on the fron-panal doesn't look to be too much of an issue once the thing is put together.

I think we're oing to have an aweful lot of Wilbabeasts appearing on here in the next few months.

ALBS knobs to be bigger
they are too big, it is hard to easily go pushing buttons

mis-aligning of the labels
absolutly no problem. more problem with the leds holes which are often too small.

some hints :

jb weld in the corners was shitty, not enough resistive ; so i drilled the panel. but it works perfect on the spacers, maybe cause of the screwliner inside the spacer (help the jb weld strength).

test all your leds with a battery (CR2032) before soldering. Some were ultra bright, others were only bright, obvious the vendor (selectronic) told me they were all the same ! sorting before soldering is a good idea (ouf ! i did it), in order to get the same led type in the matrix for example. I used 2k resistors to reduce brightness.

There is a gap of 3mm between the panel and the display : i will go at Leroy Merlin (bricolage stuff) tonight and get a piece of plexiglas to complete.

Be careful with the display on the PCB : add rubber on his front side to avoid short circuits.(that would send lots of random messages otherwise)

TBC

cheers

I wonder how they'd look if the bottoms were sanded down a bit? Obviously they couldn't be made much smaller because of the fairly large holes in the panal. I may get some spare knobs in the next order and investigate this... Wouldn't want to wreck the translucent red ones though  :-\

G

Nice work JV. It looks very close to mine, the only difference are the knobs. I used the clear ones. I think we should start a thread where everyboy that has built a MB6582 can post his picture. So we can easily compare the boxes with each other.

LOL.... "MB6582 of the week"

some hints :

jb weld in the corners was shitty, not enough resistive ; so i drilled the panel. but it works perfect on the spacers, maybe cause of the screwliner inside the spacer (help the jb weld strength).

hmmm another builder drills the corners.  maybe something to consider if another run of panels is done..

• 1 month later...

LOL.... "MB6582 of the week"

Jep.... that is a quite sad thing IMO.

Wilba did a good job - no doubt, but now, all those MB-6582s look quite the same.

Everyone buys a PCB, a Pactec PT-10 case and the frontpanel - and it's all the same.

Just have a look in the MB-Gallery. There were so many different, interesting, sexy and sometimes just damnright crazy cases.

Of course - it's not that *everyone* is building a MB-6582, but there are many. And now Wilba's MB is has nothing unique anymore.

just my 2 cents

matthias

i see what you mean, but this is only true of the cs which everyone is not using.

also wilbas own front panel is more unique...

The only difference is that one some cs's the silk-screening is different (using symbols for waveforms, etc), and the color of the LEDs, the 4*20 Display and the ALBS-Waldorf knobs is different  :-\