-=] TupperSID [=-

sonofdirt

hi

i liked the design.My closest friends here have a band called Tupperwear www.colectivodrone.org/tupperwear.html so i thought i could give them a little present a little TupperSID, is that i ok if i steal your idea?

Simone

Is it okay if you steal this guys idea you mean!  ;)

http://www.midibox.org/forum/index.php?topic=8963.0

Edit: Just realised that you might want to use the custom psu & bankstick circuit!

Hi everyone, thanks for all your replies! It's very nice to see there is interest in my modest little TupperSID in comparison to many of the masterpiece builds on the forum. (ahem, Wilba!)

I was in a rush to post my first pics, and my last reply was done quickly on a cell phone so for that I apologize. Now I finally have time for a proper write up so here we go...

First of all I built my SID and CORE modules from kits that I ordered from SmashTV and I've said it before and will say again, I am really impressed with the quality of his stuff. I highly recommend that any first time builders start by ordering his PCB's at the very least, they are awesome! Next, I bought 3 commodore64's on ebay to salvage for parts. The first one was the original brown style with a 6581 inside; I plan to use this case for my next build and the best part is it came with a nice faux leather dust cover! The other 2 were 64c's because i wanted to find an 8580 chip but no luck! I just got 2 more 6581's... oh well, I guess I'll have to live with the weak filter until the 6582's I just ordered from Wilba arrive, yayuH!

Next I hooked up my LCD which was kinda tricky, I had to solder together a few jumper pads on the back of it to get it working but after a little experimentation it lit up and was looking nice.

can you post the LCD's serial numbero pease?

:D

Check this out, you can see the part# incorporated into my frontpanel concept art:

image.thumb.png.08a5021a9db74ff123260bbe5bcf4a75.png

The actual part number printed on mine is longer... it's CFAH2002A-YMI-JPV, and off the top of my head I don't remember what the extra letters mean but I think it has something to do with language and voltage specs so be sure you understand what you're ordering.

Obviously this panel is too large for the TupperSID... This panel is for my next build in the original c64 case which I will vynil dye either white, black, orange, blue, or something else (TBD). It will have 8 SID's and will be built around Wilba's MB-6582 PCB which I am really looking forward to ordering as soon as SmashTV stocks them in his store.

Q: Where did I get my 99cent enclosure?

A: The 99cent store of course!

...is that i ok if i steal your idea?

Edit: Just realised that you might want to use the custom psu & bankstick circuit!

Yes by all means feel free to learn from, recycle, reuse, and implement any of my ideas that's the MIDIbox spirit! After all, this forum wouldn't exist if our founder Thorsten Klose had not shared his freaking awesome designs. In fact my PSU/Bankstick circuit is remake of another with plenty of tweaks and different layout to serve the purposes of my own design. Essentially, it's based on TK's Optimized C64 PSU with the Banksticks hooked up to the appropriate power rails, etc. This was my first circuit I ever designed using CadSoft EAGLE which I found to be a very nice tool. I have attached my layout files below for anyone who wants them. I think this PSU/Bankstick circuit is perfect for the beginner or minimal setup and if you use it please let me know what you think, thanks!

- sonofdirt

TupperSID PSU+Bank.zip

TupperSID PSU+Bank.zip

Edited by sonofdirt
fixed broken image link

It sure is pretty and techie with all the graphics going on on the panel, but I'm not sure if I'd be able to find the right knob/button while tweaking ;-)

I was thinking the same when I first saw that layout.

But on the other side your panel will have 3 instead of 2 dimensions as on the picture, so it'll probably be easier to locate the buttons/LEDs on the real panel as it is on the picture.